Your opinions on neutron 377 calves.

Help Support CattleToday:

DTA ranch

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying an angus bull out of SA Neutron 377 sire. If anybody has cattle from that bull, what do you think of them. Thanks for your reply.

I also was interested in buying a bull sired by SA Neutron 377. I went to a sale back in November, mainly a female sale, but they also had several yearling bulls up for bids. The smallest (weightwise) by far was the Neutron offspring. He did, however, have the largest scrotal measurement. His physical size did not bear out his tremendous YW epd, which was in excess of +100. He drew the fewest and lowest bids of the group of yearling bulls. Now, this is a very small sample and there could be any number of reasons for his inadequate yearling weight, but it turned me off of this bloodline.

ga. prime":3808ait2 said:
I also was interested in buying a bull sired by SA Neutron 377. I went to a sale back in November, mainly a female sale, but they also had several yearling bulls up for bids. The smallest (weightwise) by far was the Neutron offspring. He did, however, have the largest scrotal measurement. His physical size did not bear out his tremendous YW epd, which was in excess of +100. He drew the fewest and lowest bids of the group of yearling bulls. Now, this is a very small sample and there could be any number of reasons for his inadequate yearling weight, but it turned me off of this bloodline.

That's interesting. We used Neutron 377 a couple of years ago. We have a bull on test now. I'll let you know how he does.

We sold a lot of our cows last spring and one of them was a Bando 598 cow with a 377 son at side. The young man who bought the pair is ticked to death with the 377 bull calf. He has sent him off to be fed with some college-owned bulls. The bull calf outweighed all the other calves going on the test. Next time I see him, I'll ask how he finished. He's planning to use the bull in his commercial cow herd at home. My only knock on the bull is his marbling.

BTW, I appreciate all the comments you guys make in reference to specific bulls.

I have been using 377 since he became available from genex. I have been real happy with the growth of the calves and disposition. I sure wish I had more heifers from him.