Your guess on the cattle market, price and supply.

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms

Reaction score
My guess is we'll see a $20. - $30 dollar @100 weight retreat by fall from where we're at now. Then around 2020 - 2021 we'll see close to record prices again. Cattle numbers must go down before prices can go up. I'm sure it'll be another coulda, shoulda, woulda type of thing for me.

I know the cattle on feed,reports aren't showing it but look at the actual sale numbers at the markets across the US. Most of,the sales are down 1/4 in their numbers from a year ago.

kenny thomas":1pt7zaa0 said:
I know the cattle on feed,reports aren't showing it but look at the actual sale numbers at the markets across the US. Most of,the sales are down 1/4 in their numbers from a year ago.

So are you thinking it's going to take even longer for the weak to be weeded out before the prices can rise? Kenny, we have a lot of new cattle producers in the southeast after the record high prices. Most of the new beef producers bought in at the wrong time and are just trying to get most of their money back. My thinking is if we have another dry summer prices will be even cheaper for good young replacement cows.

True Grit Farms":1s9hnz8u said:
My guess is we'll see a $20. - $30 dollar @100 weight retreat by fall from where we're at now. Then around 2020 - 2021 we'll see close to record prices again. Cattle numbers must go down before prices can go up. I'm sure it'll be another coulda, shoulda, woulda type of thing for me.

I think you are correct I think its going to be pretty ugly by this fall.

The drought in your area changes things a lot there. Our cow numbers are very low here. Many farm have no cows on them because of either the age of the owner or that someone from the city owns them and won't repair anything or give us a lease long enough to be worth it.

True Grit Farms":1t08ogf6 said:
My guess is we'll see a $20. - $30 dollar @100 weight retreat by fall from where we're at now. Then around 2020 - 2021 we'll see close to record prices again. Cattle numbers must go down before prices can go up.

Fat futures are about a buck, so odds are that you are close on your guess for. Time to sort the herd, again. :nod:
Trump's TBD trade plan could hurt meat exports badly, so no reason to expect help there.
With the cow herd still growing - - you are off with 2020 guess. Harlan expect the feeder upturn to start in 2020, which means the next peak should follow in 2 to 3 years, unless there is a major drought...

Stocker Steve":10gz80hz said:
True Grit Farms":10gz80hz said:
My guess is we'll see a $20. - $30 dollar @100 weight retreat by fall from where we're at now. Then around 2020 - 2021 we'll see close to record prices again. Cattle numbers must go down before prices can go up.

Fat futures are about a buck, so odds are that you are close on your guess for light calves. Time to sort the herd, again.
Trump's TBD trade plan could hurt meat exports badly, so no reason to expect help there.
With the cow herd still growing - - you are off with 2020 guess. Harlan expect the upturn to start in 2020, which means the peak in 2 to 3 years.
With a 10 year cycle that time frame would be spot on. If prices fell another 20¢ that would be 80% off the peak prices. There's still a little meat left on the bone at this point. :2cents:

Latest posts