Young Dexter Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

wstevenl

Reaction score
I'm going to try and upload my first photo.
This is our 14 month old Dexter Bull, Shome Braeburn. He's really short (of course) but he's been doing his job for the last few months. I think he's filling out well considering that Dexters are supposed to be a beef/dairy breed and he's never had any grain. He's dun and polled. What do you think of him as a young bull in general... how is his conformation?
braeburn.jpg

wstevenl":32ouodz4 said:
I'm going to try and upload my first photo.
This is our 14 month old Dexter Bull, Shome Braeburn. He's really short (of course) but she's been doing his job for the last few months. I think he's filling out well considering that Dexters are supposed to be a beef/dairy breed and he's never had any grain. He's dun and polled. What do you think of him as a young bull in general... how is his conformation?
braeburn.jpg

I always love it when someone puts up a bull and invites others to take them to task. :D

Your quote gave me a chuckle - but she's been doing his job - Aren't typos wonderful?

I will start in.

This is a nice young bull that has - as do all, a few flaws - all minor in my opinion - personally I think you can be happy with him.

I could list them - but as I stated in the other bull thread - I can also tear my own apart. His worst flaw to me is somewhat light in the back with heavy front end - but that may clear up with maturity. Plus he is a young guy who has been breeding - so I am prepared to wait for him to grow some more.

I have one bull I kept threatening to sell but my boss would not let me - turns out she was right - the bull needed another year of growth. So be patient.

Hint - Looking at bulls think - Nuts, Butts and Guts.

I also think he will change dramatically in the next three years as he matures and fills out. Good shape now - but how many cows?

Now - go and do a real search on this site and look at every bull pic you can find and then you will understand why I said what I said.

He is a Dexter - never seen one this colour that I can think of - but I personally think he's pretty decent. And he will mature nicely - and bring his body into good balance if all goes well.

There you go - two fairly young bulls in the past two days that I think show reasonably well. I think we are going for a record. :D

Next time get some better pics and show us all sides - plus a straight on from the front and a straight on from the back.

The proof is in the product though. Let's see the calves and the cows.

I would really like a pic of this bulls' mother as well.

Regards

Bez+

Edited for grammar because novatech is picking on me! :cry2:

I pretty much agree with Bez on his opinion. From the pic he does not look very thick especially HER butt.
I especially agree with the typos,
look at very bull pic you can find
:lol2:
I know, I have no room to be talking about typos. :dunce:

Here is his mom.
He's probably only bred 2 or 3 cows so far, but my point was only that he's able too, not that he's lost condition doing so.
I don't have a rear shot, but he's definitely not wide in the butt, maybe that could improve some with time too. He's neck is getting real thick and masculine looking.
Here's his dam with him as a calf.
Braeburn2.jpg

Here's his dame.
braeburn3.jpg

Here's his front side, I know it isn't exactly straight on.
braeburn4.jpg

I like him overall as stated he does have some minor flaws. I don't think his back end is going to fill out just too much b/c he is a beef AND dairy breed, and most/all dairy breeds have no rear end....

I think that's as good as any of the Dexter bulls I've seen and far better the most of them.

Thanks for the comments. I'm looking forward to seeing how he looks next year, and how his calves turn out.
By the way, Dexters come in Black, Dun, and Red. This one and his dam are dark duns.
I've got pictures of some of the cows and pasture on our photo album at http://www.franciscanfamilyfarms.com/

Latest posts