Your thoughts

Help Support CattleToday:

Depends on what im trying to do. In a commercial herd id want something with good growth if for terminal calves.This bull shows that by the numbers, i dont think they will hold, he is to extreme for me either way.

My main goal is to build my herd.
To get quality heifers to replace some of my older cows.
And who know maybe even looking to get quality herd bull.

His numbers remind me of Iron Mountain. I liked that bull and used him to make some balancers but his numbers took a dramatic turn for thw worse as he aged.

If you are building a cowherd remember this.........THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD CAN BE A REAL GOOD PLACE TO BE SOMETIMES

moderation in all things is still good advice. now if it's terminal you're looking for then all bets are off.

dt34715":22n59rbz said:
My main goal is to build my herd.
To get quality heifers to replace some of my older cows.
And who know maybe even looking to get quality herd bull.
3way gave you some good advice. I can understand using him as a terminal but I wouldn't keep a daughter unless I owned a feed store.

Can someone give me some good pointers when selection a bull for AI? What do I look for when wanting to keep heifers from an AI bull?

dt34715":32eztdn4 said:
Can someone give me some good pointers when selection a bull for AI? What do I look for when wanting to keep heifers from an AI bull?
Milk, maternal calving ease, scrotal, WW and YW. If you need to improve carcass throw in fat, marbling and REA. I also check back several generations to get a better idea if the EPDs should hold up. That's the number side, I also look at FS and the bulls overall structure. But that's a given with any bull

dt34715":2tsenlfp said:
I'm surprised there arent; more responses. Those are the things I look for, others very likely look at other things too or different things.

One thing I always try to do is see a picture or preferably a video of the bull's dam so I can get a good idea of what type of female he is coming from, especially if I am keeping replacements.

Three Way gave you great advice the middle of the road is the best road to travel when breeding. When we look at bulls to use we look at the cow family that is behind him. We look at genetics first, phenotype then EPD's you have to have a genetic plan to make good cows. D un also gave you some excellent advice. The bull your looking at looks great right now but he is young and with numbers that extreme it is hard to believe they will stand the test of time. Remember it takes you five years to really know if a breeding decision has worked the way you want it to or not. So you sure want to make the right decisions, don't go chasing rabbits.

If you really want to look at bulls bred for maternal excellence take a look at http://www.sinclaircattle.com/ they have some good ones. I don't know what is going on with them now since Jeff Ward and Lewis Hagan left but the bulls developed under those two gentlemen should stand the test of time.

gizmom

gizmom":2awuca0c said:
Three Way gave you great advice the middle of the road is the best road to travel when breeding. When we look at bulls to use we look at the cow family that is behind him. We look at genetics first, phenotype then EPD's you have to have a genetic plan to make good cows. D un also gave you some excellent advice. The bull your looking at looks great right now but he is young and with numbers that extreme it is hard to believe they will stand the test of time. Remember it takes you five years to really know if a breeding decision has worked the way you want it to or not. So you sure want to make the right decisions, don't go chasing rabbits.

If you really want to look at bulls bred for maternal excellence take a look at http://www.sinclaircattle.com/ they have some good ones. I don't know what is going on with them now since Jeff Ward and Lewis Hagan left but the bulls developed under those two gentlemen should stand the test of time.

gizmom

Agreed on Sinclair.

Numbers are helpful, but I want proof. If I am primarily looking for retaining heifers, I look for a bull that's proven himself at doing so even if they go back a number of years. I like D806 (a Sinclair bull) but you could also consider bulls that have left an impact on pathfinder cow generation (in the angus breed). Image Maker comes to mind for me as well as New Design 878. I like KMK I87 also. These are older bulls but they've proven themselves able to make heifers.

3waycross":losp7yly said:
His numbers remind me of Iron Mountain. I liked that bull and used him to make some balancers but his numbers took a dramatic turn for thw worse as he aged.

If you are building a cowherd remember this.........THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD CAN BE A REAL GOOD PLACE TO BE SOMETIMES

moderation in all things is still good advice. now if it's terminal you're looking for then all bets are off.

Exactly.

TD 177 rumor right now do not breed him to narrow hipped cows....I went back and studied his photo again
trying to understand what the statement meant.
ABS rep told me when I bought 10 units his semen is really selling but like me not sure if I will use it
I still do not understand his dam sire change. Pasture View has his maternal sister that really is out of 6807
Active Dutys dam I think..
BTW the semen I got came from Orgin NOT ABS :?

Yep to me right now he looks like a bull that has the potential to be a good terminal bull- and a good heifer bull- but so far hasn't been used enough to have a high accuracy on his EPD's...
Just like with what some others said-- he is not the "cowmaker" type I would use to keep replacement heifers from...Has some good carcass and growth #'s- so probably would work fine if you didn't plan to keep any heifers sired by him...

Latest posts