Your Favorite AI sire Select or ABS

Help Support CattleToday:

frieghttrain":3fzb4plj said:
Cow pollinator: do you use any ABS Limousin bulls?
Yes. I have around 200 units of justice, 100 of tow truck, and 10 of xcellsior in my personal inventory that is not for sale. I used tow truck on a set of my own heifers back in CA and was really pleased. Limi calves are not real popular in California but every one of them sold in my top set of calves and they were all out of first calf heifers.

sske":27vxmzf6 said:
Cow pollinator, what's your opinion of justice as a cross on Angus cows?
I think it's a great idea. He would be my pick over an angus cow over anything else in the catalog except maybe hereford and if I used hereford the plan would be to use him on the daughters. But I am a bit jaded as I raise Limousins. :D

My big question with justice is if I were to keep a bull calf by him what kind of epds do you think I should expect on the bull? Have you had any experience with justice sired bull calves?

sske":3gjm4hzo said:
My big question with justice is if I were to keep a bull calf by him what kind of epds do you think I should expect on the bull? Have you had any experience with justice sired bull calves?
I don't see many sons as pretty much everyone that used him kept the daughters so the sons got sold and that bull has been around a long time so there are lots of daughters out there. :lol:
EPD wise, it's going to depend on the cow side of things but you never know unless you try and even with the best matings sometimes you get a lemon. I'd say go for it and see what you get assuming that you have a quality cow in mind to work with.

Okay, and do you know the price on his semen through abs? I couldn't find it on their website.
Thank you

Cow pollinator have you had any experience with the black limousin bull Vision? Would you say he's comparable to Justice?

Luckiamute":3sweku2h said:
Has anyone used Deer Valley All In from Select Sires? He was on my short list last breeding season, but when SS ran out of female sexed semen for him I decided to go another direction. Would be curious to his pros and cons based on what folks have seen firsthand from his calves, especially his heifers. Are they keepers?

I would be very interested in the responses as I really liked a few of the sons I saw out of him. Also looking at some heifers that were AI'd to him.

sske":3bz9p0b9 said:
Cow pollinator have you had any experience with the black limousin bull Vision? Would you say he's comparable to Justice?
I don't know that much about him but I don't think he's going to bring as much to the table as Justice will. He's been around long enough now that if he was doing anything special we'd have all heard more about him by now.

We have used reserve from abs this year in some of the cattle.

If you guys get a chance look him up and tell me what you think.

SoILcattle":2p7j77di said:
We have used reserve from abs this year in some of the cattle.

If you guys get a chance look him up and tell me what you think.
The milk is way to high for my tastes but I'm working on feed efficiency genetics and he has a lot to offer plus extreme low intake so I added him in in moderation on some of my lower milk heifers. I saw a few early sons of his that I really liked phenotype wise.

I agree with the high milk, but that is one thing we are trying to increase in our heard.

What do you all think is the ideal milk epd? Is slightly above breed average too much?

18-35 in angus. I will consider to use in my commercial herd. However it depends on each cow and how they have done with calves and how their daughters do too. Ideally I like to stay in 20-30 range mostly.

CP or anyone else ever seen anything from the ABS bull Counselor? I thought I might sample him on a few this fall. He might make some good replacements.

Latest posts