Your opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

the photos are not the best and to me he does look immature and lack masculine characteristics for a 17 month old bull. His legs appear longer than his depth (heart girth). Although his round steaks appear to be there, his muscling thru his hindquarters does not carry down very far towards his hocks.

Can you post rear and front view pics?

I believe that a breeder needs to look at more than epds. Look at him as if you didn't know what his epds or if you raised him. Would you use him if someone posted him as their new bull without any background information?

Red Bull Breeder":125hwbig said:
Feeding programs differ from place to place.

Give me three months with the same bull and most everybody here will be singing his praises. He is reasonably well put together, there is the potential to muscle up, he isn't as masculine as I would prefer, but he's not feminine looking either. Although I'm all for buying from someone who raises and developes them right, in this case feed or the lack thereof is the only difference between a very ordinary looking bull and a decent commercial bull.

The difficulty ahead is he is underdeveloped for his age and he'll start teething in 2 months time, not an ideal scenario!

I looked at him again today and I'm going to buy him.
He has not had any feed at all, he has been on droughted out wheat pasture.
My main focus is easy calving.
If I were able to keep the heifers in a 20 acre pasture and check them daily it might be different, but I travel for a living and will only see them every coupe days.
They will be out on mesquite pasture and the only way to check them is horseback.
They will be left alone to calve and I have to do everything I can to help prevent a problem.
Lots of folks here use a corriente or half angus/correinte on heifers but I don't have access to one and I think this bull will be ok.

Thanks for all the replies. I had the same concerns as everyone else, but I still feel he is better than some have said.
Here is his epd's

http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... ggEQ%3d%3d

I think you'll be fine. My homemade bulls don't get feed pounded to them and a lot of them look about like him at his age but once they mature they look as good as the developed bulls that I've bought. AND, they come out of the cows in decent shape but a fed up two year old can't handle a full season.

cross_7":21jrbvxs said:
I looked at him again today and I'm going to buy him.
He has not had any feed at all, he has been on droughted out wheat pasture.
My main focus is easy calving.
If I were able to keep the heifers in a 20 acre pasture and check them daily it might be different, but I travel for a living and will only see them every coupe days.
They will be out on mesquite pasture and the only way to check them is horseback.
They will be left alone to calve and I have to do everything I can to help prevent a problem.
Lots of folks here use a corriente or half angus/correinte on heifers but I don't have access to one and I think this bull will be ok.

Thanks for all the replies. I had the same concerns as everyone else, but I still feel he is better than some have said.
Here is his epd's

http://www.angus.org/Animal/EpdPedDtl.a ... ggEQ%3d%3d
Might want a curly calf test done on him, if one hasn't been done (AM-Arthrogryposis Multiplex )...comes from his dam's side (both her sire and dam are carriers)...not the best odds...

KNERSIE":64kvtdia said:
Red Bull Breeder":64kvtdia said:
Feeding programs differ from place to place.

Give me three months with the same bull and most everybody here will be singing his praises. He is reasonably well put together, there is the potential to muscle up, he isn't as masculine as I would prefer, but he's not feminine looking either. Although I'm all for buying from someone who raises and developes them right, in this case feed or the lack thereof is the only difference between a very ordinary looking bull and a decent commercial bull.

The difficulty ahead is he is underdeveloped for his age and he'll start teething in 2 months time, not an ideal scenario!
That is my sentiments exactly. I was not game to say anything as I didn't feel like a fight however Knersie's assessment confirms my opinion. I think he is OK and will do the job for you.
Ken

Had heifers in mind when I bought this yearling. Coming 15 months. Still shedding winter coat. Not the best pose but a couple I took when I dumped him off the trailer. CE 12.6 Birth -0.9.
DSC00562.JPG

DSC00565.JPG

fitz

I like the looks of that bull fitz. What feed was he on? If he was on grass/hay and is only 15 mo. then I really like him.

That's a good looking bull there, maybe he could be a little longer. Now if Cross_7's bull was on feed would he look that good or better???

Question is if that bull was on droughted wheat pasture would he look as good a Cross7s. I have a 15 month old out hear that i don't care for all that much that i will post a picture of maybe tommrow, that was fed for about sixty days at weaning on hay and grass since.

highgrit":5s253mum said:
That's a Simmental trait 2k lbs. at 18 mo. and their great on heifers too. :D Cross_7 I think you can do better.

I have never had a problem using a simmental bull on heifers (knock on wood - and that is all we use). Yes, there are calving nightmares out there, but watch your EPD's and other traits and you should be fine. I have a Pioneer reg. angus heifer bred up for a September half blood, AI'd to a calving ease bull Beef Maker (http://abs-bs.absglobal.com/beef/Simmen ... o=29SM0385) and anticipate no calving problems what so ever. She will 24 months old when she calves in September and I will not be worried about calving problems with that bull.
I am not saying the bull pictured is horrible, he just looks really small in the pictures for a 17 month old bull. Small DOES NOT mean calving ease! Look at the pics of the bulls I just posted from today (for size comparison, not calving ease). They are both 7 months old, never been creep fed, just on grain in the last two weeks since I weaned. They were both small at birth (the black bull was 84 pounds out of a 3rd lactation cow and the red was 58, but a twin). They are not perfect, but look the right size for their age. That is all I was saying about the bull pictured. Mine should exceed 1000 pounds at 1 year since they are between 600 and 700 pounds right now. I do have a scale, so I know how much they actually weaned off at. People DO NOT have to lose performance to get a live calf, that is all I am trying to say.

ohiosteve":3ca2uq3u said:
I like the looks of that bull fitz. What feed was he on? If he was on grass/hay and is only 15 mo. then I really like him.

Thanks Steve. I would quess at some point the calves were on feed. Before the sale I asked about a cool down period and the owner said it wasn't needed as the bulls had been performance tested on large pasture forage only.

fitz