Your Opinion of Bull Calf Please

Help Support CattleToday:

prime-B-ranch

Reaction score
These are Pics of our registered Angus Bull about 7 years old, Bull calf we are keeping as replacement 15 months old, and the Damn about 5 year old X cow solid black with black bag. Just had visit to the Vet and the bull calf tested very very good although the vet stated he seemed a little small for his age. In person he does not look so "calf looking" as he does in the pic. Please post your honest opinion of the animals. I am curious of what the opinions are of the genetics of the bull calf since in about 6 months he will be our new herd bull. Thanks in advance.
captain_May_18_2013.png

Tom_May_18_2013.png

capt_mom_May_18_2013.png

I think the calf could do with a bit of feeding and a better photo. But from what I can see from that angle he seems like he would be better off as a steer.
The bull looks pretty well muscled but again not a good photo, bad angle to really get a good idea. The view of him behind the calf is a better photo. A 7yr old bull you would expect him to have good muscle expression and he does.
Ken

Thank you for your input..I will try and get a couple of better picture angles today. We were thinking this bull calf resembled his site in a lot of ways so we picked him to keep. We have only been raising cattle for 3-4 years so we are inexperienced for sure.

prime-B-ranch":2m0h3nl5 said:
Thank you for your input..I will try and get a couple of better picture angles today. We were thinking this bull calf resembled his site in a lot of ways so we picked him to keep. We have only been raising cattle for 3-4 years so we are inexperienced for sure.

So you raised him and do you plan to breed him to his 1/2 sisters.

A better plan would be to sell 3 to 5 calves and use the money to upgrade your herdsire. NOt replace him with his son!

Well I have heard two things..there is a difference between in line breeding and inbreeding. We were going to sell his mother to make sure he did not breed his mother. We sell all of our calfs accept for one heifer we kept that would be his half sister she I currently 18 months. 90% of people tell us this is not a problem especially if the two animals have good genetics. Are they wrong?

Definately noted.. This is the reason I posted here. I want to make sure we are making the correct decision and welcome the opinion of old timers or anyone with knowledge. Thank you!

I know it is not the best picture but can someone explain why this calf does not look like a good candidate for herd sire? I will try and get a better pucture of him for better evaluation. Just curious of what I am not seeing in him to be the replacement. I can get rid of his half sister if needed. Coming from our current registered angus herdsire we thought we were making a good decision. Another possibility is just keeping the current sure longer. Only reason we are trading out is because we thought he was getting too old and mainly too big for our average size cows.

How about instead you enumerate all the reasons why you think he would make a herdsire.

I will even list #1 for you;..you raised him and see him as almost free!

Now you can go from there!

My biggest reason (other than free) was he came from an expensive registered angus bull and not some trash bull. I've been watching him mature and he always struck me as looking really good with good genetic trates from his dad. It seemed he had a lot of his dads trates and would pass that on and be a great herd sire like his dad

prime-B-ranch":k8rhv642 said:
I know it is not the best picture but can someone explain why this calf does not look like a good candidate for herd sire? I will try and get a better pucture of him for better evaluation. Just curious of what I am not seeing in him to be the replacement. I can get rid of his half sister if needed. Coming from our current registered angus herdsire we thought we were making a good decision. Another possibility is just keeping the current sure longer. Only reason we are trading out is because we thought he was getting too old and mainly too big for our average size cows.

It might be a poor pic but he looks small, immature, and seems to lack muscle. BTW whats he eating? If he wintered on all roughage 5-6-7 LBS grain might have made a big difference.

prime-B-ranch":3913tddf said:
My biggest reason (other than free) was he came from an expensive registered angus bull and not some trash bull. I've been watching him mature and he always struck me as looking really good with good genetic trates from his dad. It seemed he had a lot of his dads trates and would pass that on and be a great herd sire like his dad

But this is my inexperience!! So I wanted to deal advice of people who really know what to look for. I have lots of learning to do :)

prime-B-ranch":fypj29hq said:
prime-B-ranch":fypj29hq said:

But this is my inexperience!! So I wanted to deal advice of people who really know what to look for. I have lots of learning to do :)

How about we start with his performance capabilities. At 15 months his scrotal should be a minimum of 34cm. What is his.?

Has he had a semen test and if so did he pass.?

Is he free by pedigree from the known Angus genetic defects or do you need to have him tested?

His sperm check was as follows: the vet checked him and said he is not "good" he is "excellent"! So that part is covered and confident in being great.

Latest posts