Your Best Steak

Help Support CattleToday:

Best ribeye was a simmenthal Red Angus cross. Best steak period was Carabou in the Phillipines

talldog":10tiej7d said:
Think back and be honest------- What breed of cattle did the best ribeye you can remember come off of------ Be HONEST !!!!!!!!!! :nod: :)

Everytime someone else buys me one I think it's the best I've ever had. Has more to do with it than the breed. ;-)

Best ever hands down was a 2 yr. old purebred Red Angus heifer that never cycled.

HEREFORD

DR Achiever 8403 steer out of a Trask x Victor dam - I was mad that he was a dink and didnt have enough grow to him only 580 dressed wt - I was very disappointed in the calf till I put him on my plate

Crossbred calves may beat the straight herfs on wts and even on marbling but there is more consistency on flavor & tenderness of my straightbred hereford calves - even though they all eat the same diet

Most folks are so happy to get a steer thats been dry aged 3 weeks before processing any old decent steer will do but for the gourmets - I always match them with a straight hereford for their freezer.

In truth management and how they are fed has just as much or more effect on the quality of the meat than the genetics behind it

For me its a toss-up between a CharXAngus steer (22 month old) and a heifer(15 month old black Angus) from last year. I think the steer was more tender, but the flavor of all we have raised/killed has been wonderful.

In about another week or so we'll pick up this years steer and see how he turned out. He was out of a black baldy, sired by a CharXAngus bull (interesting combo).

Katherine

Then you get to the evaluation of what is "best". Tenderness, flavor, texture, whatever ????????????

dun":2hhc5741 said:
Then you get to the evaluation of what is "best". Tenderness, flavor, texture, whatever ????????????

For all of the above it was a 28 month old Holstein steer that I raised from day one and finished it myself. We still talk about him (including anyone friends that ate him at a dinner party we had ). Everything was amazing about the meat all cuts even the ground beef was really flavorful all by itself.

His a hanging weight was ridiculous as well I have to look it up but it was around 1200lbs.

The 18 month old Holstein steer I did last year is really really good as well but not the same as that guy his hanging weight was around 749 lbs.

I haven't a clue what breed she was. Looked like she was a composite composite with every breed in her and maybe a touch of pig judging by her hindquarters. Butchered her because even I couldn't bring myself to breed to such an aberration. But she was marbled like an Alberta blizzard and as tender as butter on a hot plate.

hillsdown":2gz7s9kp said:
dun":2gz7s9kp said:

For all of the above it was a 28 month old Holstein steer that I raised from day one and finished it myself. We still talk about him (including anyone friends that ate him at a dinner party we had ). Everything was amazing about the meat all cuts even the ground beef was really flavorful all by itself.

His a hanging weight was ridiculous as well I have to look it up but it was around 1200lbs.

The 18 month old Holstein steer I did last year is really really good as well but not the same as that guy his hanging weight was around 749 lbs.
That's why I asked. For flavor the very best meat I've ever had was from a Gelbvieh. The very toughest meat I ever had was from the same steer. Ended up having to grind the steaks, even the fillets. For tenderness it was the Simmenthal angus, decent flavor but nothing like the Gelbvieh.

novaman":3jwrkubg said:
:nod: Holstein was the best I've ever had. But the steer that those steaks came from did not look like a Holstein when he finished out. If I would have dyed his hair I could have passed him off as Angus.

I guess I would have to say black baldie. Though I don't focus so much on breed as I do on a "per animal" basis.

I still remember the taste of a young water buffalo steak I ate while serving in Nam.
Hadent ate in three days and we shot a young water buffalo and roasted it over the fire before it could cool down.No salt,pepper or any seasoning at all but man it sure tasted good.

Cal

Saylor's Old Country Kitchen in Portland, OR. 8oz tenderloin, with baked potato and a side of deep fried onion rings. That's is after the relish dish with dip and the salad..... oh yes finished off with peppermint ice cream.

Other than that any farm raised and finished beef is great.... I just didn't have to cook the above and I love their onion rings.

Alan

Latest posts