Young Simbra Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

ollie'":1tqdfmu0 said:
I have this reoccuring dream where I walk out one morning and find "Panda" in a set of syncronized heifers. I wake up screaming and my wife has to comfort me and fix me a warm glass of milk so I can go back to sleep.

I can see where that dream would cause one to wake to hear his/her own screaming! :lol: :lol:

This may be the first time everyone on this board has agreed on something.

He's would'nt make a good steer.

Buck Benham-

Check out my post on "Am I crazy? I like Color- - -" You have received some pretty strong answers on this post, but it is nothing like what you have asked for! Obviously, you are raising "Cute" instead of "Intelligent". Do some reading and learning!

DOC HARRIS

ollie'":1nrlc49y said:
I have this reoccuring dream where I walk out one morning and find "Panda" in a set of syncronized heifers. I wake up screaming and my wife has to comfort me and fix me a warm glass of milk so I can go back to sleep.
Ovaltine, Ollie, Ovaltine. - - and save some for the calf, too!

DOC HARRIS

You might want to give a thorough read to the subject "Bulls" on this board

dun

BuckBenham":nixjstib said:
Yes, I agree the color is kind of strange. Supposed to be half semital and half brahman, anyway I'm not sure. When you look at him in life he doesn't look like a milk cow. The color isn't what I'd have liked it to be. LOL. We got 10 cows and the bull in trade for dozer work, LOL. Was a good deal for us. That was before diesel got so expensive. Anyway we'll see what the calves look like. I'll try to keep in touch and show them when they start to come along. Enjoy the responses and advise. Keep in touch,
Buck

It is a little more than just his colors (though they are a red flag). Look at his butt....he has none!!! The pin bones of his ass stick out and then his hide is a tight slope all the way down to his hocks. THERE is no muscle bulge anywhere in there at all. The pin bones on a healthy bull should be so covered in red meat and condition that you can't clearly see them and the flesh of his round should stick out much further than his pins anyway. You look at his butt and Holstein is the only thing that is even close to that. I am not a big Simmie guy; but not many of them are lite muscled to that degree. Then you go to the front end and he has a big massive head that is out of proportion with the rest of his body. That big noggin on his calves is likely to get stuck in the cows' birth canals even if the birth wt is only 75 pounds (and eared sires typically have HIGHER birth wts). He is also a little lacking in the length department. I don't see a big muscular chuck or loin to make up for his rear problems and he looks SMALL in that photo.

I know you got a good deal on him and his calves MIGHT be better than he is and I have certainly seen worse herd sires; but given that beef prices are high right now you might want to take him to town along with your worst cow and come back with a better bull with some kind of performance history behind him. To me he just looks like the wild bull calf that somebody didn't catch at sale time. I really can't see any other reason that anybody would hold him back for development as a bull.

the color is ok for me, if you have conservatively marked cows like say angus or hereford. my biggest concerns are his underline is loose and straight down and on top of that he lets it all hang out. thats just asking for trouble. secondly he has no butt, and that makes him a poor representative of his breeding. are you saying he's half simmental and half brahman? so hes an f-1 simbrah? or do you know?
thirdly hes in his awkward growing stage anyway, and he really needs to be separated from cows and fed well if you are going to use him as a herd bull. there are much better and much worse bulls breeding cows right now.

Latest posts