Your post-drought pasture plans

Help Support CattleToday:

Baydog":2j006wnb said:
I'm in NE Texas and my long term drought strategy will heavily involve my local sale barn. I went through the 1997-98 and 2005-06 drought and tried buying the extremely expensive hay and feed to hang onto as many cattle as I could. Yeah, not doing that again.

I don't understand how you can run a cow calf operation in this type climate unless your pasture moves are interstate... How many folks put their cows on a truck and moved them for a couple years?

I was at the Manhattan, Kansas stocker conference this week. Folks there were speculating that some would come back as stocker operators. Just staying off the pasture to let the grass recover, and then grazing heifers initally, would give a guy some options. You can get a lot of 500# heifers in a pot belly.

If you put a pencil to it might be more cost effective to move the cattle to better pastures, if you could find the lease. Back in the fifties, when transportation costs were low and you could still ship by rail, it was fairly common.

but a few of them make money doing that,even if they have to sell out every 10yrs.how much hay you can make the next 3yrs after the drought breaks determaines how meny cows you can safely carry.

novatech":1gc99h20 said:
If you put a pencil to it might be more cost effective to move the cattle to better pastures, if you could find the lease. Back in the fifties, when transportation costs were low and you could still ship by rail, it was fairly common.

Back in the 30s they railed some cattle up into NE MN and just turned um out on the open range. Sounds like cattle were so cheap at the time there was not a lot of concern on how many they got back.

Brute 23":14imzz3p said:
Make money feeding hay? :D
i dont plan on buying any hay this winter when we run out.what cows that arnt sold will be fed from a sack unless i can hay cheap.im hoping alot thats holding hay will hung with it.

bigbull338":74n5naos said:
Brute 23":74n5naos said:
i dont plan on buying any hay this winter when we run out.what cows that arnt sold will be fed from a sack unless i can hay cheap.im hoping alot thats holding hay will hung with it.
Don't know what you plan to feed but bet a good quality 20% breeder cube is gonna be close to or over $10 a bag.

TexasBred":2ewdfelp said:
bigbull338":2ewdfelp said:
Brute 23":2ewdfelp said:
Don't know what you plan to feed but bet a good quality 20% breeder cube is gonna be close to or over $10 a bag.
we are going to feed a complete mix that our coop is mixing.its 16% protine 3% fat 25% fiber an right now its $16/100.we have been feeding range meal with a limiter in it for $18/100lbs.

Just the feed sack won't cut it without stemmed roughage unless you have a secret on how to make the rummin work without it. If so please let us know.
As for me I will no till winter pasture then if and when it sprout and I get the rain I will get when the Good Lord tells me it is time for me to have it I will fertilize and my cattle will enjoy it.

b2b ranch":3aq82s2o said:
Just the feed sack won't cut it without stemmed roughage unless you have a secret on how to make the rummin work without it. If so please let us know.
As for me I will no till winter pasture then if and when it sprout and I get the rain I will get when the Good Lord tells me it is time for me to have it I will fertilize and my cattle will enjoy it.
Pretty much sums it up... :nod:

b2b ranch":1y1mksng said:
well i reckon they have the secret to keeping the ruman working,because they sell alot of this mix along with another mix.as ive talked to them pretty heavy about it.they said it would be nice to feed hay with it,but they know price prevents doing so.both feeds they say feed 10lbs a hd a day up to 15lbs a head.an im not going to shell out $150 garbage hay a day.well ill tell you like i told the guys this summer that was betting on a 2nd cutting of hay it aint happening.i was strongly considering putting in winter pasture.but this year its a complete waste of time,as i doubt we will get rain to keep it going.now mind you i might throw $100 away on seed for fun.but i wont throw $5000 away.

b2b ranch":ptlogk21 said:
They'll be ok on the feed especially with the 25% crude fiber. Long stemmed roughage would be better but i doubt this feed contains a lot of starch at that price so should be mellow and no chance of accidosis. Your plan may not work at all since your dependant on moisture.

TexasBred":xw76v9t1 said:
b2b ranch":xw76v9t1 said:
They'll be ok on the feed especially with the 25% crude fiber. Long stemmed roughage would be better but i doubt this feed contains a lot of starch at that price so should be mellow and no chance of accidosis. Your plan may not work at all since your dependant on moisture.
It sounds like almost a TMR feed.

Latest posts