Your best beef eating experience?

Help Support CattleToday:

Busterz":ee7s4jhk said:
Some of you might be interested in this book:

http://steakthebook.com/welcome/

The author travels around the world trying to find the best steak. I'm about halfway through it.
The author does not seem to think much of American Kobe :shock:
(One of his reviews)-

SWEET GRASS FARM BEEF
Lopez Island, Washington

Appears in: Chapter 7

The beef: Grass-fed Wagyu — and we're talking purebreds, not those Angus-crosses that get stuffed full of corn and potato peelings and sold as "American Kobe" in crappy steak houses all over the continent. These black beauties graze on a mix of cool season grasses including fescue, orchard grass and rye grass and, at the peak of the dry summer, reed canary grass, an unusual forage variety that farmer Scott Meyers has grown to great effect.

Type: Grass-fed

Aging: Dry aged for 14 days.

Age at Slaughter: 27-36 months. (Wagyu take longer to finish than other breeds.)

Tasting Notes: A beef so intense it nearly qualifies as an out of body experience. And yet it's tender, soft, supple and so fine your steak knife feels like its cutting satin.

Other: This beef has the most favorable ratio omega-6 to omega-3 fats I've ever seen.

Grade: A

alisonb":di3gjzfn said:
Busterz":di3gjzfn said:

The author travels around the world trying to find the best steak. I'm about halfway through it.
(One of his reviews)-

SWEET GRASS FARM BEEF
Lopez Island, Washington

The beef: Grass-fed Wagyu — and we're talking purebreds, not those Angus-crosses(Does not know the difference between Fullblood and purebred) that get stuffed full of corn and potato peelings and sold as "American Kobe" in crappy steak houses all over the continent :bs: :bs: :bs: Crappy steakhouses sell beef that costs $3.50 a lb not $30.00 a lb). These black beauties graze on a mix of cool season grasses including fescue, orchard grass and rye grass and, at the peak of the dry summer, reed canary grass, an unusual forage variety that farmer Scott Meyers has grown to great effect. :bs: Even in Japan Kobe is fed "grain fodder)See Wikipedia.

Type: Grass-fed I would like to see proof that you can marble anything to the KOBE grade (all 32 of them I have seen the chart and they are ALL above Prime) on grass alone. Pretty sure they do NOT finish KOBE BEEF that way in Japan

Aging: Dry aged for 14 days. Has no idea what "DRY AGING actually means

Age at Slaughter: 27-36 months. (Wagyu take longer to finish than other breeds.) TRUE

Tasting Notes: A beef so intense it nearly qualifies as an out of body experience. And yet it's tender, soft, supple and so fine your steak knife feels like its cutting satin.

Other: This beef has the most favorable ratio omega-6 to omega-3 fats I've ever seen.

Check out this link, the Company named on page 2 (Snake River Farms) is the American Kobe that I sell. http://www.chefseattle.com/articles/kob ... index.html

3waycross":33y0tpm0 said:
alisonb":33y0tpm0 said:
Busterz":33y0tpm0 said:

(One of his reviews)-

SWEET GRASS FARM BEEF
Lopez Island, Washington

The beef: Grass-fed Wagyu — and we're talking purebreds, not those Angus-crosses(Does not know the difference between Fullblood and purebred) that get stuffed full of corn and potato peelings and sold as "American Kobe" in crappy steak houses all over the continent :bs: :bs: :bs: Crappy steakhouses sell beef that costs $3.50 a lb not $30.00 a lb). These black beauties graze on a mix of cool season grasses including fescue, orchard grass and rye grass and, at the peak of the dry summer, reed canary grass, an unusual forage variety that farmer Scott Meyers has grown to great effect. :bs: Even in Japan Kobe is fed "grain fodder)See Wikipedia.

Type: Grass-fed I would like to see proof that you can marble anything to the KOBE grade (all 32 of them I have seen the chart and they are ALL above Prime) on grass alone. Pretty sure they do NOT finish KOBE BEEF that way in Japan

Age at Slaughter: 27-36 months. (Wagyu take longer to finish than other breeds.) TRUE

Check out this link, the Company named on page 2 (Snake River Farms) is the American Kobe that I sell. http://www.chefseattle.com/articles/kob ... index.html

I am just reading the guys book and I don't feel especially compelled to defend it but I'm not following some of the conlusions you commented on.

