Your extra daylight in the afternoon...

Help Support CattleToday:

It won't start til after the 20th of Dec when the shortest day of the year comes and we start the slow climb back to longer daylight hours. Maybe it is different there so far north?

farmerjan said:
It won't start til after the 20th of Dec when the shortest day of the year comes and we start the slow climb back to longer daylight hours. Maybe it is different there so far north?

No, the earliest sunset is not directly related to the shortest day. The further south you are the earlier in the year your earliest sunset is. Yours was probably awhile ago.

I haven't noticed any difference in the afternoon. But it does sure seem like sunrise is getting later. I am looking forward to longer days and I don't care which end lengthens out.

Of course it is the opposite here. I am looking forward to the days getting shorter with the countdown to winter. In winter I can be back in the house at 5.00pm and not feel guilty that I should be working.

Ken

Dave said:
I haven't noticed any difference in the afternoon. But it does sure seem like sunrise is getting later. I am looking forward to longer days and I don't care which end lengthens out.

You need to pay closer attention, according to sunrisesunset.com you are enjoying nearly two more full minutes in the afternoon already! :lol:

Silver said:
Dave said:

You need to pay closer attention, according to sunrisesunset.com you are enjoying nearly two more full minutes in the afternoon already! :lol:

Wow, and to think I have probably been wasting those two minutes :frowns: Because of the hill south of here the sun doesn't actually hit here until about 10:00 and it dips back behind the hills a little before 2:00. So I don't exactly have bright sun light in the afternoon no matter what time sunset is.

wbvs58 said:
Of course it is the opposite here. I am looking forward to the days getting shorter with the countdown to winter. In winter I can be back in the house at 5.00pm and not feel guilty that I should be working.

Ken

Now that is my kind of thinking. It doesn't take much to help me feel "not guilty." :lol:

I was driving home yesterday in the full dark.Looked at the clock and it was only 6:18. In November and December,especially when it's cloudy,it gets Dark in our valley.Not much light pollution ever gets here then.Won't be long,though until we will still have enough light at 6:00 to see to walk without a light. We're not far off 38 degrees latitude

Today the time between sun rise and sunset is one second less than yesterday. But tomorrow it is 9 seconds longer. I was trying to think of what to do with the extra 9 seconds. The wife said by the time I am done thinking it will be used up.

Our official day length today is 6 hours 53 minutes. Yesterday I worked from sun up to sundown preg testing at the neighbours.

Silver said:
Our official day length today is 6 hours 53 minutes. Yesterday I worked from sun up to sundown preg testing at the neighbours.

I have 8 hours and 47 minutes. But you are further north than I am. In fact you are further north than everyone.

Latest posts