Your Favorite Deer Rifle & calibre

Help Support CattleToday:

BAR .270 for Alabama deer and BAR 7MAG for bigger game. Went to Kansas last year and borrowed a friends Winchester Bolt-Action 300weatherby mag with trigger pull tweaked down to 2-1/2 lbs or something like that....it is a SWEET shooter. Took an average eight for that part of the country....

BAR .270 for Alabama deer and BAR 7MAG for bigger game. Went to Kansas last year and borrowed a friends Winchester Bolt-Action 300weatherby mag with trigger pull tweaked down to 2-1/2 lbs or something like that....it is a SWEET shooter. Took an average eight for that part of the country....

TLCfromARK":3pcsf8n6 said:
For me: (pre 64) Win. Model 70 Featherweight in a .308

For the wife: Rem. Model 700 (youth stock) in .270

;-)

I've got an old featherwight in .257 Roberts, now 257 Ackley Improved. But my favorite carrying around rifle is a Winchester M70 carbine in 250 Savage. About the same weight as the featherwight but it has a stumpy little barrel that makes it handier in the woods.

dun

dun":1igg7kvm said:
TLCfromARK":1igg7kvm said:

;-)

I've got an old featherwight in .257 Roberts, now 257 Ackley Improved. But my favorite carrying around rifle is a Winchester M70 carbine in 250 Savage. About the same weight as the featherwight but it has a stumpy little barrel that makes it handier in the woods.

dun

The old Model 70 are great guns. Mine was made in the 50's and is still capable of better groups than I can shoot. I've had the gun for over 20 years and still love it.

Do you have a low power scope on the .250 Savage that you use in the woods or do you shoot open sights?

;-)

Got several and they are all big bore if I am not carrying a shotgun. But I don't set on a right away and shoot deer from unde a feeder.
Marlin 1894 44.

D.R. Cattle":3q6c37cd said:
I'm toting a .300 Weatherby, pretty close to the top of the food chain.

Some day I am going to own a 300 Weatherby. Don't need it but I have wanted one for years.

Compound bow is my favorite. When it comes to rifles, it just depends on where I am hunting. My scoped rifles are 243 and 30-06.

I have gone to mono vision contacts and can no longer see the back sight on any of my pre-64 Winchesters. That hurt. I could bounce cans at 100 yards with the sights top to top. No more. I still carry one in the truck tho.

TLCfromARK":xq04e9nw said:
Do you have a low power scope on the .250 Savage that you use in the woods or do you shoot open sights?

;-)

Open sights? Surely you jest! It has a 2-7 on it. The 250 Savage is a vastly underrated cartridge. I loaned it to a friend of mine and told him to keep the shots under 175 yards. He promptly dumped a dandy buck at 250 yards, ran about 5 feet and piled up, dead as last weeks news.

dun

Hunted with rifle, pistol, blackpowder and bow. Don't have to wear ear plugs with a bow or field dress nearly as many. As for my favorite caliber, an Easton 2219 works just fine.

Fly-guy

Sako 7mm mag for deer, but I just love my new Henry lever action, octogon barrel 22mag for just about anything else.

Lots of differnt likes and dislikes,I have always wanted to get me a Ruger #1 in 458 winchester,kill one deer with it and then hang it above the fire place,I just like them ole fallin block actions..........good luck
PS yes I know I wont hafta gut him :D

HAY MAKER":jn9hb7an said:
Lots of differnt likes and dislikes,I have always wanted to get me a Ruger #1 in 458 winchester,kill one deer with it and then hang it above the fire place,I just like them ole fallin block actions..........good luck

Haymaker - I had an old partner that used to have one of those Rugers in 45-70 caliber-- shot a lot of deer with it...But he was a big caliber man- Captain of Detectives on a Sheriffs's Dept- packed a 45 auto on his hip- and had a .410 shotgun derringer for a pocket gun..... :D

I had a guy tell me he shot a doe with one of those big 50 caliber rifles you see everywhere now adays. Said it basically disintegrated all the bones in its body minus the skull. More or less he said the entire animal was like jelly.
Said his doctor friend said it has something to do with the (now I may get this wrong) with the shockwaves of the bullet going through the animal.
I asked a few of my doctor friends (who are also rifle addicts) and they felt it was entirely possible. Just curious if anyone else has heard of this. I can think of a few beasts I wouldnt mind pulverizing like that.

Winchester M70 Featherweight 270. Enough for anything in the lower 48.

cfpinz

dun":3852lu03 said:
TLCfromARK":3852lu03 said:

;-)

dun

Since you brought up stumpy barrels, here's something to think about. I bought a little Ruger 77 223 with the 16 1/2 barrel this past winter to keep in the tractor, VERY LOUD. My mother wanted to try it out a while back. Long story short, she shot at a coyote off of her covered carport without earplugs. It's been over a month and she says her right ear still isn't back to normal! :shock:

cfpinz

cfpinz":12ry1bra said:
Long story short, she shot at a coyote off of her covered carport without earplugs. It's been over a month and she says her right ear still isn't back to normal! :shock:

cfpinz

It wouldn;t have mattered how long the barrel was if it was from under a covered carport unless the end of the barrel was outside of the cover.

dun

Oldtimer":2d6y36gb said:
HAY MAKER":2d6y36gb said:

Haymaker - I had an old partner that used to have one of those Rugers in 45-70 caliber-- shot a lot of deer with it...But he was a big caliber man- Captain of Detectives on a Sheriffs's Dept- packed a 45 auto on his hip- and had a .410 shotgun derringer for a pocket gun..... :D

Sounds like my kinda of fellow. I do love my 45-70 and 45 long colt.

Hawk":3uligeh9 said:
Sako 7mm mag for deer, but I just love my new Henry lever action, octogon barrel 22mag for just about anything else.

I bought a Henry lever as my first rifle. They are so much fun to shoot, and you can't complain about the price.

For deer, I have a Howa 1500 stainless synthetic in .243 (its an australian favourite :) )

dun":2oiyhkwf said:
cfpinz":2oiyhkwf said:
Long story short, she shot at a coyote off of her covered carport without earplugs. It's been over a month and she says her right ear still isn't back to normal! :shock:

cfpinz

It wouldn;t have mattered how long the barrel was if it was from under a covered carport unless the end of the barrel was outside of the cover.

dun

Why is that? It seems to me that the shorter barrel (louder blast) would cause more damage in the same setting. What am I missing here?

cfpinz

Steyr 7mm-08 with Sheppherd 10x and Warne rings

1894 Marlin with 4x Burris AO

Marlin 1895SS with old style straight stock and open sights - 22 inch barrel

Yugo M48 with Micro Fit stock, Wilson match barrel, Sheppherd 18x, Timney trigger, in .308

Remington Model 700 ADl with Nikon 4-12x, HS Precision stock, 18 ounce trigger, one hole groups at 100 yards and likes 60 grain bullets the best

All these work real well on deer and other varmints