Young Prospect Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

WindyHillFarm

Reaction score
Well I have a young bull that I got when I purchased some Heifers this year. I never intended to keep him as a herd bull but thought he would make a good heifer bull considering the price was right and he would not put to much stress on the heifers. I have found a registered Angus yearling bull and although he is not everything I am looking for he does show an improvment over my current bull. Tell me what you think get him now and sell current bull or wait until something else comes along? I also realize improving a herd takes time therefore the idea of a huge bull is not the top of my list I usually work them by myself so temperment and ease of working plays a large part. As well as the cost involved all in all I should be able to get rid of the current bull and obtain this one for a few hundreds more than I have out now.

Current Bull (not registered)
DSCI0007.jpg

Prospect Bull

49040017.jpg

49040013.jpg

49040011.jpg

Sire of prospect
49040002.jpg

Didn't you post the "current" bull on another thread? I don't care much for him, but I don't care much for the "prospect" either. They look like full brothers. Sorry if I sound harsh.

I wouldn't use any of the 3 you have posted. The second really isn't any improvement over what you have already, so I sure wouldn't waste my money there. Either find something better or stick with what you have. They are all lightly muscled, no hindquarter to speak of, very light bone on them all as well. Your current bull also appears to have weak hind pasterns, so if anything, that is about all you would improve by buying the new bull.

dyates":104ysmse said:
Didn't you post the "current" bull on another thread? I don't care much for him, but I don't care much for the "prospect" either. They look like full brothers. Sorry if I sound harsh.

Yes I did post a photo before. He is weak and I do not intend to use him next year. That being said I think I will keep the weaknesses I have now and move on until I can find a better Bull as it does not seem like there would be enough gain the the prospect bull

Same " Current Bull" today

DSCI0004-4-1.jpg

If you want black, use the one you have.
If you want black with papers, buy the new one.
If you want quality, keep looking.

Your time and effort alone is worth more $$$ than any one of those.

Current bull looks like he has some Gelbvieh in him. That might give you "some" heterosis. Other than that he's no looker but I think he's no worse and maybe better than the prospect.

Windyhillfarm,
I have been where you are, with the type bull you currently have and you will be set back with your current bull and/or the replacement your looking to buy. I posted a bull, first bull, I bought last May and got my butt handed to me to say the least! He was as bad as all you have posted. These bulls look like cows with testicles. I would sell your bull for freezer beef like I did and look for quality. You will be surprized at the bulls with great temperment you can find that will be an asset to your herd. If you keep using this bull or buy the other replacement your operation will suffer greatly. You will be feeding more and gaining less. Stop and start over. I did it. Look at the bulls others post to try to gain an eye for them. I didn't buy a super expensive bull the next time around but I did alot better phenotypicly the next time around.

Thanks for all your comments and as said, it is time to send him to the sale, with the cost to feed him this winter I would be better to sock the money away until I find one that someone needs to sell rather than feed all winter. Here are a couple of the Heifers that I have collected this year. I have got most of them a few at a time and think the most recent charlais is the best prospect the two with two ear tags are the only registered animals and the rest are angus charlais cross

11 month old Charlais she is starting to settle in and fill out she has only been here 10 days
DSCI0012-2.jpg

DSCI0008-1.jpg

DSCI0012-1.jpg

Two Registered Angus Heifers 11 months and 12 months
DSCI0015-2.jpg

Charlais cross heifer not sure on age about 16-18 months
DSCI0009-1.jpg

DSCI0013-1.jpg

The girls out in the pasture

DSCI0001-6.jpg

DSCI0003-2.jpg

Your heifers are much nicer than your bull. At their age you don't need a bull right now anyway. The CharX doesn't look to be 18-19 mths old but younger. I'd bet she will be the one to give you the best calf. I would look to buy a bull when you would like to start your breeding season. Think about considering a bull of a non related breed that way you can get some hybrid vigor in your calves.
Best of Luck to you!

Australian":3apn4rds said:
You are game. I'd be eaten by other board posters when I say I don't like an animal, honestly.I'd say go ahead and say they are wonderful even if they aren't. I will from now on or make no comment at all. I was offended by being called an idiot.
your comments are as wecolme as anybodys colin, but you gonna rub folks wrong when you keep throwin' comments about US cattle around

alacattleman":250211yx said:
Australian":250211yx said:
You are game. I'd be eaten by other board posters when I say I don't like an animal, honestly.I'd say go ahead and say they are wonderful even if they aren't. I will from now on or make no comment at all. I was offended by being called an idiot.
your comments are as wecolme as anybodys colin, but you gonna rub folks wrong when you keep throwin' comments about US cattle around

I agree with alacattleman as far as your comments are welcome. Also I think you have had just as harsh of words for other posters here, also I know you have hurt others feelings also. Although you are not the only one bashing American cattle of late. As stated in a previous post, there are many beginners, young folk, as well as seasoned cattlemen and women with outstanding cattle here. But as with any pics posted, it does not reflect American cattle as a whole.... it's just one animal.

Stick around,
Alan

Colin,
I guarantee there are people on these boards that are as proud of their cattle as you are of yours even though in your eyes they might be calling an apple an orange.
But I admire a critical eye from any standpoint because it forces you to evaluate from an angle that may not have been apparent at first, Right or wrong.
I think you got game for being direct in your evaluations, although generalizing tends to stoke the fire a bit.
I would hope that you would continue to be Colin come what may on these boards because you have a different insight and knowledge that adds to the diversity present here. And I appreciate that.

Chris

Latest posts