Young Polled Hereford bull PIC

Help Support CattleToday:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Well, my friends, I am back after the vacations I gave you from my pictures :D

Here is a young polled bull (one year and a half old). I am bringing him to my AI Center and I decided to post it here to hear the bad and good things you people see..

The quality of the pics it's not so good as other times, sorry.

diablorojo4.jpg

diablorojo5.jpg

His mother

diablorojomadre.jpg

diablorojomadre1.jpg

His father

diablorojopadre.jpg

Cheers
L

I'm not crazy about the white legs, but otherwise, he is thick, smooth, deep and well sprung with a great topline and great pigment. I'd like to see a rear view, but I'm pretty confident it is impressive.

US breeders should be on the next plane down to Uruguay and get some of these great cattle.There's not a thing wrong with that cows udder. She obviously hasn't a calf at foot at the present. She might be an aged cow. At least she has some visible signs that she has been a breeder. Often in a lot of the show pictures of various breeds in the US the cows have no sign of any udder at all. Beats me what they feed their calves with if ever they have any. No US person should be too picky about colour. Check out some of the previous Poll Hereford posts from the US.
Once again Lorenzo they are great examples of the Poll Hereford breed. You should do well with the bull. He has excellent eye pigmentation and conformation is excellent.
Colin :clap:

I like him Lorenzo, the only thing I wish is that he had a bully-er head.

As for the cow's udder, I think we need to see a closer picture before we start making too many judgements. On my first look I thought the front right (her right) teat looked to be huge, but when I look closer I'm not sure whether in the pic both front teats are in line together, making it look like one bigger teat.

OLF":uz0ndpu1 said:
I'm not crazy about the white legs,

Why is that? :???:

northtexas":19uwsm12 said:
>>There's not a thing wrong with that cows udder. She obviously hasn't a calf at foot at the present.<<

You are an idiot. Of course there is no calf at side. Can you imagine what it would look like if she were lactating?

I've always liked your "kinder and gentler" side :lol:

Keren":rthvxzfb said:

As for the cow's udder, I think we need to see a closer picture before we start making too many judgements. On my first look I thought the front right (her right) teat looked to be huge, but when I look closer I'm not sure whether in the pic both front teats are in line together, making it look like one bigger teat.

OLF":rthvxzfb said:

It doesn't bother me terribly, personally. I like his conformation and if I liked his genotype, performance, production and carcass traits, I would use him. BUT, in New England (Northeast US), when selling perebred Herefords dark red brings a higher price and less white (red necks and red legs) brings a higher price. I'm not saying it's right, but it's what this market wants. If you've seen my pictures, I obviously have plenty of white in my herd. White seems to follow the other traits which are important to me. If I can produce Herefords with low birthweight, good carcass, good structure and good performance, that also are dark red and have little white, that would be ideal. My goal is to produce a great steak, but I also have to give my customers what they want. Color is low on my priority list, but I do want to have marketable cattle.

Well, the idea was to discuss the young bull but as the topic went another way let me tell you that when the picture was taken the cow have been separated from a calf not too much time ago and one of the teats was sore.
I also don't like the udder but the cow is a GREAT donor.

L

Australian":1e5ojs3w said:
US breeders should be on the next plane down to Uruguay and get some of these great cattle.There's not a thing wrong with that cows udder. She obviously hasn't a calf at foot at the present. She might be an aged cow. At least she has some visible signs that she has been a breeder. Often in a lot of the show pictures of various breeds in the US the cows have no sign of any udder at all. Beats me what they feed their calves with if ever they have any. No US person should be too picky about colour. Check out some of the previous Poll Hereford posts from the US.
Once again Lorenzo they are great examples of the Poll Hereford breed. You should do well with the bull. He has excellent eye pigmentation and conformation is excellent.
Colin :clap:

Colin I have noticed that you seem to be increasingly more antagonistic towards the US lately. What's up with that.

We all work with what we have and what we perceive works in our area. I can't remember the last time anyone on here knocked you or Australia.

Keren":1sw3ld62 said:

OLF":1sw3ld62 said:

Karen would you post a picture that shows what a bully-er head should look like on a 1 1/2 year old Hereford bull.

What I see is maybe a bit of a short head(not a fault in my book) about an axe handle wide across the forehead and COVERED with thick curly hair indicitive of a high testosterone level.

What is it about his head that is lacking?

OLF":3549sa8n said:
Keren":3549sa8n said:

OLF":3549sa8n said:

It doesn't bother me terribly, personally. I like his conformation and if I liked his genotype, performance, production and carcass traits, I would use him. BUT, in New England (Northeast US), when selling perebred Herefords dark red brings a higher price and less white (red necks and red legs) brings a higher price. I'm not saying it's right, but it's what this market wants. If you've seen my pictures, I obviously have plenty of white in my herd. White seems to follow the other traits which are important to me. If I can produce Herefords with low birthweight, good carcass, good structure and good performance, that also are dark red and have little white, that would be ideal. My goal is to produce a great steak, but I also have to give my customers what they want. Color is low on my priority list, but I do want to have marketable cattle.

Thanks olf, makes sense. Give em what they want, right?

I'm not antagonistic toward US persons at all. But lets face it there are some pretty poor quality cattle posted from time to time. I would like to have a look at cattle in the US and not at some of those that are posted here. There must be better quality about. I'm not an idiot at all as posted above.

Australian":12dkajdu said:
I'm not antagonistic toward US persons at all. But lets face it there are some pretty poor quality cattle posted from time to time. I would like to have a look at cattle in the US and not at some of those that are posted here. There must be better quality about. I'm not an idiot at all as posted above.

I don't think you're an idiot. The fact is I agree with your statement about Uraguayan cattle in general. But then I kinda like most things with a little flesh and a big butt. Nuthin wrong with that.

The problem you are having is that you seem to want to judge the US cattle industry based on what you see posted here.

Don't lose sight of the fact that there are only maybe 15 to 20 serious cattlemen or women that post here. Plus a whole bunch of novices and beginners. Judging our whole industry by that is like a bunch of blind men trying to describe an Elephant by touch only without ever having seen one.

I would like to see a pic of that bull from both a straight on hind end shot and a broad side.
from what I can see I like the head and he looks to have some good muscle.

Hey Colin time to step up to the plate already. It's been over 2 weeks. Time to put up.

Very nice looking bull he is already looking alot like his sire; but whether he is worthy of young sire AI status has yet to be seen . EPD's on his dam and sire would be helpful.

The dams udder whether dry or not is horrendous BUT if she did have problems after weening such as infection, injury etc, then it is irrelevant and will have nothing do do with the quality of the bull and his heritability (?).

I have used young sires of dams that have been retired after a few year because of environmental problems which had nothing to do with genetics, but that was dairy and may be regarded differently in the beef world.

It looks like she has two blown teats and a third on the way. She's not even close to donor material in my book, I guess I'm just too picky. :roll:

I think maybe with the language barrier Lorenzo meant to say, great Dam, not donor . I don't think he would consider flushing a cow of this quality.

I try not to have any negative posts but this time I just have to chime in.

I do not believe there is such thing as a good cow with a bad udder. The udder is the first thing I look at. That cow would of left my place so fast your head would spin, headed for the hamburger factory. And her bull calf would have been castrated and on the same truck.

Latest posts