Your Best Steak

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE":31whlyaf said:
cypressfarms":31whlyaf said:
KNERSIE":31whlyaf said:
I also butcher at a younger age than most of you do in the USA as my facilities don't handle large carcasses very well.

When do you butcher Knersie?

I strive for a carcass of about 450 lbs. Depending on conditions and if I feed grain screenings or not that is usually between 11 and 14 months.

I've done this too and found that the texture of the meat is somewhat different. Kinda hard to explain but though it may not be as marbled the texture is such that it is very tender. Almost like the meat fibers are shorter or something. Ever notice this?

I have no idea what color of coat he/she was wearing when it entered the slaughterhouse, but the best ribeyes I ever had all came from the Sterling Silver line from Cargill. Generally great marbling and the fat kernel ratio in the the center has always been acceptable.

As for those I know what kind of coat they were wearing I'd have to say it was a hereford/angus x that was heavy on the hereford.

The last one we butchered was a black (bullish looking) heifer. If I had to guess the breed, I would say she was Angus x Limousin.

Latest posts