Your Hardest to Explain Events on the Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

MO_cows":1k5gpy92 said:
This happened a long time ago when I was a kid but I swear it's true.

My mom and stepdad took in a stray dog, full grown, not a pup. They lived on 20 acres in the country. Dog went to killing poultry. Tried everything, even the old "hang the dead chicken around his neck for days" but he wouldn't stop. So, stepdad took the .22 and the dog out towards the back property line. Nothing was said, but I was old enough to know what was up. Stepdad came back alone.

In a week or two I visited again. THE DOG WAS BACK. He had 2 scabs on the front of his head, a little above "between the eyes", and one scab on the back of his head. Apparently after he was shot the 2nd time he had ran into the woods and stepdad thought he was done for. Who wouldn't? A few days later, the dog had come back to the house with the scabs where he was shot.

But, that's not the "hard to explain" part. THAT DOG NEVER BOTHERED POULTRY AGAIN. 'Splain that!

Finally got it thru it's head. :roll: :)

Dogs and calves as well sometimes take a lot more killing than some people on these boards believe. You can draw lines and Xs and bullseyes and whatever on them and hit the target, but sometimes it just does not go the way it is supposed to go.

No use arguing about it. Some know what they know and some know what they think they know.

In some cases a .22 will do the job. Maybe a large majority of the time.
In other cases it is not enough gun.

'Nuff said.

We got up one day a little before Thanksgiving and there was a herd of sheep in our pasture. About, I don't know, 15 or 20 of them. It was a little strange to say the least. We aren't fenced for sheep in that pasture, mostly pipe, and so when the neighbors called to complain that the sheep were on their place, we just had to tell them honestly that they werent our sheep. By afternoon most of them had wandered off but for one lamb who was just getting used to us when something killed it. I never saw the wandering sheep herd of Johnson County again.

I might add that none of our neighbors have sheep anywhere around us. There are a few goats here and there but the closest sheep are about two miles and a freeway away.

Keren":36jce8ux said:
I've got a few:

3) A saanen doe gave birth to twins - one a perfect saanen, the other a nubian cross with roman nose and floppy ears. She was joined by both the saanen and the nubian buck on the same day, both types of sperm found an egg.

I remember seeing an article some years back where this happened in a female human. She had twins where one was black and the other white. Each tested to a different father. She had had a relationship with both males at the same time. Evidently both types of sperm found an egg in this situation also. The article talked about how rare an event this was. They said that at one time science did not think it possible.

My Hardest to Explain Events on the Farm were the big dent in the tail gate and bumper of the truck which also took out a blinker light ( :eek: ), and from out of no where someone snuck 2 little bitty heifer calves into the calf pen when it had already been "agreed" upon that there would be "no more sale barn calves"! Still have to wonder about how that happened................ :help: :lol2:

I didnt know that a cow having twins could actually deliver them weeks or months apart, this explains my weidest ordell, all my cows had delivered their calves(or so I thought), after my last cow delivered her calf and it was old enough to move, I moved them to a new pasture and burnt the old pasture, after fire i find a fairly new born calve dead in the pasture, I have no idea which cow had this calve and it has puzzeled me for years, think you for giving me a logical explanation

I have my cows split into several different pens/pastures according to: still has to calve, the 1st 30 calves, 2nd 30 calves, etc. (hopefully to prevent the oh so lovely scours). In the "still has to calve pasture", we had 4 heifers left to calve. I went out to check one night, and drove around and only found 3 heifers. Since it was 2 am, I thought I was a little tired and missed her, so I drove around again. Still only 3. I checked everywhere I could think of. I went out the next day and looked. I looked in the field next to the pasture, looked in the summer pastures, called the neighbors, nothing. Still haven't found the heifer to this day. Alien abduction? :???:

This is a cool thread. I just thought of another.

When I was working at the feedlot, there was this Wagyu steer pretty darn close to the end of his feed out period, big ol guy, quiet as a lamb, well one weigh day when they were coming out of the pen to run down to the yards, he slipped and fell, all four feet heading in all four directions. So we scooped him up in the bucket and dropped him down in a hospital pen. He couldnt stand. We brought feed and water to him for two weeks, he still couldnt stand no matter what we tried. So the big boss said it was time to shoot him. Well, one of the stockmen went down there, pointed the gun at him, and what do you know that steer stood up! So the stockman put the gun away. The steer sat back down. Wouldnt get up again. Nothing we tried would get him up. Electric prods, food, water, you name it, nothing would get him up. So down comes the stockman a few days later with the gun, points it at the steer, and up the steer gets, on his feet, walks around the pen a little too. Then sits down again, chewing his cud. So off goes the stockman.

