young floundering calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

MY TALE GOES LIKE THIS;AT 1:30 PM,ON MONDAY JUNE 10TH, MOM CALLED, TWO PEOPLE STOPPED TO TELL HER SHE HAD A CALF OUT ON THE ROAD. "COME HELP" SO I DO. THE CALF IS STANDING STOCK STILL AGAINST THE 4 PLANK FENCE. I PICKED IT UP, SHE NEVER MOVED. I LEFT MY CAR IN THE ROAD, AND HELD HER, OVER THE HILLS TO HER MOM. 7:50 I GET A CALL, "GO GET SOME CALF MILK". I BANG ON THE DOOR AT TRACTOR SUPPLY (THEY HAD JUST CLOSED) AND THIS YOUNG GAL TELLS ME BASICLY WHAT I NEEDED TO KNOW, "GET THE ELECTRO LITE PACKET TOO" SO AT 8:30 I HAVE TO PRY THIS POOR THINGS MOUTH OPEN, ITS SO STUCK, DRY. SHE DRANK 4 PINTS, STRAIGHT DOWN. GREAT! SO WE PUT HER BACK IN WITH HER MOM. NEXT MORNING, THE PHONE RINGS. MOM CANT GET HER TO NURSE, I GO GIVE HER 2 PINTS MORE OF THE "RED KOOL-AID", SHE WONT TAKE ANY MORE. BACK TO THE FIELD SHE GOES, ( ITS AN OPEN VEIW FROM THE HOUSE, 40 FT.AWAY). I GO DO MY APPOINTMENTS AND GO BY TO CHECK ON HER. THE MOMS MOOING, STANDING OVER HER. THE OTHER COWS ARE DRIFTING BY, GOING TO THE HOLLOW. AND I SEE 'lITTLE SIS'(ITS A RED HAIR THING) STRETCHED OUT FLAT ON HER SIDE, CANT BARELY RAISE HER HEAD OFF THE GROUND. SO I REACH THRU THE BOARD FENCE AND START RUBBING HER HARD, TO HELP HER CIRCULATION. SHE GETS UP AND ON PALSEY LIMBS WALKS 20 FT. AND FALLS FLAT ON HER SIDE. SHE STUGGLES UP AND AN ANGUS WANDERS PAST AND STOPS TO SMELL AND CLEAN A BIT. L SIS FLOPS DOWN AT THE ANGUS' FEET, WHO THEN CONTINUES OVER THE HILL. MOMS' STILL THERE, WATCHING MOOING AND GRAZING, SHE COMES TO HER AND WORKS HER OVER W/THE TOUNGE. L SIS JUST CANT GET UP, HER HEAD CURLS ALL THE WAY BACK TO HER SPINE,BUT SHE CANT RAISE HER SHOULDERS ANY MORE. 5 MIN. THE MOM IS STILL MOOING, BUT OUT OF SIGHT OVER THE HILL. I JUMP THE FENCE, AND HAD ONE HARD TIME, TRYING TO PICK HER UP, SHE WOULDNT STOP STRUGGLING HER NECK BACK (75LBS.) I CARRIED HER THOUGH THE FENCE AND GOT THE LAST 2 PINTS DOWN HER. I HAD TO FORCE IT DOWN HER THROAT. SHE WAS SO DEHIDERATED. I WAS TOLD, IF YOU CAN SAVE IT SHE'S YOURS. I WENT HOME THINKING I'D HAVE TO BURY IT IN THE MORNING. I GOT UP AT 4 AM, WENT OVER AT 7:30, HAD TO GIVE HER A BIG RUB DOWN,TO GET HER UP. SHE, BY THIS TIME KNOWS ME, AND FOLLOWS ME DOWN ACROSS THE YARD. SHE ACTUALLY TOOK THE NIPPLE AND DRAINED 3 PINTS, 2 HOURS LATER SHE DRANK 2 MORE. I WALKED HER UP INTO THE FIELD AND SHE FOUND HER A SHADY SPOT BY THE FENCE AND SLEPT THERE, MOVING TO 3 CLOSE SPOTS THRU THE DAY. WONDERFUL! I GO TO CHURCH (WE HAVE A REAL ALIVE CHURCH FAMILY) I GET BACK, IT'S BEEN RAINING. THE POOR THING IS RACKED WITH CHILLS, MY DRESS BECAME HER TENT/TOWEL, AND MY MOM COMES OUT,(WERE BOTH, ME AND SIS, SITTING ON THE GROUND,WET). MOM GOT A TOWEL FROM MY CAR, AND I WRAPPED IT OVER AND AROUND L SIS, STOOD UP AND PUT HER IN MY HUSBANDS CAR, (I HAD IT FOR THE DAY). I EVEN PUT NEWS PAPERS ON THE SEAT (FOR THE CALF'S WARMTH). IT WAS HUMID. I TURNED THE HEAT UP, AIR OFF. HELD HER SHAKING HOOF ALL THE WAY HOME, NEVER REMEMBER THOSE 4 MILES BEING SO SLOW. I WAS AFRAID I'D THROW HER OFF THE SEAT ON THE HILLS. WHEN I GOT HOME SHE HAD LEFT A COUPLE SMALL TOKENS FOR THE MISTER, ON THE SEAT. YES I'VE CLEANED IT. OH, I FORGOT SHE'S GOT PINK EYE IN HER RIGHT EYE, TOO. SO I CALLED THE NEIGHBOR, BLUBBERED A BIT, AND ROUNDED UP NEWS PAPERS FOR THE KITCHEN FLOOR.(SHE MISSED THEM TOO.) NEIGHBOR HELPED ME WITH THE DOORS, SAT WITH ME, THEN, WENT HOME(SHE HAD BEEN IN BED). BY THIS TIME, L SIS'S EYES WERE SEEMING TO SINK INTO HER SKULL. SHE QUIT SHAKING ABOUT 1:30 AM, LEFT SOME NICE DROPPED PACKAGES, TURNED THE FLOOR INTO A MAJOR PUDDLE, AND STILL, COULDNT STAY ON HER FEET BALANCED.I SAT WITH HER HEAD ON MY SHOULDER, TAKING THE WEIGHT, SO SHE COULD BALANCE ON HER FEET. STILL WOULDNT TAKE LIQUID. HUBBY CAME IN, AND WE WENT IN THE YARD AND EMPTIED OUT THE SHED, BABY PROOFED IT. I GO TO GET HER, SHE'S IN ANOTHER LAKE, FLAT ON HER SIDE BACK LEGS SMEARED. CLEAN-UP #3, AND HER, HAD TO MAKE SURE SHE WAS DRY. PACKED HER OUT TO THE SHED, POSITIVE IT WAS A GOOD BYE. I STAYED UP WAITING ON THE STORE TO OPEN AGAIN,(HER BOWELS WERE GETTING SOFTER,NOT LIQUID). GOT SOME MORE ELECTRO-LITE STUFF AND FOUND A BOTTLE WITH AN 18" TUBE! NEVER HEARD OF, NOR SEEN ONE, READ THE DIRECTIONS AND GRABBED IT. CHRIST IS MY COMPANION, WE TALK, WELL I DO. SO VETS IS ON THE WAY, I STOPPED, TOLD ALL, HE SAID THATS ABOUT ALL YOU COULD DO. SAID HE'D GET SCOURS BAD, IF NOT ENOUGH FIRST MILK FROM ITS MOTHER.???????? I GET HOME, HER LEGS ARE GETTING STIFF, SHE HADNT STOOD IN 9 HOURS, I WISH I COULD HAVE GOT THE SAME RUB SHE GOT, I MEAN I WAS TIRED. I HAD RECIEVED 2 NEEDLES WITH 3CC OF ANTIBIOTIC ONE FOR TODAY AND ONE FOR SUN. FROM THE VET , HE ALSO GAVE ME 6CC OF A B COMPLEX????????????? FOR TODAY. I HEMMED AND HAWED AROUND, FINALLY STUCK HER WITH THE NEEDLES( MY FIRST STICKING ANYONE!) TRIED THE BOTTLE TWICE MORE, SHE WOULDN'T EVEN TRY, THEN FILLED THE STOMACH BOTTLE. YEP, I'VE TRIED TO KEEP IT ALL STERILE, EVEN THE KITCHEN FLOOR!

