Young mama

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Just a bit of interesting information. At the recent Melbourne show there was a bit of a stir at the Simmi ring. In the 12 - 15 months old heifer class there was . . . a cow with a week old calf! She was 14.5 months, so bred when she was 5 months old. She won the class but didn't get anything in the junior champion. Judge said he'd never seen it before. Anyone else seen/heard of a situation like this?

Never heard of that in a show ring before... we had a heifer at Adelaide this year that was 14 months and about 7 months pregnant... by accident of course.
I don't like seeing young calves at shows anyway.

We had one heifer get bred at 4 months, it sure surprised us to find a calf in our replacement pen... At the sales barns around here, buyers won't even look at a heifer calf unless she's been preg chelked open. I guess they had too many drop calves in the feedlot. :roll:

What age do they typically start cycling. We've left heifers with their mommas with the bull when they were 6-7 months old and we've never had one calve out that early. :?: No yall have gone n got me confused :(

I've never heard of this :oops:

I think they start cycling as early as four months and as late as nine. However, I'm not "sure":?: We usually leave our calves out with the bull until weaning, about 7-8months. We've only had that happen once in 15yrs. I do know down at the sales barn they have a few almost every sale, (in the fall). Our heifer that calved at 13months has never been able to raise a decent calf, (we've kept her as an experiment). Her growth was also really stunted, however, over the years (I believe she's four now) she's finally grown to be a "smaller cow". I do remember reading about a study done on breeding calves at different ages, don't remember where that was, maybe the Farm & Ranch Guide?

The average age a heifer starts cycling is 5 months... that's why we try to draft the bulls and heifers before then to prevent any 'accidents'. it really is touch and go as to whether they actually get in calf that young.

We have had two heifers get breed around 6 months of age. One was a Gelbvieh and one was a Simbrah. Both were delivered by a C-Section and allowed to be cows. We did keep them with their herd mates being feed twice a day to keep them growing and developing. We did sell both when we weaned the calves (did not rebred when giving a chance). That is why I give my weaning heifers a shot of Lut when we get through weaning and seperating them from the bull calves.

Matt

At my friends place, a bull got in and put the 4 month old heifers in calf accidentally of course, and they had small but healthy calves.

Yikes! I think everyone has had a heifer accidentally get bred early, but I'm shocked that someone would continue to show the animal! Tough decision for the judge. Personally I don't think I would have placed it at all. Isn't part of this supposed to be management?

At last year's county fair, I showed a heifer. After I picked her out of my family's herd, I noticed her bag was getting big. She was around 1 year and 4 months when she dropped a nice bull calf. The funny thing about this is she had her calf on Mother's Day, which I find just touching. But I showed her at the fair in the heifer class, the only thing I could show her in. She won Grand Reserve and her calf took a blue. Touching story, eh?

I raise Pinzgauer Cattle and they reach puberty very early. A couple of years ago, we had a 5 month old get bred by accident. She calved just fine, an 80 lb bull calf that weaned off at 700 lbs. We gave her a couple months rest and bred her back, she took the first service and had a heifer. Rebred her and sold this girl and she had twins. Thats 4 calves by the time whe was 3 1/2. :) Here is Nalani at 14 months with her first calf
NalaniPalmerSM.jpg

Nice job on the website moomom, and yeah those pinz sure do mature quick. I knew a pinz breeder who had a 16 yr angus cow that raised a healthy 1/2 pinz calf every yr. I just hope I never have to worry about a calf on that young of a heifer.

I learned my lesson, but it all turned out well, mother grew out just fine. And yes, they produce for many years. My first old cow give us 11 calves before we sold her and then went on to have a couple more for the new folks. Just good hardy, gentle cattle that produce some very tender meat. Thanks for the compliment on the web page, appreciate it.

Latest posts