The beef: Grass-fed Wagyu — and we're talking purebreds, not those Angus-crosses(Does not know the difference between Fullblood and purebred)[/

I don't understand how his statement means he doesn't know the difference between fullbloods and purebred. He doesn't say anything about fullbloods. And he mentions Angus-crosses, but how do know know that not eactly what he means???

I followed your link to the Snake River beef and they refered to their cattle as Angus Wagyu crosses.

These black beauties graze on a mix of cool season grasses including fescue, orchard grass and rye grass and, at the peak of the dry summer, reed canary grass, an unusual forage variety that farmer Scott Meyers has grown to great effect. :bs: Even in Japan Kobe is fed "grain fodder)See Wikipedia.

I think he was describing what those particular cattle are fed. I didn't take it to mean that he was trying to say they were fed the exact same way Kobe beef are fed. ?????

Here he describes the "type" as "grass-fed" I don't see how your statement about grass and prime applies??? And again I don't see how the statement makes a reference to the way Kobe beef is fed in Japan.

The guy says its dry aged for 14 days and that means he "has no idea what dry aging actually means"?

:???:

Well Busterz let me see if I can clarify. I was actually responding to the way Alison had characterised his position.

The position I took exception to was that you could EVER feed a Wagyu animal on a strictly grass diet to a point where it would make a KOBE grade piece of meat. Saying in fact that they also use grain in Japan to finish them but he is touting some "grassfed" operation in the pacific northwest as some shining example of this being possible to which I reiterate my original position of :bs: :bs: :bs: :bs: . The Snake River Farms program actually NEVER puts their cattle on grass after weaning and even then they need right at 30 months to create anything that even cloasely resembles a "KOBE" product. Sweetgrass farms might be selling some nice beef but if it doesn't grade it's not even KOBE style. The fact that Snake River and others use Potatoes,and some grains to finish their beef does not make them bad guys as the "Author" would have you believe. He seems to think that a higher % of Wagyu means a better finished product. I disagree. What makes a better product is whther or not the animal is finished correctly and at what age. All the Sweetgrass folks admit to is that their animals are over 2yrs of age. My guess is that they are WAAAAAAAAY over that.

Refering to the dry aged remark. Most people and maybe you included do not know what constitutes REAL dry aging. I have read the Sweetgrass website and nowhere does it say the meat is "dry aged" . Keep in mind that dry age is NOT hanging a carcass in the cooler for 14 days and then cutting it up. True "dry age" involves a climate (heat and humidity) controlled process with the meat broken into primal cuts and held under Bacteriostatic lights for up to 45 days and possible more. The HUGE downside of REAL dry age is that the meat shrinks horribly for at least the first several says because there is so much exposed surface.

For the record I disagree with Alison the author actually does seem to think a lot of Sweetgrass even though most of what he says is BS. He also doesn't know much about other very high quality programs out there. He seems to be like a lot of "City" airheads that get some grassfed,organic, smoke blown up their bark eating butts and think they are going to save the planet one blade of tofu at a time.

alisonb":3juj475y said:
SWEET GRASS FARM BEEF
Lopez Island, Washington

The beef: Grass-fed Wagyu — and we're talking purebreds, not those Angus-crosses that get stuffed full of corn and potato peelings and sold as "American Kobe" in crappy steak houses all over the continent. These black beauties graze on a mix of cool season grasses including fescue, orchard grass and rye grass and, at the peak of the dry summer, reed canary grass, an unusual forage variety that farmer Scott Meyers has grown to great effect.
A snobbish opinion if nothing else. Ninety nine out of a hundred couldn't afford the beef he's touting so they have to settle for crap.

ga.prime":2dxij27x said:
alisonb":2dxij27x said:
SWEET GRASS FARM BEEF
Lopez Island, Washington

A snobbish opinion if nothing else. Ninety nine out of a hundred couldn't afford the beef he's touting so they have to settle for crap.

It can be affordable if it's done the right way. I sold some "Kobe" Strips today for right at $22.00lb. They need to be cut into steaks no more than 6 oz and at least 1" thick. That puts a portion with all things considered at $9.48 to the plate for the operator. He should be getting right at $40 to $45 with some trimmings. That's very cheap for Kobe style and sure as he[[ not what you are gonna see at any "cheap" steakhouses.
What you don't do with that meat is cut a 12 to 16oz steak and serve it to the average person the cost becomes prohibitive and it's too rich a portion.

and yer right Prime it's exactly the hippie, snob,subaru drivin, tree huggin, grassfed beef religious attitude that I deal with every day. These burnt out old retired jerks show up here with their bald heads and grey pony tails and think they're gonna reinvent the wheel and then they can't understand why their restuarant fails in a year....it's simple....their food sucks .....and none of the locals can stand them!