I WOULD NOT ADVIZE ANY ONE TO DO THIS ON A ACTIVE CALF,BUT FROM MY SCRUTINY OF THE PICTURE(IT WASN'T CLEAR) AND THE DIRECTIONS, THEY WERE PERFECTLY CLEAR, I SET ABOUT PUTTING THIS 18 INCH LONG, 1/2 INCH ROUND TUBE, DOWN L SIS'S THROAT. SHE, WEDGED BETWEEN MY LEGS, HEAD FORWARD, BACKSIDE,LISTING BACK AND FORTH. THE THING THAT I WAS MOST AFRAID OF WAS THAT SHE'D FALL AND REDIRECT THE TUBE. THE DIRECTIONS WERE SPACIFIC, THE TUBE MUST FOLLOW DOWN THE LEFT SIDE OF THE NECK. OTHERWISE IT COULD GO IN HER LUNGS AND DROWN HER!!!!!!! I NEVER TAKE SUCH RISKS!!!!!!!! I WAS PRAYING FOR GUIDANCE!!!!!!!!!! LIKE I NEVER HAVE.! AND THEN SHE FELL, IT WAS IN , UP TO HER LIPS, AND THE BOTTLE WAS DRAINING IN.! AND SHE TRIED TO SWALLOW, THEN JUST LAYED THERE, BREATHING, IN AND OUT, SO CALMLY. NICE AND SLOW DRAIN, SHE DIDN'T BRING ANY UP. I HAVE NEVER PRAYED FOR AN ANIMAL. SEEMS SO PETTY, WITH SO MANY DIEING IN THIS WORLD, BUT I DID. 6 HOURS AGO MY SON CAME IN TO TELL ME SHE WAS ON HER FEET, STANDING SWAYING, BUT NOT FALLING. I'VE BEEN OUT WITH HER TILL 2 HOURS AGO. SHE STAYED ON HER FEET THRU DETERMINATION, CAUSE EVERY TIME SHE SHIFTED HER FEET, SHE STUMBLED BACK INTO BALANCE. I HAVE NEVER FELT SUCH A CLOSENESS WITH AN ANIMAL BEFORE!!!!!! SHE'S CURLED UP ON HER FEET, HEAD TUCKED INTO HER SIDE, BREATHING SO SWEETLY.

SO FROM ALL THIS I HAVE A FEW QUESTIONS. WILL B VITAMINS CAUSE TWITCHING ENOUGH TO CAUSE HER TO SPASIM? OR COULD IT BE SHE JUST KICKED HER HIND LEG FORWARD TOO FAST BECAUSE OF AN ITCH, CAUSING HER TO COLLAPSE ON HER TAIL BONE.? ABOUT 8 HOURS AFTER THE B SHOT, IT SEEMED BOTH HAPPENED AT ONCE. ALSO WILL TABLE SALT CURE PINK EYE.? ALSO ABOUT THE COLOSTRUM, HOW CAN I TELL HOW OLD SHE IS.? WHEN I FIRST PICKED HER UP, HER NAVEL CORD WAS A VERY DARK RED, LIKE BEEF JERKY COLORED. I'M ASSUMING SINCE SHE HASN'T HAD THE RUNNS YET, THAT SHE MUST HAVE NURSED AT LEAST HALF A DAY, BECAUSE HER MOMS UDDER LOOKED TOO FULL, AS IF IT HAD BEEN EMPTIED SOME, THEN BECAME ENGORGED

'

[email protected]

Whew! What a time you've had!

OK, first request. I find it very hard to read a post that's all capitals. Maybe it's just me?? But, you did write a thorough and good story.

