your favorite cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
post a pic of your favorite cow... then post a pic of your most productive cow (raises the best calf doesnt have to be a good lookin cow just can get the job done

My all time favorite and she was/is best producer:
MissJane_Georgia_04.jpg

Next best producer is one of her daughters here she is with the twins she raised last year:
DSCF0054.JPG

Dixieangus":2p7lh38o said:
post a pic of your favorite cow... then post a pic of your most productive cow (raises the best calf doesnt have to be a good lookin cow just can get the job done

No pictures, sorry. But I have noticed recently that I like those cows that raise the biggest calves best, no matter what they look like. :)

CKC1586":238i9whl said:
...Next best producer is one of her daughters here she is with the twins she raised last year:
DSCF0054.JPG

Wow! With one like that maybe you don't need to be afraid of twins?! That's a picture!

Jim

This is my "pet", Peewee, that likes a good scratchin' but she's a good producer, too. She is small, she weighed 950 pounds when she weaned her first calf, it weaned over 500 lbs. Here she is with her 3rd calf not quite 6 months old. She's around 1100 pounds full grown.
peewee_u8_smallfile.jpg

This one has the best production record. She's 6 and has 6 calves due to a set of twin heifers this year. She has the perfect disposition. She's respectful but not fearful and super easy to handle. She keeps her distance when we work her calves but a stranger or especially a canine too close to her new calf would have a BIG problem. The twins are 4 mos. in this picture.

twins_4mos_frontview_small.jpg

I'm almost embarrassed to post this picture (she's only raised one this year) after the one with all the twins above but this cow does a great job, great disposition, rebreeds easily and this one is smart! I didn't think there was much difference in cow intelligence but there is.

She had a calf that was on the wrong side of a fence and the calf didn't realize the gate between them was about an 1/8 of a mile back. Well #66 went up to the fence and had that calf follow next to her (on the other side of the fence) for about 1/8 mile to the gate. There the errant calf came thru the gate to her side of the fence and she led him back up the hill to the herd... not exactly rocket science but if you saw this happen you could see how she was thinking about how to get her calf back on the correct side...

Anyway here's the picture I posted earlier. She's my favorite. As far as "productive" - I haven't had any twins. Depends how you measure "productive". I am looking at productivity as weans a calf at 50-52% of her weight every year with no problems. I have several of those so can't say one os more productive than the others. 66 is my "favorite" though.

IMG_1689_Cow66_and_spring_calf_100309.jpg

Jim

Favorite cow Yes she needs her feet trimmed.

cowsatfarmfall2009017.jpg

Most productive that Doc hates and I love. Yes she had a heifer Doc. Yes I will keep her.Yes she is bred back.

cowsatfarmfall2009015.jpg

SRBeef":207nhp45 said:
CKC1586":207nhp45 said:
...Next best producer is one of her daughters here she is with the twins she raised last year:
DSCF0054.JPG

Wow! With one like that maybe you don't need to be afraid of twins?! That's a picture!

Jim
Thanks! Still rather they come one at a time. Here she is with her calf from this year:
IMG_0004.jpg

He was born 5/22/09 and weighed 71#, we weighed him 9/25 in Milwaukee and he was 552#, she is doing a great job!!

This is ONE of my favorites. I have a couple others too. #129 is 7 year old cow. One of the most maternal cows in the herd. Next spring we will calve 3 of her daughters and 3 grand daughters. We also have her most recent calf in the replacement pen and a great grand daughter in there too. She is purebred Shorthorn. Her calves have an average 205 day wt of 598.

tn_DSC06925.jpg

#129 with her calf this spring, less than an hour old.
tn_DSC07634.jpg

As for most productive, there is #78. Born in 1999, she has had 11 calves (2 sets of twins) and raised 9 of them, we sold the extras. We assisted her as a heifer and with 1 set of twins. The calves she raised had an average 205 day weight of 598. She's brought in more $ than any other cow.

xy_DSC00851.jpg

This is #78 and her calf this summer
tn_DSC09302.jpg

As far as growing a big calf, #59 has done it for us. She is 6 years old, and she has never had a calf under 600 lbs 205 day weight. Her average 205 day weight is 670 lbs. She does tend to drop a heavy BW though, one of our highest every year, with a 107 lb average. We don't assiste her (except when she was a heifer) so I don't worry too much about it. She is purebred (commercial) Hereford.

0059.jpg

59 and her calf this summer.
tn_DSC09310.jpg

As for production, she may not be my favorite, but holy smoke, 'ol blue has done it. Looks like she's missed meals all year round, but she is always one of the first to drop and calf and she raises a big 'un every year. Milks like a holstein and I've never had to assist her. Never, ever, missed. As for my favorite cow in terms of looks, there's #537. Won grand champion cow/calf pair twice at the county level, and I have received many good comments about her. She has a really nice udder to her, and she brings in a stout little bugger in the fall. Her daughter #737 had her first calf unassisted this last year, and may take momma's place in the show string. Also, #937, this year's 537 calf, is going to make a heck of a LimFlex show heifer.
IMG_3020.jpg

Blue
DSCF0017.jpg

blackcowz":3joent2d said:
As for production, she may not be my favorite, but holy smoke, 'ol blue has done it. Looks like she's missed meals all year round, but she is always one of the first to drop and calf and she raises a big 'un every year. Milks like a holstein and I've never had to assist her. Never, ever, missed. As for my favorite cow in terms of looks, there's #537. Won grand champion cow/calf pair twice at the county level, and I have received many good comments about her. She has a really nice udder to her, and she brings in a stout little bugger in the fall. Her daughter #737 had her first calf unassisted this last year, and may take momma's place in the show string. Also, #937, this year's 537 calf, is going to make a heck of a LimFlex show heifer.
IMG_3020.jpg

Blue
DSCF0017.jpg

Some that raise big uns are always the best.

0052.JPG

This is my favorite cow and her calf last year. She had another bull calf yesterday.

Dixieangus":3puoiery said:
thats a nice cow/calf...What a fence in the background

It's just a five strand barb wire with a hot wire on both sides and on the top.

I am a newby on here. Been lurking for a few days now. This is my first post. Hello all. First pic is my favorite heifer a Reg Beefmaster. 2nd and 3rd pic is my favorite cow (Numero 2) whom now has 2 month old heifer calf. Any one have ideas on what the 2nd cow is? Thanks

Beefmaster011.jpg

Cattle012.jpg

Here is Numero 2 with her calf at about 5 weeks old.

DSC00242.jpg

thats a fine looking beefmaster heifer.your pair looks like a red angus.but either way goodlooking cattle.

Latest posts