young horses

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I'm about to begin taking my two year old to training classes on starting Showmanship. She's not broke to ride yet and I have an older horse who is. Who do you think that I should take the younger or the older? Please Help Me Decide.

[email protected]

depends on what the training is for. if it's to train you, take the older horse, if it's to train the horse, take the younger one. it also depends on what you want. a young horse can learn a tremendous amount just by seeing new things. on the other hand, you will not learn very much with a very young horse, because both of you don't know what's going on. and i think at least one should know what it's about.

[email protected]

If by showmanship classes, you mean classes to teach you how to show a horse at halter, I would be tempted to take the younger one. If she is well halter broke, you will both learn a lot and she will get valuable experience. If you have a good trainer they will have tips on how to handle a nervous horse and they can't show how to do that if everyone brings a dead quiet old pro to the classes. If your young horse is not good at halter take the older one.

> I'm about to begin taking my two
> year old to training classes on
> starting Showmanship. She's not
> broke to ride yet and I have an
> older horse who is. Who do you
> think that I should take the
> younger or the older? Please Help
> Me Decide.

[email protected]

Latest posts