IF the calf got colostrum from its mother in the first few hours after being born, it will have a big head start in this world. If it did not, then it may have some problems with catching infections more easily. The colostrum contains antibodies that help stimulate the calf's immune system and help protect it from disease. Calves that don't get colostrum within the first 12 hours (preferably sooner) often are problem calves that catch infections more often.

As for salt curing pinkeye, that's an old fashioned treatment. The injectable antibiotic you are giving the calf should work for the pinkeye. Give your vet a call and ask if the shots will work for the pinkeye. He can tell you.

I don't think the B12 injection caused any of the problems you are seeing.

My guess is that everything you are seeing is due to dehydration and stress on the calf. The sunken eyes, dry mouth, inability to stand are all probably caused by dehydration. Young calves dehydrate very, very rapidly.

The best thing you can do for the calf is to keep it hydrated. Feed milk or the best quality milk replacer you can buy. If the calf is able to nurse from a bottle, then feed it with the bottle. If the calf CAN't nurse (notice I said CAN'T) then tube feed it until it is strong enough to nurse from a bottle. This may take several days or more.

Feed the calf 2 quarts of milk or milk replacer twice a day, for a total of 1 gallon fed per day. Or, you can divide that same gallon into 3 feedings, which means you would feed about 1 1/3 quarts three times per day.

Your calf could probably use some electrolytes as well, for two or three days. Ask your vet which electrolyte mixture would be best to give the calf. There are several different combinations of electrolytes, and "too much of a good thing" can be harmful, even though electrolytes can be lifesaving.

You might want to feed 2 quarts of milk or milk replacer in the morning, then a batch of electrolytes about 6 hours later, then the second feeding of milk or milk replacer about 6 hours after that. If you feed the electrolytes at the same time as the milk or milk replacer, you can interfere with the formation of the cud in the calf's stomach and she will have runny stools. Allowing a couple of hours between feeding the milk and the electrolyte solution is ok.

However, runny stools that smell very bad can mean infection, so be alert to that.

The reason I highlighted the word CAN'T is because too often people say a calf WON'T nurse, when the simple truth is the calf is too weak to nurse. It needs supportive care until it gets its strength back. Tube feed it until it is strong enough to take a bottle. This could be days to a week or more.

You don't have to keep everything sterile, just clean is good enough. Wash everything with hot, soapy water between feedings and you should be fine. Just wash & rinse everything as you would your family's dishes.

Make sure any clamps on the tube are CLOSED BEFORE you insert the tube into the calf's esophagus. After the tube is in the right place, slowly open the clamp(s) and allow the liquid to run in. BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE TUBE, CLOSE THE CLAMP(S)again, to avoid having any residual liquid escape into the lungs while you are pulling the tube out.

Sometimes rubbing the calf's bottom with a warm, wet cloth to simulate the mother's tongue can be helpful to get it to poop and nurse, but isn't absolutely necessary.

Go to your library or buy a copy of Heather Thomas's book on Raising Beef Cattle. There's a link to a source with the complete title on my website's links page.

<A HREF="http://www.murraygrey.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.murraygrey.com</A>

Good luck with your calf. Sounds like you've done a great job so far.

