Young Longhorn bull picture

Help Support CattleToday:

How do you judge a Longhorn. I am not to much of a fan but I would like to know how to judge them. Most other cattle you look for muscling, volume ect. Longhorns don't have that.

Running Arrow Bill":217nmh2v said:
Ryan":217nmh2v said:
SCfarms":217nmh2v said:
How do you judge a longhorn cow or calf or bull? In angus Simmental ect. you look for volume, muscle ect. Longhorns really don't have alot of thickness and rib shape. Do there horns take a major toll in judging. I am not a fan of the whole longhorn thing either but would like to know how to judge them.

Same way. Judging longhorns is, or should be, just like judging any other breed of cattle. Muscle, correctness, sound feet and legs, volumn, capacity, femininity/masculinity, etc... NO emphasis should be placed on the horns or color when they are being judged in the show ring, out in the pasture horns are just a personal preferance.

Ryan

There are different Associations for Longhorns and different show rings among the different associations. Some shows emphasize horns + body; others don't. All one has to do is to look at the various sale catalogs and auction catalogs (some with scores of lots) and see that horns are not in any way neglected from the sales. There is the "Horn Showcase" shows that verifies this.

We should keep a balanced perspective about the type of Longhorns that are selling for high $$, winning at shows, etc. I'm half-way sure the same applies to other breeds as well.

SCFarms asked about Judging, not the high sellers at Longhorn auctions. You should JUDGE them based on how high quality the ANIMAL is (just like Every other breed), and not how much horn they have. Horns have ZERO influence on the production of a calf, and you cannot eat a horn.

I'm half-way sure the same applies to other breeds as well

That applies to no other breed. No other breed puts emphasis on horns.

There is the "Horn Showcase" shows that verifies this.

The "Horn Showcase" does not verify your statement. Plus, the Horn Showcase is not a show, the Horn Showcase is a measuring contest, nothing more. If you really want to know my true feelings on the Horn Showcase feel free to PM me.

Ryan

SCfarms":x0dmj9ek said:
How do you judge a Longhorn. I am not to much of a fan but I would like to know how to judge them. Most other cattle you look for muscling, volume ect. Longhorns don't have that.

Same you way you judge any other cow. But, you might be surprised to see the muscling, capacity, correctness, etc... if you came to a Longhorn show. There many longhorns that would are excellent cows, they just happen to have horns and a pretty paint job.

Ryan

cleav":myao6k9y said:
what would cross good with longhorn to make a good brood cow.

Depends on what kind of longhorn you are looking at, etc... lots of factors. I have a friend that does a lot of crosses with charolais and gets some fantastic calves and cows. Adds a lot of beef with the charolais and adds calving ease with the longhorn. She has some really good longhorns, too.

I think you could cross a lot with longhorns and get some great brood cows.

Ryan

All Longhorn breeders have their own programs. Some shoot for horn, some shoot for body, some shoot for a mixed bag of traits. It is impossible to win a debate with anyone who is 100% committed with their program, in the event one has a different program emphasis.

The same "agree to disagree" concept applies to the breeders who raise different breeds. If we all agreed as to what the "best" breed or "program" was, then all of the cattle would probably look the same.

At the bare minimum, this "agree to disagree" concept is probably ?? why there are main 2 Longhorn associations: ITLA and TLBAA.

I take no issue with anyone's program or breed. It's a free world. Life is too short to argue...

As a Longhorn producer we sell to 3 primary markets: New breeders, established breeders who want some of our LH lineages, and to the commercial cross-breeding ranchers.

Latest posts