Young heifer, small bag, calved today

Help Support CattleToday:

Carnivore

Reaction score
I have done a pretty good job up till now keeping the too young heifers away from the bull. But, I messed up 9 months ago and didn't get the young heifer seperated from the bull, and today, found she had calved. I didn't even know she was pregnant, but she was a little fat. She is all of 14 months old. I mean, who would of thought a 5 month heifer calf would get pregnant by her daddy, a bull weighing probably 1800 pounds. Still don't know how that could have occured, but it obviously did. So, that is the bad news.

The good news, is that the mom and baby seem to be doing fine. But, mom doesn't have much of a bag at all, and that worries me. I discovered her about 9:00 am, and baby was all cleaned up, with mom doting on her. I was worried about the calf not getting any colostrum, so I made up a batch and went to hand feed her. She (baby heifer) wasn't even interested in the bottle, and could not get her to take the bottle. No sign of distress with the calf. So, I left them alone, and a couple hours later, I observed the calf nursing, heard slurping sounds, but could see no evidence of milk. But, everything looked good.

Just now, went out again, and mom and baby were resting, baby sleeping like a newborn. I got them both up and baby seems fine, no distress, and after a few minutes, went back on the bag, (which still looks like there is nothing there for her.

So, what do you all think? Please, no nasty comments about my negligence in letting her get bred, I am kicking myself enough.

I'd sell her as a bottle calf if you plan on keeping the heiferette.
The calf will drag her down more than she already has been. She will have a hard time reaching her full potential size And production as it is

I have one now that is 16 months old with a calf . I usually leave the calf on the cow for about 3 months to help her develop a good bag . Then sell the calf before it starts really pulling the cow down .

Carnivore":286lq3s6 said:
I have done a pretty good job up till now keeping the too young heifers away from the bull. But, I messed up 9 months ago and didn't get the young heifer seperated from the bull, and today, found she had calved. I didn't even know she was pregnant, but she was a little fat. She is all of 14 months old. I mean, who would of thought a 5 month heifer calf would get pregnant by her daddy, a bull weighing probably 1800 pounds. Still don't know how that could have occured, but it obviously did. So, that is the bad news.

The good news, is that the mom and baby seem to be doing fine. But, mom doesn't have much of a bag at all, and that worries me. I discovered her about 9:00 am, and baby was all cleaned up, with mom doting on her. I was worried about the calf not getting any colostrum, so I made up a batch and went to hand feed her. She (baby heifer) wasn't even interested in the bottle, and could not get her to take the bottle. No sign of distress with the calf. So, I left them alone, and a couple hours later, I observed the calf nursing, heard slurping sounds, but could see no evidence of milk. But, everything looked good.

Just now, went out again, and mom and baby were resting, baby sleeping like a newborn. I got them both up and baby seems fine, no distress, and after a few minutes, went back on the bag, (which still looks like there is nothing there for her.

So, what do you all think? Please, no nasty comments about my negligence in letting her get bred, I am kicking myself enough.

Bag size is not indicative of milk production and mothering ability.

If she is in good shape I would run them both

I have several cattle with tiny bags and small tits - they have been raising calves for me for years.

You might be surprized at how she does

Or - yes - you can sell the calf and start over.

Sometimes we make mistakes that turn out alright.

Remember - that calf is only going to drink a couple of litres a day for the first while - bet you she is making more than that.

If it falls apart - separate and sell

Patience is the name of the game

Either way, you win

Regards

Bez

Thanks for the input everyone. Gonna go back out with a warm bottle and see if she wants some bottle fed colustrum, since she has been drying to nurse. Funny thing, I was starting to think about getting her bred, she is still small even for 14 months. I like to give my heifers a full two years before breeding them. Tomorrow picking up some supplemental feed for her, and will segregate them from the herd and pour some extra feed to her to help her keep her energy up.