> MY TALE GOES LIKE THIS;AT 1:30
> PM,ON MONDAY JUNE 10TH, MOM
> CALLED, TWO PEOPLE STOPPED TO TELL
> HER SHE HAD A CALF OUT ON THE
> ROAD. "COME HELP" SO I
> DO. THE CALF IS STANDING STOCK
> STILL AGAINST THE 4 PLANK FENCE. I
> PICKED IT UP, SHE NEVER MOVED. I
> LEFT MY CAR IN THE ROAD, AND HELD
> HER, OVER THE HILLS TO HER MOM.
> 7:50 I GET A CALL, "GO GET
> SOME CALF MILK". I BANG ON
> THE DOOR AT TRACTOR SUPPLY (THEY
> HAD JUST CLOSED) AND THIS YOUNG
> GAL TELLS ME BASICLY WHAT I NEEDED
> TO KNOW, "GET THE ELECTRO
> LITE PACKET TOO" SO AT 8:30 I
> HAVE TO PRY THIS POOR THINGS MOUTH
> OPEN, ITS SO STUCK, DRY. SHE DRANK
> 4 PINTS, STRAIGHT DOWN. GREAT! SO
> WE PUT HER BACK IN WITH HER MOM.
> NEXT MORNING, THE PHONE RINGS. MOM
> CANT GET HER TO NURSE, I GO GIVE
> HER 2 PINTS MORE OF THE "RED
> KOOL-AID", SHE WONT TAKE ANY
> MORE. BACK TO THE FIELD SHE GOES,
> ( ITS AN OPEN VEIW FROM THE HOUSE,
> 40 FT.AWAY). I GO DO MY
> APPOINTMENTS AND GO BY TO CHECK ON
> HER. THE MOMS MOOING, STANDING
> OVER HER. THE OTHER COWS ARE
> DRIFTING BY, GOING TO THE HOLLOW.
> AND I SEE 'lITTLE SIS'(ITS A RED
> HAIR THING) STRETCHED OUT FLAT ON
> HER SIDE, CANT BARELY RAISE HER
> HEAD OFF THE GROUND. SO I REACH
> THRU THE BOARD FENCE AND START
> RUBBING HER HARD, TO HELP HER
> CIRCULATION. SHE GETS UP AND ON
> PALSEY LIMBS WALKS 20 FT. AND
> FALLS FLAT ON HER SIDE. SHE
> STUGGLES UP AND AN ANGUS WANDERS
> PAST AND STOPS TO SMELL AND CLEAN
> A BIT. L SIS FLOPS DOWN AT THE
> ANGUS' FEET, WHO THEN CONTINUES
> OVER THE HILL. MOMS' STILL THERE,
> WATCHING MOOING AND GRAZING, SHE
> COMES TO HER AND WORKS HER OVER
> W/THE TOUNGE. L SIS JUST CANT GET
> UP, HER HEAD CURLS ALL THE WAY
> BACK TO HER SPINE,BUT SHE CANT
> RAISE HER SHOULDERS ANY MORE. 5
> MIN. THE MOM IS STILL MOOING, BUT
> OUT OF SIGHT OVER THE HILL. I JUMP
> THE FENCE, AND HAD ONE HARD TIME,
> TRYING TO PICK HER UP, SHE WOULDNT
> STOP STRUGGLING HER NECK BACK
> (75LBS.) I CARRIED HER THOUGH THE
> FENCE AND GOT THE LAST 2 PINTS
> DOWN HER. I HAD TO FORCE IT DOWN
> HER THROAT. SHE WAS SO
> DEHIDERATED. I WAS TOLD, IF YOU
> CAN SAVE IT SHE'S YOURS. I WENT
> HOME THINKING I'D HAVE TO BURY IT
> IN THE MORNING. I GOT UP AT 4 AM,
> WENT OVER AT 7:30, HAD TO GIVE HER
> A BIG RUB DOWN,TO GET HER UP. SHE,
> BY THIS TIME KNOWS ME, AND FOLLOWS
> ME DOWN ACROSS THE YARD. SHE
> ACTUALLY TOOK THE NIPPLE AND
> DRAINED 3 PINTS, 2 HOURS LATER SHE
> DRANK 2 MORE. I WALKED HER UP INTO
> THE FIELD AND SHE FOUND HER A
> SHADY SPOT BY THE FENCE AND SLEPT
> THERE, MOVING TO 3 CLOSE SPOTS
> THRU THE DAY. WONDERFUL! I GO TO
> CHURCH (WE HAVE A REAL ALIVE
