Young cow with swollen nose

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a young cow with a swlloen nose that also has alot of discharge coming from the nose and also swelling under and around the jaw. She has lost weight and is in poor condition. :?:

CALL THE VET

dun

Hunter":34ch1lbq said:
I have a young cow with a swlloen nose that also has alot of discharge coming from the nose and also swelling under and around the jaw. She has lost weight and is in poor condition. :?:

dun":rznbxcer said:
CALL THE VET

dun

Hunter":rznbxcer said:
Thanks for all your help.

Hunter you could begin admistering antibiotics but without a proper diagnosis from a medical professional it's a crapshoot. If you sincerely want to save the calf a vet is your best bet. If you're really watching your pennies and want to give it a shot on your own, go to the feed store and ask them for their best bovine antibiotics. Administer as directed. I use LA200.

I should add that I don't have any cattle vets in my area. It isn't feasible to call one to come from hours away because of the expense I would incur. I treat everything myself. If surgery or something by vet only, tough decision on calling the vet or digging a hole.

D.R. Cattle":h2i8t8et said:
I should add that I don't have any cattle vets in my area. It isn't feasible to call one to come from hours away because of the expense I would incur. I treat everything myself. If surgery or something by vet only, tough decision on calling the vet or digging a hole.
D.R. Cattle, Thank You for the info, as with You we do not have any Vets in the immediate area so I will be headed to the feed store for some La200. Again Thanks!! We'll give it a try.

Please remember, I'm not suggesting that you do that. I'm with Dun I think a vet is the best bet, and I am not a vet. FYI- the feed store may suggest something better than LA200 for respiratory problems, but LA200 does have a dosage guide for pneumonia and has worked well for me in the past. Make sure to only inject 10cc per injection site. Try to inject only in the neck area. Be careful not to inject intraveinously. 16 gauge needles work well for cattle.

A telephone call doesn't cost that much when compared to the value of a cow. While talking to the vet he/she may ask a few questions that will make it much easier to diagnose and with luck take care of the animal. Calling the vet doesn't mean having the vet come out, it means calling, i.e. talking to a vet.

dun

D.R. Cattle":1y2kapg9 said:
Please remember, I'm not suggesting that you do that. I'm with Dun I think a vet is the best bet, and I am not a vet. FYI- the feed store may suggest something better than LA200 for respiratory problems, but LA200 does have a dosage guide for pneumonia and has worked well for me in the past. Make sure to only inject 10cc per injection site. Try to inject only in the neck area. Be careful not to inject intraveinously. 16 gauge needles work well for cattle.

D.R. Cattle":ikv7nhoe said:
I appreciate your comments and thank you for your reply back.

Craig, I was thinking the same thing, could be a snake bite. Around here we have copperheads. Usually get them on the leg though. They have always recovered but have never had one bitten in the head or neck area.

Latest posts