Had the same thing happen here years back with a 13/14 month heifer. I let her raise it. Calf never pulled her down to any degree and the heifer wasn't stunted from the experience. Turned out to make a real nice cow.
I'd give them both some time. One of my heifers this spring never has made much bag. I don't concern myself over it as a first calfer. Her calf is healthy and just as big as the rest.

fitz

I am not disagreeing with Bez but there's no free lunch.

Somewhere somehow somethings gonna suffer. most likely the calf and the heifer.

Well, calf still didn't want nothin to do with the bottle of warm colustrum, but went and hit momma again for whatever milk she had. Guess they both will have to work at it harder than others. Anyone have an idea of what supplemental feed I can give the momma to help with milk production?

Carnivore":27xw3rn8 said:
Well, calf still didn't want nothin to do with the bottle of warm colustrum, but went and hit momma again for whatever milk she had. Guess they both will have to work at it harder than others. Anyone have an idea of what supplemental feed I can give the momma to help with milk production?
Get a high quality bag of 16% sweet feed and start feeding her but you have to feed enough to make it worth while.

Status update. Went out this morning, and calf was missing. Searched the entire pasture, and eventually found the calf about a hundred yards away from the rest of the herd, (including momma). The rest of the herd was sleeping away from the calf. Wierd.

Anyway, carried the calf back to momma, and they got back together. Then, moved them both to a seperate pasture and put them in a calving pen I made several years ago. Nice to have it. Gave momma some sweet grain and alfalfa along with nice grass in the pen, and the baby worked on the bag all day. Momma looks like she has a little more bag today, and it gets emptied regularly. This evening, last check and calf looked great, was frolicking like only 2 day old calves can do, so it looks like we are gonna make it. Will pour the feed to her for a while, to keep her strength up. Thanks for all the tips everyone. Now, how do I post a picture?

Some cows give smaller amounts of milk but it is very rich . Others give a lot of milk . I've had small heifers not milk real well the first time and the second calf they did fine . It also takes a few days for their milk to come in . Her production my increase . Give her a few weeks and watch her . Don't let the calf pull her down . If it starts to happen sell the calf so you don't miss a calf next year .

Carnivore":23zc6fre said:
Thanks for the input everyone. Gonna go back out with a warm bottle and see if she wants some bottle fed colustrum, since she has been drying to nurse. Funny thing, I was starting to think about getting her bred, she is still small even for 14 months. I like to give my heifers a full two years before breeding them. Tomorrow picking up some supplemental feed for her, and will segregate them from the herd and pour some extra feed to her to help her keep her energy up.

May I ask WHY?

What breed do you raise?

Galloway2":3ia5qvqg said:
Carnivore":3ia5qvqg said:

May I ask WHY?

What breed do you raise?

I do this for a hobby, not to make money. I don't need to produce the maximum number of beef pounds per bail of hay. I just like the heifers to be large as possible, to minimize any birthing issues. My cattle are mixed breed, primarily angus.

Carnivore":zkur61of said:
Galloway2":zkur61of said:
Carnivore":zkur61of said:

May I ask WHY?

What breed do you raise?

I do this for a hobby, not to make money. I don't need to produce the maximum number of beef pounds per bail of hay. I just like the heifers to be large as possible, to minimize any birthing issues. My cattle are mixed breed, primarily angus.

Fair enough, thanks

We had one heifer that was bred to death! No longer leave bull in year round, he gets 60 days..period.
Bought a heifer that we did not know was bred, she calved at 15 months and every 9months and 2 weeks till her daughter above was killed. After that, every year till we sold her at 10 years old.
Valerie

If the calf is wagging her tail when she nurses, it means that she is getting milk.
It is not uncommon for a cow to hide her calf in tall grass or under a bush while she grazes.
Glad that she had the calf OK.

longhornlover3498":2qv4jxnb said:
so how are you supposed to keep a bull away from young heifers when you have to get their mothers bred and they aren't weaned yet? :???:
bulls get 60 day to breed cows PERIOD. That is before heifer calves are old enough to star cycling.
Heifers are born March and April, bull goes out from June 1 to Aug 1.
Heifers born Sept and Oct , bulls go our Dec 1 to Feb1.
Valerie

Latest posts