> CHURCH FAMILY) I GET BACK, IT'S
> BEEN RAINING. THE POOR THING IS
> RACKED WITH CHILLS, MY DRESS
> BECAME HER TENT/TOWEL, AND MY MOM
> COMES OUT,(WERE BOTH, ME AND SIS,
> SITTING ON THE GROUND,WET). MOM
> GOT A TOWEL FROM MY CAR, AND I
> WRAPPED IT OVER AND AROUND L SIS,
> STOOD UP AND PUT HER IN MY
> HUSBANDS CAR, (I HAD IT FOR THE
> DAY). I EVEN PUT NEWS PAPERS ON
> THE SEAT (FOR THE CALF'S WARMTH).
> IT WAS HUMID. I TURNED THE HEAT
> UP, AIR OFF. HELD HER SHAKING HOOF
> ALL THE WAY HOME, NEVER REMEMBER
> THOSE 4 MILES BEING SO SLOW. I WAS
> AFRAID I'D THROW HER OFF THE SEAT
> ON THE HILLS. WHEN I GOT HOME SHE
> HAD LEFT A COUPLE SMALL TOKENS FOR
> THE MISTER, ON THE SEAT. YES I'VE
> CLEANED IT. OH, I FORGOT SHE'S GOT
> PINK EYE IN HER RIGHT EYE, TOO. SO
> I CALLED THE NEIGHBOR, BLUBBERED A
> BIT, AND ROUNDED UP NEWS PAPERS
> FOR THE KITCHEN FLOOR.(SHE MISSED
> THEM TOO.) NEIGHBOR HELPED ME WITH
> THE DOORS, SAT WITH ME, THEN, WENT
> HOME(SHE HAD BEEN IN BED). BY THIS
> TIME, L SIS'S EYES WERE SEEMING TO
> SINK INTO HER SKULL. SHE QUIT
> SHAKING ABOUT 1:30 AM, LEFT SOME
> NICE DROPPED PACKAGES, TURNED THE
> FLOOR INTO A MAJOR PUDDLE, AND
> STILL, COULDNT STAY ON HER FEET
> BALANCED.I SAT WITH HER HEAD ON MY
> SHOULDER, TAKING THE WEIGHT, SO
> SHE COULD BALANCE ON HER FEET.
> STILL WOULDNT TAKE LIQUID. HUBBY
> CAME IN, AND WE WENT IN THE YARD
> AND EMPTIED OUT THE SHED, BABY
> PROOFED IT. I GO TO GET HER, SHE'S
> IN ANOTHER LAKE, FLAT ON HER SIDE
> BACK LEGS SMEARED. CLEAN-UP #3,
> AND HER, HAD TO MAKE SURE SHE WAS
> DRY. PACKED HER OUT TO THE SHED,
> POSITIVE IT WAS A GOOD BYE. I
> STAYED UP WAITING ON THE STORE TO
> OPEN AGAIN,(HER BOWELS WERE
> GETTING SOFTER,NOT LIQUID). GOT
> SOME MORE ELECTRO-LITE STUFF AND
> FOUND A BOTTLE WITH AN 18"
> TUBE! NEVER HEARD OF, NOR SEEN
> ONE, READ THE DIRECTIONS AND
> GRABBED IT. CHRIST IS MY
> COMPANION, WE TALK, WELL I DO. SO
> VETS IS ON THE WAY, I STOPPED,
> TOLD ALL, HE SAID THATS ABOUT ALL
> YOU COULD DO. SAID HE'D GET SCOURS
> BAD, IF NOT ENOUGH FIRST MILK FROM
> ITS MOTHER.???????? I GET HOME,
> HER LEGS ARE GETTING STIFF, SHE
> HADNT STOOD IN 9 HOURS, I WISH I
> COULD HAVE GOT THE SAME RUB SHE
> GOT, I MEAN I WAS TIRED. I HAD
> RECIEVED 2 NEEDLES WITH 3CC OF
> ANTIBIOTIC ONE FOR TODAY AND ONE
> FOR SUN. FROM THE VET , HE ALSO
> GAVE ME 6CC OF A B
> COMPLEX????????????? FOR TODAY. I
> HEMMED AND HAWED AROUND, FINALLY
> STUCK HER WITH THE NEEDLES( MY
> FIRST STICKING ANYONE!) TRIED THE
> BOTTLE TWICE MORE, SHE WOULDN'T
> EVEN TRY, THEN FILLED THE STOMACH
> BOTTLE. YEP, I'VE TRIED TO KEEP IT
> ALL STERILE, EVEN THE KITCHEN
> FLOOR!

