Young sprigged bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

Cross-7

Reaction score
I didn't want to hijack Callmefence topic.
I have the same problem.
It's been raining since it was sprigged.
I have weeds and grasses taking over.
I'm in a restricted county so I can't use 24-d and it wouldnt help on the other grasses anyway.

At what stage can I turn the cows in to control the other grasses and not have the bermuda pulled up when grazed ?

Problem with turning cows in is they pull up and disturb the runners from setting root at the nodes. But if it's running it's probably tough enough for spraying ally. The sprigged should handle it fine, it's the seeded that needs a couple months to get a good root hold before spraying.

How is the winter hardiness of Bermuda? Anyone got a link to something that's interesting to farmers? All the links I find are for $%$$ lawns

Nesikep said:
How is the winter hardiness of Bermuda? Anyone got a link to something that's interesting to farmers? All the links I find are for $%$$ lawns

We get a few nights during winter below zero but not many and very few days that don't warm up above freezing.
In this area Midland 99 will survive where coastal, tifton and etc won't

Primary Bermuda here is Coastal Bermuda which has to be sprigged. You could google the subject and maybe Wikipedia has a history on it. It's in common usage here in N. Tx and down to the coast. Has to be rejuvenated every once in awhile, but depends on weather and care. Nice thing about it is that it survives droughts with roots as deep as several feet and the runners will develop a new plant if separated from the mother, like if you run a Hay King Pasture renovator across it and the coulters cut the shoots. It really likes N and if you keep the abundance of N on it and it has a little water it will really produce....great all-stock all around hay and pasture. For max protein and TDN and all that, cutting rate is about once a month.

Cross-7 said:
I didn't want to hijack Callmefence topic.
I have the same problem.
It's been raining since it was sprigged.
I have weeds and grasses taking over.
I'm in a restricted county so I can't use 24-d and it wouldnt help on the other grasses anyway.

At what stage can I turn the cows in to control the other grasses and not have the bermuda pulled up when grazed ?
I think if I could get across it with a shredder that is what I would do.

fertilize and Mow it. if you have a good stand of bermuda it will take off and choke most evrything else out. in the spring you will see a flush of weeds and you should be able to spray then to control.

Cross-7 said:
Nesikep said:

We get a few nights during winter below zero but not many and very few days that don't warm up above freezing.
In this area Midland 99 will survive where coastal, tifton and etc won't

We spend about a good month at 0F, about the coldest night of the year might get down to -20 but that's pretty rare

Latest posts