Your Next Herd Bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

What has me baffled is, what for seedstock did they use in the beginning to come up with an animal like this. I think I could go to the sale ring and come up with old cull cattle to breed something with more than this feller has to offer.

A gate cut would do better than this

Herefords.US":2oq9t1qz said:
djinwa":2oq9t1qz said:
Since he's a young bull, the substandard epd's are probably due to low accuracy. :)

No doubt very low accuracy- because, as low as they are, they're probably too high! I looked at his EPDs because I sure couldn't find any "redeeming qualities" in the bull's picture, so I thought he was possibly one of those "EPD wonders" where the numbers trump everything else, according to some folks. The little guy couldn't even make claim to be up to the breed average.

Pitiful .... pathetic .... sad .... sick! All apt descriptions!

George

Well, if they had EPD's for calving ease of calves coming backwards, I bet they're top notch!

I have many friends who breed Herefords and let me tell you with true conviction....this is no Hereford. Any hereford breeder worth his salt will condemn this crap

djinwa":2dxuf4ci said:
KNERSIE":2dxuf4ci said:
If he can improve your cowherd you REALLY need more bull power than he can offer. (BTW I don't subscribe to that theory of yours at all, if you haven't noticed already)

Okay, let's try another theory. How about the one which says that rump roast is a cheaper cut, so why have a big rear? Maybe this bull will put all his energy into growing sirloin and ribeye.

A good theory, except that generally speaking, muscle in one place = muscle all over. So its very hard to have an animal that has a very well muscled topline (where all the high value cuts are) but poor muscling in the lower valued areas

Keren":3e6uog0r said:
djinwa":3e6uog0r said:
KNERSIE":3e6uog0r said:
If he can improve your cowherd you REALLY need more bull power than he can offer. (BTW I don't subscribe to that theory of yours at all, if you haven't noticed already)

Okay, let's try another theory. How about the one which says that rump roast is a cheaper cut, so why have a big rear? Maybe this bull will put all his energy into growing sirloin and ribeye.

A good theory, except that generally speaking, muscle in one place = muscle all over. So its very hard to have an animal that has a very well muscled topline (where all the high value cuts are) but poor muscling in the lower valued areas

Where I live the front is considered 20%, the back 30% and the rear 50% of the animals value. However; with improvment in muscularity, a beef animal improves slightly more in the rear end than in the back, and more in the back than in the front part. The only breed I can think of with a good back, and not so good rump would be the highland?

There is not enought info here to make a call , yes from the looks of the animal he is not to good...His genetic may be good and he might grow out to be one fine animal, just might be ate up with worms...

I once knew a guy that bought some darn fine Beefmasters, after a few years he lost interest, quit worming them , pasture over pouplated. Had seen alot of fine calves come out of his fields, in the end they , even with good breeding, his calves look worse than the Black Hereford...Enviroment is a powerful thing, especially a bad one....

I once had a old cow that had a good calf, but little milk to fed him, Bull reminds me of him, but the old hair on him makes me think he needs wormed....

alftn":2dt8thr2 said:
There is not enought info here to make a call , yes from the looks of the animal he is not to good...His genetic may be good and he might grow out to be one fine animal, just might be ate up with worms...

I once knew a guy that bought some darn fine Beefmasters, after a few years he lost interest, quit worming them , pasture over pouplated. Had seen alot of fine calves come out of his fields, in the end they , even with good breeding, his calves look worse than the Black Hereford...Enviroment is a powerful thing, especially a bad one....

I once had a old cow that had a good calf, but little milk to fed him, Bull reminds me of him, but the old hair on him makes me think he needs wormed....

How do you explain a breeder posting this pic and a buyer buying him if he looked like this no matter the reason

donkey3.JPG

alftn":3o0yxeqf said:

with the amount of flesh he's showing now theres still no muscle expression,,, and his legs would make a kildee jealous

JHH":cw9wchhx said:
dun":cw9wchhx said:
Mcdonalds

Really? I would have thought someone would have wanted him. He looked good to me.
Looked good to me too and his calves are really something. Maybe the wrong color, maybe the wrong time of year, maybe people didn;t believe that he was that chunky from just grass. But he did lose 250 pounds since Febuary while he was running with the cows, but he still looked the same.

Latest posts