> I WOULD NOT ADVIZE ANY ONE TO DO
> THIS ON A ACTIVE CALF,BUT FROM MY
> SCRUTINY OF THE PICTURE(IT WASN'T
> CLEAR) AND THE DIRECTIONS, THEY
> WERE PERFECTLY CLEAR, I SET ABOUT
> PUTTING THIS 18 INCH LONG, 1/2
> INCH ROUND TUBE, DOWN L SIS'S
> THROAT. SHE, WEDGED BETWEEN MY
> LEGS, HEAD FORWARD,
> BACKSIDE,LISTING BACK AND FORTH.
> THE THING THAT I WAS MOST AFRAID
> OF WAS THAT SHE'D FALL AND
> REDIRECT THE TUBE. THE DIRECTIONS
> WERE SPACIFIC, THE TUBE MUST
> FOLLOW DOWN THE LEFT SIDE OF THE
> NECK. OTHERWISE IT COULD GO IN HER
> LUNGS AND DROWN HER!!!!!!! I NEVER
> TAKE SUCH RISKS!!!!!!!! I WAS
> PRAYING FOR GUIDANCE!!!!!!!!!!
> LIKE I NEVER HAVE.! AND THEN SHE
> FELL, IT WAS IN , UP TO HER LIPS,
> AND THE BOTTLE WAS DRAINING IN.!
> AND SHE TRIED TO SWALLOW, THEN
> JUST LAYED THERE, BREATHING, IN
> AND OUT, SO CALMLY. NICE AND SLOW
> DRAIN, SHE DIDN'T BRING ANY UP. I
> HAVE NEVER PRAYED FOR AN ANIMAL.
> SEEMS SO PETTY, WITH SO MANY
> DIEING IN THIS WORLD, BUT I DID. 6
> HOURS AGO MY SON CAME IN TO TELL
> ME SHE WAS ON HER FEET, STANDING
> SWAYING, BUT NOT FALLING. I'VE
> BEEN OUT WITH HER TILL 2 HOURS
> AGO. SHE STAYED ON HER FEET THRU
> DETERMINATION, CAUSE EVERY TIME
> SHE SHIFTED HER FEET, SHE STUMBLED
> BACK INTO BALANCE. I HAVE NEVER
> FELT SUCH A CLOSENESS WITH AN
> ANIMAL BEFORE!!!!!! SHE'S CURLED
> UP ON HER FEET, HEAD TUCKED INTO
> HER SIDE, BREATHING SO SWEETLY.

