Young Heifers calving - what would you do

Help Support CattleToday:

f4leggin

Reaction score
I have a group (5) of 17-18 month old heifers penned, one is obviously going to calve soon - she's bagged up - none of the others have any sign of a bag. I took the bull out in late January this year. It seems like if they are going to calve, it would be before the end of October. I'm going to keep the bagged up one penned, would you release the others, and watch for signs of bagging up, or keep them all penned for the next month. The pasture they would be released to is about 80 acres. The draw back of having them penned is they don't have shelter from the rain/snow. From a feed stantpoint, it doesn't matter, I don't have much grass left anyway. If I release them and a heifer has a problem calving, and I don't notice her and pen her ahead of time, we are SOL. A few of them look possibly pregnant, and a few don't look pregnant at all. My inclination is to keep them all penned.

The second question: is 18 months old too young to plan to calve? It seems to me it is. Which means I need to come up with a plan for seperating the bull from this years heifer calves until next spring. Last year's bull was a lease so I just sent him home, but we bought a bull this year. Would it be practical to just put him in a pen where he is seperated, but close to the herd - or will he break down the pen to get to them? I know that answer can vary depending on him - but what would the "average" bull do?

Thanks - Jill

f4leggin":12o183zm said:
I have a group (5) of 17-18 month old heifers penned, one is obviously going to calve soon - she's bagged up - none of the others have any sign of a bag.

Actually, out of all the indications of calving - bagging up is the least reliable. Some heifers begin to bag up months before delivery, and some don't bag up until they actually deliver. I believe I would be much more interested in whether or not she is dialating(indicated by a loose, floppy vaginal area), and her pelvic tendons softening(indicated by a sunken tail head).

I'm going to keep the bagged up one penned, would you release the others, and watch for signs of bagging up, or keep them all penned for the next month.

I would not pen them until they are closer to calving. Reason being is that a penned heifer does not have much opportunity to exercise, and that in itself can cause calving problems - either due to the lack of exercise, or the potential for overfeeding leading to a larger calf.

The second question: is 18 months old too young to plan to calve? It seems to me it is.

18 months might be a bit young, but it is ultimately going to depend on the hiefer. If she is a nice, big, growthy heifer, and you have bred her to a heifer type of bull there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks - Jill

Take the guessing out of it and call a vet to come out and palpate them, make good friends with him because it sounds you're going to need him soon anyways.

KNERSIE":1pi5m9a2 said:
Take the guessing out of it and call a vet to come out and palpate them, make good friends with him because it sounds you're going to need him soon anyways.

Yup, what KNERSIE said!

Thanks for the replys. The one who is bagged up has the others signs also. I was surprised to see the bag since all the other heifers have no udder development at all - whereas this one has a bag like a cow.

In horses, palpation in late pregnancy can induce early delivery - I'm assuming this isn't the case with cattle. I'm glad to hear that their age isn't as bad as I had thought. After posting this last night and doing a lot more reading of old posts on this board, I thought of a solution to the bull problem - when I release this year's heifers, I'll put them into an unused pasture I have that will work with some fence work.

Thanks again - I know I sound like an idiot, I certainly feel like one when it comes to my cattle. Obviously I'm still on the steep part of my learning curve. Cattle have been much harder for me to learn than other livestock - so much more left to interpetation and so many more opinions on how it should be done. Besides the fact that where I am "good" friends with my goat and equine vet - the only cattle vet I have used requries I pen (a challenge in it's self), and transport - the driving's not the tricky part - the cattle to him. And then when I'm there, it's a lot of nodding and yupping and not much instruction. Maybe it's because for the most part horses amd goats are mostly managed by women and cattle are still mostly a man's livestock - at least where I live.

Jill

f4leggin":e122tz5x said:
The second question: is 18 months old too young to plan to calve? It seems to me it is. Which means I need to come up with a plan for seperating the bull from this years heifer calves until next spring. Last year's bull was a lease so I just sent him home, but we bought a bull this year. Would it be practical to just put him in a pen where he is seperated, but close to the herd - or will he break down the pen to get to them? I know that answer can vary depending on him - but what would the "average" bull do?

Thanks - Jill
I would say that 18 months is too young to plan on calving. That means she bred about 9 months, which is way too young. It would be practical to pen your bull, unless you do not have a good pen that will contain him.

f4leggin":3gtc00m4 said:
Thanks for the replys. The one who is bagged up has the others signs also. I was surprised to see the bag since all the other heifers have no udder development at all - whereas this one has a bag like a cow.

In horses, palpation in late pregnancy can induce early delivery - I'm assuming this isn't the case with cattle. I'm glad to hear that their age isn't as bad as I had thought. After posting this last night and doing a lot more reading of old posts on this board, I thought of a solution to the bull problem - when I release this year's heifers, I'll put them into an unused pasture I have that will work with some fence work.

