Your Hardest to Explain Events on the Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
Not sure if this thread will get a lot of activity but over spring break I was out with my grandpa again and while we were workin he was talking about how he once had a cow calve and the calf was born dead and then three months later the cow calved again and had a healthy calf. He said he knew it was hers cause he had her locked up and if i remember correctly he went as far to say the vet had heard of other people saying the same thing had happen (once in a blue moon). Maybe you guys would like to run that idea around your mind a bit and have some hypothesis and maybe you guys have some similar things happen that you could never explain.

It can be explained; she was carrying twins, lost one and went on to deliver the other with no complications months later. :shock:

show steer up":2zekitpo said:
It can be explained; she was carrying twins, lost one and went on to deliver the other with no complications. :shock:

3 months later? You dont see something like that too often.

You are probably right. Figure it would be a fun post to make, especially if some others had some interesting events to add on.

show steer up":2zbxb74i said:
It can be explained; she was carrying twins, lost one and went on to deliver the other with no complications months later. :shock:

That would be my guess too.

Neighbor had a calf with two heads. It died shortly after being born. Freaky thing. I just wonder how the poor momma cow got both those heads out without major complications.

Jogeephus":19wlcki4 said:
show steer up":19wlcki4 said:

That would be my guess too.

Neighbor had a calf with two heads. It died shortly after being born. Freaky thing. I just wonder how the poor momma cow got both those heads out without major complications.

It was her lucky day, God knows we all need them :)

Jogeephus":2ll5bywa said:

I had that happen with one of my goats last November. The baby was alive, alert, and trying to stand about 15 minutes following birth(his mother was the 3rd of 4 that kidded that day, it was cold, and I was a bit busy with the previous kidsicles). Anyway, I realized what the deal was, took matters into my own hands, and he was euthanized. I'm not sure how she was able to deliver him, either, but I sincerely hope I never have another one! That was the first deformed baby I had ever seen, and it flipped me out more than a little bit.

Not really unexplainable, but a few years ago I had a cow that was randomly pasture bred have a calf on March 21 three years in a row.

This isn't weird, just interesting. March 17 a very cold day I had 5 black cows in the barn all having contractions. checked every hour or so all doing very good. After it's all done there are 6 black calves, didn't even realize it until the next day. Still don't know which cow had twins. The one bull calf kept trying to nurse one cow after another and none would except him. He's doing very well as a bottle calf.

ga. prime":1rdmva3z said:
Not really unexplainable, but a few years ago I had a cow that was randomly pasture bred have a calf on March 21 three years in a row.

thats a pretty big coincidence. Thats the first day of spring isnt it?

mnmtranching":25jtxjee said:
This isn't weird, just interesting. March 17 a very cold day I had 5 black cows in the barn all having contractions. checked every hour or so all doing very good. After it's all done there are 6 black calves, didn't even realize it until the next day. Still don't know which cow had twins. The one bull calf kept trying to nurse one cow after another and none would except him. He's doing very well as a bottle calf.

Except you probably have a freemartin heifer in there somewhere. :(

We had a piglet born with two heads once and it actually lived for about 24 hours, even though the brain was exposed. My mom is the science teacher at the Jr. High so she took it to school to show her classes then sent it over to the biology lab at the High School. Kids thought it was the coolest thing.

Our highschool had a few 2 headed lambs in jars. Interesting to see. There was a 2 faced kitten born here in the city a while back and it lived for like a week I think.

I guess the weirdest thing I have seen was a calf wandering around mooing on a big property Dad worked on. The thing was he was about 3 paddocks away from any calving herd. Not particularly interesting though :p

CattleHand":3igjqsei said:
ga. prime":3igjqsei said:

thats a pretty big coincidence. Thats the first day of spring isnt it?

They're not cows but, my husband and his brother have the same birthday, Oct. 18, but they are 5 years apart. (same dam and sire). It did happen on the same ranch in Montanna.

I had 25 ducks disappear one night a few years ago. 4 of them had been setting. Those ducks had been here for several years. 7 different breeds. Only thing left behind were the nests of eggs, a broken branch in one of the trees in their lot/pen and a section of fence (4' chain-link) that was slightly bent at the top.

Katherine

I've got a few:

1) The 888th kid born at the work property, was born on the 8th August 2008 ...

2) A doe delivered one healthy, full term kid, one month later delivered another healthy, full term kid. We figure she was bred on two heat cycles

3) A saanen doe gave birth to twins - one a perfect saanen, the other a nubian cross with roman nose and floppy ears. She was joined by both the saanen and the nubian buck on the same day, both types of sperm found an egg.

4) Cow calved down with twins - only one placenta - but the twins werent at all identical (shorthorn and mixed sex)

5) Big wind storm picked up several heifers from the paddock, and deposited them on the other side of the fence. I saw it happen with my own eyes, while I was taking refuge in the car.

How a 4 month old calf can crawl thru a 5 wire 4 point gaucho fence and when you get him up to an open gate it stops, bellers, and has that look that says, "Are you crazy? I'm not going thru that!"

My step daughter's grandpa had a calf born with two heads last year. It was alive when he found it so he took it to the vet where it died. It was in the papers in their town. It was freaky looking. It lived for almost two days. It was alive when he found it, and it was dried off.

This happened a long time ago when I was a kid but I swear it's true.

My mom and stepdad took in a stray dog, full grown, not a pup. They lived on 20 acres in the country. Dog went to killing poultry. Tried everything, even the old "hang the dead chicken around his neck for days" but he wouldn't stop. So, stepdad took the .22 and the dog out towards the back property line. Nothing was said, but I was old enough to know what was up. Stepdad came back alone.

In a week or two I visited again. THE DOG WAS BACK. He had 2 scabs on the front of his head, a little above "between the eyes", and one scab on the back of his head. Apparently after he was shot the 2nd time he had ran into the woods and stepdad thought he was done for. Who wouldn't? A few days later, the dog had come back to the house with the scabs where he was shot.

But, that's not the "hard to explain" part. THAT DOG NEVER BOTHERED POULTRY AGAIN. 'Splain that!

Latest posts