> SO FROM ALL THIS I HAVE A FEW
> QUESTIONS. WILL B VITAMINS CAUSE
> TWITCHING ENOUGH TO CAUSE HER TO
> SPASIM? OR COULD IT BE SHE JUST
> KICKED HER HIND LEG FORWARD TOO
> FAST BECAUSE OF AN ITCH, CAUSING
> HER TO COLLAPSE ON HER TAIL BONE.?
> ABOUT 8 HOURS AFTER THE B SHOT, IT
> SEEMED BOTH HAPPENED AT ONCE. ALSO
> WILL TABLE SALT CURE PINK EYE.?
> ALSO ABOUT THE COLOSTRUM, HOW CAN
> I TELL HOW OLD SHE IS.? WHEN I
> FIRST PICKED HER UP, HER NAVEL
> CORD WAS A VERY DARK RED, LIKE
> BEEF JERKY COLORED. I'M ASSUMING
> SINCE SHE HASN'T HAD THE RUNNS
> YET, THAT SHE MUST HAVE NURSED AT
> LEAST HALF A DAY, BECAUSE HER MOMS
> UDDER LOOKED TOO FULL, AS IF IT
> HAD BEEN EMPTIED SOME, THEN BECAME
> ENGORGED

> '

The only thing I would add is, don't keep the calf too warm, i.e. artificle heat. Keep it dry and out of drafts. If it is really chilled extra heat is ok, but too warm is just as bad as too cold. Ditto on the Caps.

dunmovin farms

> Whew! What a time you've had!

