youngest heifer to calve??

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
I just had one calve at 18 months. Looks like I had a fence jumper somewhere. DNA test on the calf I guess to see if my herd bull jumped the fence. This heifer was checked in October as I was running her through the chutes with the rest and checked open. I was surprised to see her bagging up. She must have gotten bred at 9 months old. She calved on her own and unassisted and so far is being an attentive mother. Got lucky there.

Made a farm visit to one of my Jersey dairy clients many years ago... he had several 14 month-old heifers that had calved and were in the milking string; bet the 'cows' didn't weigh 400 lb.

The first year I did the bred heifer deal I bought 5 heifers from a guy. They were March calves. Two of them calved in May. So they would have been 14 month. I told that to the guy I bought them from and he said, "I don't know how that could happen." He had pulled his bull in October.

I like my heifers to calve before 20 months unassisted. They make the best cows, IMO. For starters their really fertile, and I sell all my calves off heifers at 6 months regardless. And when the heifer has finished growing, most of the time they end up being smaller framed cows. Kind of like Longhorn cattle but with good genetics. I haven't found a down side yet, well besides the cows frame size. Because a big ole cow does look really good in the front pasture.

HOSS":1rbmedwp said:
I just had one calve at 18 months. Looks like I had a fence jumper somewhere. DNA test on the calf I guess to see if my herd bull jumped the fence. This heifer was checked in October as I was running her through the chutes with the rest and checked open. I was surprised to see her bagging up. She must have gotten bred at 9 months old. She calved on her own and unassisted and so far is being an attentive mother. Got lucky there.

I had the same happen in October of 2014 (18 month old momma) and as a bonus she put her second calf on the ground in September of this year.

Talk about a fertile Myrtle. :cboy:

WalnutCrest":1d9ls3eb said:
A friend of mine got his third calf (all unassisted) out of a cow by her third birthday...

We did that this year. Except the heifer had twins the second time around.

Have had a handful @14 mo over the years. Needle them now to avoid it.

Vet said youngest the had ever seen was 12mo. Which is insane when you stop and think about it.

Had one, quite a few years ago, at 15 months. I didn't know it. She never got big, never bagged up but one day she popped out a calf, unassisted. She did a half-way decent job raising it.

I sold them both.

Supa Dexta":3i2m1bhx said:

Vet said youngest the had ever seen was 12mo. Which is insane when you stop and think about it.

Breed at 3 months wow :shock:

Had few heifers calved at 14-15 months old and all of them have been sold since they won't get bred on time (tightening up calving season). Lost the last heifer trying to delivering a 110lbs bull calf.

ez14":ixctvg1c said:
Supa Dexta":ixctvg1c said:

Could have bred at 4 or 5 and been really early.

shortybreeder":1lx1w9rg said:
ez14":1lx1w9rg said:
Supa Dexta":1lx1w9rg said:

Could have bred at 4 or 5 and been really early.
I thought of that but thats still surprising

Saw my 8 month old bull calf breed a 13 month old heifer yesterday. My first thought was to hit her with lute in about 15 days. This thread is making me re-think that.