Young heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Wrencattleco

Reaction score
i have a young heifer. her left side is high and her right side of her stomach is really low. is this normal. she has never looked like this before. wondering if it could be bloat.. any advice

No. This is not "normal" depending on the condition.

Have you changed feed, pasture, hay? Is there something different that could contribute to bloating? Is she pooping regular? When did you notice and how long have you owned her? Exactly how old is "young"?

It would be best if you had a local mentor knowledged in cattle or if you had access to a vet.

There is no way to make any type of absolute determination without see the animal and knowing recent history for her.

You could spend upwards of $300 at a vet and still have a problem animal. That is just something to consider. If she is really young, you could replace her with another that is healthy for less than you spend on this one. AND - after you spend it you still have a problem animal.

she is 8 months. she is one of my show heifers i was gone for a week and a half so she was not fed. im thinking that when i got back and fed her the normal amount that she is used to eating that may have done it. She is brangus and that doesnt usually happen a lot with that breed. but i put her in the trailer and hauled her it seemed to help. im going to continue to walk her when it cools off. she is one of my own off one of my other show heifers.

Thanks =)

if you didn't feed her grain for a week & a half, the bugs all died off. you would have to start over & build her up slowly on grain again. if she is still eating anything, i would just give her grass or hay for a few days till she gets her belly straightened up. then you can start her back on grain. probiotics would probably help.

ok thanks.. i should have known that i just wasnt thinkin. I have never had a brangus bloat before. they usually dont do that.
Thanks for the help =)

Wrencattleco":3njy4r82 said:
ok thanks.. i should have known that i just wasnt thinkin. I have never had a brangus bloat before. they usually dont do that.
Thanks for the help =)

Brangus react just like other cows when given a "buckshot" load of grain after having nothing more than some grazing or some hay for a week. Make a mental note and if she has to go without feed again over an extended period of time, ease her back into the grain feeding program.