> OK, first request. I find it very
> hard to read a post that's all
> capitals. Maybe it's just me??
> But, you did write a thorough and
> good story.

> IF the calf got colostrum from its
> mother in the first few hours
> after being born, it will have a
> big head start in this world. If
> it did not, then it may have some
> problems with catching infections
> more easily. The colostrum
> contains antibodies that help
> stimulate the calf's immune system
> and help protect it from disease.
> Calves that don't get colostrum
> within the first 12 hours
> (preferably sooner) often are
> problem calves that catch
> infections more often.

> As for salt curing pinkeye, that's
> an old fashioned treatment. The
> injectable antibiotic you are
> giving the calf should work for
> the pinkeye. Give your vet a call
> and ask if the shots will work for
> the pinkeye. He can tell you.

> I don't think the B12 injection
> caused any of the problems you are
> seeing.

> My guess is that everything you
> are seeing is due to dehydration
> and stress on the calf. The sunken
> eyes, dry mouth, inability to
> stand are all probably caused by
> dehydration. Young calves
> dehydrate very, very rapidly.

> The best thing you can do for the
> calf is to keep it hydrated. Feed
> milk or the best quality milk
> replacer you can buy. If the calf
> is able to nurse from a bottle,
> then feed it with the bottle. If
> the calf CAN't nurse (notice I
> said CAN'T) then tube feed it
> until it is strong enough to nurse
> from a bottle. This may take
> several days or more.

> Feed the calf 2 quarts of milk or
> milk replacer twice a day, for a
> total of 1 gallon fed per day. Or,
> you can divide that same gallon
> into 3 feedings, which means you
> would feed about 1 1/3 quarts
> three times per day.

> Your calf could probably use some
> electrolytes as well, for two or
> three days. Ask your vet which
> electrolyte mixture would be best
> to give the calf. There are
> several different combinations of
> electrolytes, and "too much
> of a good thing" can be
> harmful, even though electrolytes
> can be lifesaving.

> You might want to feed 2 quarts of
> milk or milk replacer in the
> morning, then a batch of
> electrolytes about 6 hours later,
> then the second feeding of milk or
> milk replacer about 6 hours after
> that. If you feed the electrolytes
> at the same time as the milk or
> milk replacer, you can interfere
> with the formation of the cud in
> the calf's stomach and she will
> have runny stools. Allowing a
> couple of hours between feeding
> the milk and the electrolyte
> solution is ok.

> However, runny stools that smell
> very bad can mean infection, so be
> alert to that.

> The reason I highlighted the word
> CAN'T is because too often people
> say a calf WON'T nurse, when the
> simple truth is the calf is too
> weak to nurse. It needs supportive
> care until it gets its strength
> back. Tube feed it until it is
> strong enough to take a bottle.
> This could be days to a week or
> more.

> You don't have to keep everything
> sterile, just clean is good
> enough. Wash everything with hot,
> soapy water between feedings and
> you should be fine. Just wash
> & rinse everything as you
> would your family's dishes.

> Make sure any clamps on the tube
> are CLOSED BEFORE you insert the
> tube into the calf's esophagus.
> After the tube is in the right
> place, slowly open the clamp(s)
> and allow the liquid to run in.
> BEFORE YOU REMOVE THE TUBE, CLOSE
> THE CLAMP(S)again, to avoid having
> any residual liquid escape into
> the lungs while you are pulling
> the tube out.

> Sometimes rubbing the calf's
> bottom with a warm, wet cloth to
> simulate the mother's tongue can
> be helpful to get it to poop and
> nurse, but isn't absolutely
> necessary.

> Go to your library or buy a copy
> of Heather Thomas's book on
> Raising Beef Cattle. There's a
> link to a source with the complete
> title on my website's links page.

> <A HREF="http://www.murraygrey.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.murraygrey.com</A> Good
> luck with your calf. Sounds like
> you've done a great job so far.

Latest posts