Your best tips & practices...

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":2styiz3h said:
skyline":2styiz3h said:

IMO no more than 6 a 5 doesn't bother me at all. This is one thing I hate about carrying wet cows in the winter. One of the things I like about Nutreana liquid feed is you can maintain BCS with the wet cow on poor hay. I have heard some good things about Mix 30 but have never tried it. One of the best Cattlemen I know uses it.
I have found the CLS the cheapest route to maintain wet cattle in our winters on poor hay.

PS you have to have hay if you feed CLS as it is hot and makes them get after hay or anything else to fill that belly.

Yes sir. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, and I'll stop now, but if you don't have winter pasture coming on strong in the Fall, it's a real long winter with wet cows. If I ever get in this situation again, I'll be looking hard at liquid supplement.

Gotta get on with the to do list. Have a good one.

spoon":h9r4f7td said:
J. T.":h9r4f7td said:
Let grass feed your cattle as much as possible.
Pretty is as pretty does. (Apply this to cows, machinery, fences, chutes, dogs, and women)

Care to elaborate on this one? Do you prefer ugly cows, machines, fences , chutes, dogs, and women? :shock:
Sure, I'll elaborate. Looks mean nothing if there is no utility value or substance present. I've seen show winning cattle that do not produce. I wonder if a Westminister Champion dog can actually do the job it was intended for? Oftentimes not. My old tractor isn't a thing of beauty but it is dependable. My truck has no bells and whistles, it's just a plain utility vehicle which is what a truck is supposed to be. If fences and chutes are keeping cows confined, they are doing their job. You don't need white board fences and expensive store bought steel chutes and facilities. And women? No, I really like pretty women but a woman is only as pretty as her soul is. I've known several beautiful women that got ugly real fast once I really got to know them.

D.R. Cattle":3p4xoyt0 said:
How to raise cattle 101.
1. Put grass in front of the cow.
2. Put a bull behind the cow.
3. The rest will only be as complicated as you want it to be.

I've heard this before and it cracks me up every time...if only it was that easy.

skyline":9n75rphj said:
Caustic Burno":9n75rphj said:
skyline":9n75rphj said:

IMO no more than 6 a 5 doesn't bother me at all. This is one thing I hate about carrying wet cows in the winter. One of the things I like about Nutreana liquid feed is you can maintain BCS with the wet cow on poor hay. I have heard some good things about Mix 30 but have never tried it. One of the best Cattlemen I know uses it.
I have found the CLS the cheapest route to maintain wet cattle in our winters on poor hay.

PS you have to have hay if you feed CLS as it is hot and makes them get after hay or anything else to fill that belly.

Yes sir. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, and I'll stop now, but if you don't have winter pasture coming on strong in the Fall, it's a real long winter with wet cows. If I ever get in this situation again, I'll be looking hard at liquid supplement.

Gotta get on with the to do list. Have a good one.
Hey guys... thanks for the conversation. I posted another thread in Health & Nutrition regarding BCS...if you care to take a look...your answers might help others with the same dilema of determining BCS. Thanks!!

Latest posts