youngest heifer to calve

Help Support CattleToday:

simcross

Reaction score
A heifer had a calf the 19th of March this heifer was born 28th of Dec 2007
So she had a calf at 447 days just under 15 months old.
She would have been bred June 10 at 165 days or 5 1/2 months old

She had it on her own nice heifer calf on the small side but it is doing fine.

I thought she was breed had a vet preg her in Feb. he thought she was 5 or 6 months along

my youngest 16 months had the vet pull, she was slow to breed back. i sold her to my bro-in-law.

Our youngest heifer was a Holstien Angus that was born the end of December. She calved the end of April, at about 16 months. Was a light pull, and she calved the next year in March. This year she is on her 3rd calf, and should calve in the next week or so.

Just curious, What was the average weight of these heifers that were 15-16 months old that calved?

I had a Braunvieh cross calve 5 days short of 13 mos.. Had a 70 lb. heifer unassisted. Kept her and she'll be having her 4th calf at a little less than 4 yrs. of age. Had 1 at 15 mos. and several at 19 mos., all unassisted, so now they all get Luted at weaning time.

On the question about weight.
the heifer I had was not very big probably not 800 lbs.
She came from a good cow was nice size at weaning.
I will wait and she how she does with calf

I had a Braunvieh cross calve 5 days short of 13 mos

If my math is correct and working on a 9 months and 10 days gestation the heifer got bred at 3 1/2 months! :shock:

Are you sure that her age was correct?

I've had a few youngsters calve over the years-we had a Ra/Simm calve at 14 months and never skipped a beat till she was 15-she even had a set of twins along the way. I had a bad record picking 4H heifers for my kids I think 3 of them almost calved by achievement day.

We bought a heifer from the sale yards as a 6mth old.
9mths later she had a calf. The rest of the herd were making a lot of noise through the day which was not normal. On feeding out noticed she was pushing and uneasy, then noticed water bag in paddock. Managed to get her into the yards and after a while with no action had to pull the calf. Took two men and a fair bit of grunt but out she came. To add to the stress the calf must have rolled under the bottom rail of the yards and wandered into a paddock of asparagus. I found here pretty miserable with a dusting of frost at 7am the next morning!
Cow and calf seem to be doing well a month or so on, if anything I'd say the calf is a bit mad or hyperactive!!
Will never know if farmer knew heifer had been serviced and sent her off to sales, or if she was having fun at or on the way.

KNERSIE":1475z167 said:
I had a Braunvieh cross calve 5 days short of 13 mos

If my math is correct and working on a 9 months and 10 days gestation the heifer got bred at 3 1/2 months! :shock:

Are you sure that her age was correct?
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't a Braunvieh a Brahma X Gelbvieh? If so I definately believe that's the correct age. I had a Gelbvieh heifer calve at just over 12 months of age. Gelbvieh tend to mature very quickly. I too give all weaned heifers a shot of lute and the vet recommended dex along with to be sure there is no chance of this happening again.

Most recently, last year I jerked a 90some lb steer calf out of a 15 month old heifer. Guessing she weighed around 850 or so, calf slowed down her growth. About a week after the calf was born she stepped on it and broke it's leg. Gave the calf to a friend of ours at about 3mo, the kept it a while and vealed it. Sent the cow down the road when I pulled the calf off, see ya.

Latest posts