People will likely never reach consensus on this topic, there are just too many variables. Just looking at the method of cooking alone and not taking preparation, cut of meat, breed, feed, marbling, aging, man's ego, etc. into account the variables are already aplenty.
I suppose it all comes down to what an individual prefers.....

alisonb":350t38qo said:
People will likely never reach consensus on this topic, there are just too many variables. Just looking at the method of cooking alone and not taking preparation, cut of meat, breed, feed, marbling, aging, man's ego, etc. into account the variables are already aplenty.
I suppose it all comes down to what an individual prefers.....
That's it in a nutshell. My preference is for old bull beef for flavor, but it's tougher then wang leather unless it's in burger form.

robert":2abx5n4b said:
3waycross":2abx5n4b said:
going to save the planet one blade of tofu at a time.

lmao - that's funny

LOLOL.......I remember proofreading that and thinking, Wow! I may have just had a "Reverend Jim" moment........ :shock:

I have been on a pretty bad tree hugger rant lately. Sorry if I inflicted it on everyone here :frowns:

3waycross":3ly75fnm said:
robert":3ly75fnm said:
3waycross":3ly75fnm said:

lmao - that's funny

LOLOL.......I remember proofreading that and thinking, Wow! I may have just had a "Reverend Jim" moment........ :shock:

I have been on a pretty bad tree hugger rant lately. Sorry if I inflicted it on everyone here :frowns:
Don't apologize 3waycross! I am ready to help you 'mow down' the tree-hugging, snail-darting, cow-dressing, spotted-owl, cross-dressing environmentalists, and 'tedder' them into a 1/2 ton square bale for safe keeping! Alert John Deere!

DOC HARRIS

If the Hippy,snob,subarn drivin,tree hugging,grassfed beef religious were not around, Who would take care of Mother Earth? Surly not the other side of the coin!

The drill baby drill crowd, the oil spilling Oil companys, the ever consuming, I do not believe in Global Warming group...I get tired of the Liberal B.S myself, but The Other Side is not so pretty either.. Left or Right , get pretty crazy....

It like Clean Cool--There is not such a thing...
The natural gas Bill of 2005, is on of the worst things to happen to USA, we just have not realized it yet...

3waycross":2zb3xovr said:
robert":2zb3xovr said:
3waycross":2zb3xovr said:

lmao - that's funny

I concur with Doc, 3way. No apologies needed, and I share your frustration. :clap:

Black Coos":2mbqhwhd said:
If the Hippy,snob,subarn drivin,tree hugging,grassfed beef religious were not around, Who would take care of Mother Earth? Surly not the other side of the coin!

The drill baby drill crowd, the oil spilling Oil companys, the ever consuming, I do not believe in Global Warming group...I get tired of the Liberal B.S myself, but The Other Side is not so pretty either.. Left or Right , get pretty crazy....

The natural gas Bill of 2005, is on of the worst things to happen to USA, we just have not realized it yet...

'Nuff said - on THIS thread!

DOC HARRIS

Black Coos":259ywt9k said:

:secret: :secret: :bs: :bang: :bang:
I couldn't find a better icon to bite my tongue

Black Coos":1ccd15ky said:

Nobody takes care of Mother Earth better than the folks that depend on her to make their living, and that sure as heck ain't the average tree hugger. Most tree huggers I've known don't really give a rat's ass about the planet. Deep down inside they're unhappy with their lives and themselves so they've become obsessed with "making a difference". Gives their lives meaning and all that stuff.

As for the original question, I don't remember a specific "best" beef eating experience, but I don't remember any bad ones either.

Totally agree Van,
Those that squander and abuse assets aren't left with them for long.
Very few that depend on "mother earth" for a living are willing to lay waste to it.

Those that don't manage their assets won't keep them either.
The tree huggers go back to their apartments in the city and dream of natural habitats for hairless rats that I don't imagine taste that great and can't feed many off of a sackful.

Mickey's Golden Nugget Steakhouse in Baton Rouge went out of business and since then I've had to grow my own.

Latest posts