Young Cows with Bad Utters

Help Support CattleToday:

Newmex2010

Reaction score
I have had some younger cows in the last few years develop bad front quarters or front halves in their bags. In the summer months the cows are ran on cosho weeds and grass. I am wondering what could be causing this in these young to mid age cows.

Thanks

Newmex2010":2mjzrj47 said:
I have had some younger cows in the last few years develop bad front quarters or front halves in their bags. In the summer months the cows are ran on cosho weeds and grass. I am wondering what could be causing this in these young to mid age cows.

Thanks
Are you saying the teat is getting long or both front quarters are getting long. Unless a cow has had mastitis a poor under is more often than not "genetic".

i have two cow's that we raised and one has xlarge teats in the front and their mothers didnt have anything like these two. we have kept them and everything has worked out so far. after a couple weeks the calves do get on those big teats and we havent had any problems yet. xcrossing fingers

snickers":170in928 said:
i have two cow's that we raised and one has xlarge teats in the front and their mothers didnt have anything like these two. we have kept them and everything has worked out so far. after a couple weeks the calves do get on those big teats and we havent had any problems yet. xcrossing fingers
The cow is only half of the equation. The bull has as much affect on improving or screwing up udders as the cow does

None of these cows have had any issues with large teats. Their front quarter(in some instances) or front half of the utter is not giving as much milk as the back half of the utter.

TexasBred":1grs76p0 said:
Newmex2010":1grs76p0 said:

Thanks
Are you saying the teat is getting long or both front quarters are getting long. Unless a cow has had mastitis a poor under is more often than not "genetic".

I have to agree with TB. I have never heard of environment causing what you describe.

Agree with dun. If you not very careful about bull selection, you can lose ground on a good set of cows very quick. A high producing, fully functional cow must be used as the basis for keeping a bull calf to develop. I have seen guys recommend a calf would make a good bull, even after looking at the dam, whose udder was a train wreck. No way in my books.

WHen I say that part of the utter is gone bad. I mean that a teat or both of the front teats are drying up and not giving as much milk if any.

Thanks

Newmex2010":26xke56s said:
WHen I say that part of the utter is gone bad. I mean that a teat or both of the front teats are drying up and not giving as much milk if any.

Thanks
If it's early in the lactation and they're feeding a calf it could be a number of things. More milk then the calves want, mastitis, genetics, feed/nutrition, fever, and probably a couple of other things that I'm drawing a blank on.

:bday:

We got a new calf on Tuesday during the storm; poor thing nearly froze to death. We brought it to the house and kept it overnight, yes, in the living room in front of the fire place. Fed it, nursed it, and took it back to momma the next morning. Anyway the calf is doing fine but one the cow's front teats is very large. The rest are fine and she seems to be making plenty milk. Should I milk her out and give her a mastitis treatment or just milk her down? I don't see any redness. It really sucks because it will be difficult to get her to the barn due to the frozen sleet.

:?:

MosesR":4mm6yfm3 said:
:bday:

We got a new calf on Tuesday during the storm; poor thing nearly froze to death. We brought it to the house and kept it overnight, yes, in the living room in front of the fire place. Fed it, nursed it, and took it back to momma the next morning. Anyway the calf is doing fine but one the cow's front teats is very large. The rest are fine and she seems to be making plenty milk. Should I milk her out and give her a mastitis treatment or just milk her down? I don't see any redness. It really sucks because it will be difficult to get her to the barn due to the frozen sleet.

:?:
Won;t hurt to milk that one teat out. Won;t really do much other then make you feel better. The calf probably doesn;t need the amount of milk available and that teat may be a little too big for it right now. Unless it's much bigger around then a banana rthe calf will get to it in time.

MosesR":f3y2zhx0 said:
Thanks Dun.

I think I will give it a try. What the heck, maybe it will knock some rust off of the head chute.

:banana:
The cow may knock some rust of you too

:lol:

Ol Shorty aint to fond of me already. She may do just that. Maybe that is what Dad meant when he said "knock some since in ya". After this I might have enough since to leave her alone. Oh well, I need some loosening up!

:D

Dun,
Just like you said, the calf beat me to it. Yesterday morning the teat looked like it was a little smaller so I left her alone. This morning it was obvious that the calf had nursed it down and it looks fine.

Thanks for the advice!

:cboy:

Latest posts