This continued for almost six weeks, and four or five times that stockman tried to shoot the steer, and every time he got up. But he refused to get up unless the gun was pointed at him. In the end, the boss gave the order to shoot him because we couldnt continue to play that game.

rowdyred":33s6e877 said:
I didnt know that a cow having twins could actually deliver them weeks or months apart, this explains my weidest ordell, all my cows had delivered their calves(or so I thought), after my last cow delivered her calf and it was old enough to move, I moved them to a new pasture and burnt the old pasture, after fire i find a fairly new born calve dead in the pasture, I have no idea which cow had this calve and it has puzzeled me for years, think you for giving me a logical explanation

Sounds like you had the same event we had. And Keren that sure is an interesting story about the steer. Maybe he knew what the gun was used for haha. Sure seems like he was a lazy SOB.

Had got down to 2 roosters,1 hen--one day the hen is gone----next week 1 rooster is gone,next week other one..I think ok,coyotes/hawk/dog/ect-----------------------until the next year when BOTH roosters show up!!!!!!! I know my stock-these were not any old red roosters-they were MY old red roosters..the hen never came back,but a few months later a white with gold saddle and hackle showes up.. All were later killed by car/predators,saw the bodies this time... Had to be human,but WHY??

A few years ago I was walking alongside the coral and there were several calves laying beside the board fence. In front of me was #10, a huge 1600+ composite cow of unknown genetic origin. She had always been fairly gentle and I am guilty of petting her from time to time. As I approach her she bolts towards me faster than I thought she was capable of moving but instead of catching me she broad-sides a brangus cow that was charging me from my blind side and knocks the cow off her feet and onto the ground. This gave me the chance to get clear of the area. As it turned out, the brangus's calf was one of the calves laying by the fence and she didn't like me getting between them. Had it not been for #10 (nka Bertha), there is no telling what would have happened to me. Bertha has her faults but she will forever have a place on my farm. BTW - for 3 years straight she dropped a bull calf on Jan 10. I have since changed my cycle so things are different now.

Aww that's sweet Jo, One of our old cats did something like that. We had this old ginger that had been in one too many fights and actually suffered from a bit of brain damage. My sister, who was only about 11 at the time, was walking through the bush one day when this bull terrier who was wondering around came up and was growling at her. Out of no where the ginger cat came flying out of the bush and started attacking this dog until it ran away and then accompanied my sister back to the house. It was funny because we were pretty sure that cat hated us kids for harassing it all the time.

That's a brave cat to take on a bull terrier. You know its rather odd that animals like cows or cats would come to your defense. Just don't think of them having that in them. I'm pretty sure my cat would just clean himself and watch intently as I was mauled but I guess you just never know.

Jogeephus":3r18pvgq said:
I'm pretty sure my cat would just clean himself and watch intently as I was mauled but I guess you just never know.
This makes me think of my cat. She lives in the calving barn, and doesn't come down from the rafters unless I'm out there. In the last couple years, she has taken up a new sport than just her job mousing. When I bring a calf to the barn and am spraying the naval, etc. she comes down and sits by me and watches. The cows don't appreciate her being there. When the cows get all snorty, she moves behind me. If the cow paws, she will climb up me. If the cow starts to attack, she jumps down and runs out, leaving me to get out of momma's way. I swear she knows they are trying to get her, and she is trying to deflect them by putting me in their path to save her furry butt.

This isn't hard to explain...as I know it happens a lot... but...

We had an old tom cat (NOT OURS..just a WANDERER) who decided to camp out with our barn females and answer natures call. Well, hubby got sick and tired of looking out the window every morning and watching nature call...(along with all the catterwalling involved)..so he says, "That cat's going for a ride"...we take that old tom cat what had to be atleast 10 miles north and drop him (not proud of this but he WASNT OURS so we were just "relocating" him)...certain that we'd taken him FAR FAR AWAY, hubby says "If that S.O.B. comes back from THIS trip, then he can stay"...do you know he did!

grannysoo":2wd2if0j said:
Ghosts......

This is totally weird but I have three other people that witnessed the same thing. On a foggy afternoon me, my brother and two of our friends happened to look toward the corner of the yard where an old barn used to be there was a man in overalls with a kerosene lantern walking around like he was looking for something. We watched him for a few minutes then he just disappeared into the fog. He was so out of place that we asked mom about it. She went out and looked in the area and couldn't find or see any sign of anyone being there. We later learned that Mr. ? had died there while checking livestock - I think killed by a pig or something bad like that but I can't remember for sure but but they had found him in that general area. It was creepy and all witnesses still remember seeing it to this day. If it was a practical joke, it was a good one and no one ever let us in on it.

Jogeephus":4463j9zu said:
grannysoo":4463j9zu said:
Ghosts......

This is totally weird but I have three other people that witnessed the same thing. On a foggy afternoon me, my brother and two of our friends happened to look toward the corner of the yard where an old barn used to be there was a man in overalls with a kerosene lantern walking around like he was looking for something. We watched him for a few minutes then he just disappeared into the fog. He was so out of place that we asked mom about it. She went out and looked in the area and couldn't find or see any sign of anyone being there. We later learned that Mr. ? had died there while checking livestock - I think killed by a pig or something bad like that but I can't remember for sure but but they had found him in that general area. It was creepy and all witnesses still remember seeing it to this day. If it was a practical joke, it was a good one and no one ever let us in on it.
Creepy... :shock:

Latest posts