Your Favorite Sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":2htqunb5 said:
cp,
Used a cane of Connection on high-percentage Angus heifers; calves just did not impress me... kept 2 daughters, one each out of a Wave and 6I6 daughter. several other heifers just didn't make the cut, and their steer counterparts weren't much to write home about. However, most were out of first-calf NBPT D806 daughters, which probably accounts for the poor performance...

I didn't realize what he did for me for quite a while after the fact. The calves were just plain old calves. I have a few daughters and grandaughters floating around in the hills and they keep their condition no matter what the feed looks like, get out and work in the steep stuff but are still really easy to be around and they breed back on time. That is proving to be a rare cow for me.

favorite cow is a connection, she is the biggest pet, this will be the first year she didnt take AI, she is 7 yrs old. Always brings in a big calf, just a good momma cow.

I am a fan of

New Day 8005
EXT
Final Answer
Morgans Direction unfortunately he is a carrier of NH all his daughters in our herd have been tested clean and I like all of the. Low birth good growth and excellent mammas.

We used SAV Pioneer last year his calves are looking really good I will let you know in about five years if he worked or not.

Gizmom

gizmom":3te07wbd said:
I am a fan of

New Day 8005
EXT
Final Answer
Morgans Direction unfortunately he is a carrier of NH all his daughters in our herd have been tested clean and I like all of the. Low birth good growth and excellent mammas.

We used SAV Pioneer last year his calves are looking really good I will let you know in about five years if he worked or not.

Gizmom

Gizmom, I have 2 year old Pioneer in production here. We bred her to a calving ease Simmental sire for her first calf, and she had a heifer calf, 49 pounds! Her dam was a TC Freedom cow, and HUGE (at least a 7 frame). Thus, why we sold her. We picked up the pair in the Graham dispersal sale a few years ago (they came from OK). The Pioneer daughter is SMALL, probably my smallest two year old right now. We weighed everyone the first part of October, she was 1030. She never cycled, so we ended up setting her up with a CIDR to get her bred (she is an August, and was bred in December), and she took on the first AI. She has yet to come into heat since calving, and she calved on September 11th, so 60 days now. All of our other fall calvers have had at least one heat since calving, and she was the first one to have a calf! Her udder is not very pretty (uneven), and very small. Her heifer looks outstanding, so we were sure the cow was giving her the good stuff. Just this week, I found the calf stealing from another cow, and I can tell she has done it before because she would watch for a cow to start nursing and then sneak in from behind. :eek:
So, I am not happy with her just yet. Of course, this is just ONE heifer from Pioneer, but she is our only Angus in the herd and she is not making the breed look very good compared to the Simmentals ;-)

Not the kind of report I wanted to hear but that is for sure why the jury is still out on this bull for us. Until you get daughters in production you don't know about a bull. I hope this is not the norm, we have several really nice looking heifers out of pioneer so I will sure keep your experience in mind as we watch these develop.

Gizmom

gizmom":1kwqwar8 said:
Not the kind of report I wanted to hear but that is for sure why the jury is still out on this bull for us. Until you get daughters in production you don't know about a bull. I hope this is not the norm, we have several really nice looking heifers out of pioneer so I will sure keep your experience in mind as we watch these develop.

Gizmom

We have a Pioneer son that has sired some real nice calves. But I have seen multiple Pioneer daughters and really like them. Friend of mine has one that is one of the prettiest and productive cows that they have.