Thanks again - I know I sound like an idiot, I certainly feel like one when it comes to my cattle. Obviously I'm still on the steep part of my learning curve. Cattle have been much harder for me to learn than other livestock - so much more left to interpetation and so many more opinions on how it should be done. Besides the fact that where I am "good" friends with my goat and equine vet - the only cattle vet I have used requries I pen (a challenge in it's self), and transport - the driving's not the tricky part - the cattle to him. And then when I'm there, it's a lot of nodding and yupping and not much instruction. Maybe it's because for the most part horses amd goats are mostly managed by women and cattle are still mostly a man's livestock - at least where I live.

Jill

I am usually not nasty when it comes to beginners questions, but after reading this all I'll say is that if I was a cow I would rather be KNERSIE's than f4leggin's.

When it comes to animals in your care ignorance is no excuse.

In horses, palpation in late pregnancy can induce early delivery - I'm assuming this isn't the case with cattle.

A cows anatomy and a horses are wayyy different.

I suggest you estrumate your female calves when you ween from now on.

It does sound like that little heifer is not far off calving at all. Good luck with her and let us know how she goes.
Do you have a plan if you need to pull the calf?

f4leggin definitely separate your bull from your heifers and if you ween at that 9 month age or so then a shot of prostaglandin is a must as your girls seem to mature quite early.
Can your horse vet palpate your cows if not do they know a better bovine vet that you can get out or even a qualified neighbor you would be surprised how many seasoned ranchers that can palpate a cow accurately.

Good luck with your girls and definitely take a proactive approach ,get them checked and have a plan that when she does start to calve you are prepared for anything form pulling the calf to a vet on speed dial for a c section. I hope it all works out for you.

Wow -

This is one of them people that comes on here asking for advice. They get good advice and then go and do the opposite and then moan and complain and cry when crap hits the fan even though you done told em so. That is my pet peeve.

What kind of crap is that? I do take advice that I have gotten - you think I was joking when I said I feel like an idiot? Well congrats - I'm insulted, bummed, and amazed at your rudness - but OTOH - my skin isn't thick enough for the likes of you. Amazed at your rudness - that's all I can say - and you have definitely ruined my evening. I think I'll stick to reading posts from now on. I lack the confidence to take this.

jill

I'm amazed too - you asked for opinions, not criticism. The response you received is very disappointing and offputting.
I hope all goes well for you.

f4leggin, what breed constituancy is the heifer and bull involved in this procreative venture? If the expected calf is 3/4 angus or better, I predict smooth sailing on delivery day. :D

We have had a few mistakes like this. You might have to give her a few extra groceries to help her and her calf along.
I would get them palped and then decide what to do. But I would get them out of the pen. 80 acres is to big for first timers. You might have to string up an electric fence to make a smaller paddock.
Here is the reason why.
Calves are born with zero immunity. When they calve on dirty ground, they can become host to many infections such as navel ill and scours. Navel ill hits fast and furious. Scours, well, they can be a challenge. Because these hiefers are young, the colostrum will be not great. I would get powder colostrum 80-100 immublogulins. It is expensive but will help to get the needed antibodies in the calfs system. Remember timely colostrum, keep and eye on the birthing, do not wait to long.
Some things you should have on hand:
Chains
puller
oxytocin, talk to your vet
LA200
elctrolytes and drench bag
anti infalm
a/d/e/sel for calves
the cow vet on speed dial.
heat lamp for the chilled calf
Prepare now with a way to restrain the cow incase you have to pull the calf...a must...

Good luck with your hiefers.

RR

The herd is angus, I was told the cows were angus when I got them, but they didn't come with papers. The bull last year was registered angus and picked to be easy on heifers. The one who is pregnant is the largest in height and length of the heifers, don't know enough to be sure of her weight. Not keeping them penned makes sense - I have another pasture near by (5 acres) to use but it is smooth wire so I have my work cut out to get electric on it asap so I can move them there.

thx for the advice - jill

TNMasterBeefProducer":a0nym5sh said:
This is one of them people that comes on here asking for advice. They get good advice and then go and do the opposite and then moan and complain and cry when crap hits the fan even though you done told em so. That is my pet peeve.

Do not let this so called PERSON deter you, he is far from being a master beef producer and his knowledge is only mediocre ar best.

hopalong":ylvd4p23 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":ylvd4p23 said:

Do not let this so called PERSON deter you, he is far from being a master beef producer and his knowledge is only mediocre ar best.

Are you insinuating that not every problem can be fixed with a shot of Dex and LA200?

TNMasterBeefProducer":3p4apyzr said:
Apparently so. Seems to me that is what they are insinuating. I got the certificate to prove I am a master beef producer. Been in the cattle business off and on longer than you been alive. So your the one whos knowledge is mediocre at best. You might be aware of the new ways but I have had cattle nearly all my life and I am 60 years old. So when you get my age and have had cattle as long as I have then give me a call. Until then I dont think you are qualified to spout off at the mouth about something you know obviously nothing about. YOU are just a young kid that thinks they know everything and they dont.

I have socks that are older then you are, 60, a youngster!