Young colt

Help Support CattleToday:

MurraysMutts

Reaction score
Talk me out of it please!

What am I getting into?
He's 7 months old and weaned over a month.
I'm horse stupid! Can I geld him and expect a learning adventure for the both of us? Is it somewhat easy to halter break? What about breaking to ride?

I'd like a horse to ride on occassion. And a young one that gets to know me along the way seems like a keen idea. And it'll give me time to ease into it and get a saddle, tack, etc...

Thanks guys!

I don't know that the "learning together" approach has much chance of succeeding.
Halter breaking is easy, it will take little time as it typically happens fast.
Do you know of any horsemanship clinics (particularly colt starting clinics) that happen in your area? Another idea would be to send the horse out at 3yrs of age or so for 60 days training, then take some clinics together.

What am I getting into?
I'm horse stupid! Can I geld him and expect a learning adventure for the both of us? Is it somewhat easy to halter break? What about breaking to ride?

I'd like a horse to ride on occassion. And a young one that gets to know me along the way seems like a keen idea. And it'll give me time to ease into it and get a saddle, tack, etc...

Thanks guys!
WHOA!!! What is your equine experience level?
I've trained young yearling Colts that turned out great and I've got into some real knotheads. The best one was dead head broke by two, the worst sent me to the ER.
If your a beginner spend the extra money up front and buy a kid broke/ husband broke middle aged gelding.
Leave the horse breaking to the young guys, or at least the more experienced.

I don't know that the "learning together" approach has much chance of succeeding.
Halter breaking is easy, it will take little time as it typically happens fast.
Do you know of any horsemanship clinics (particularly colt starting clinics) that happen in your area? Another idea would be to send the horse out at 3yrs of age or so for 60 days training, then take some clinics together.
Perhaps this is a terrible idea
WHOA!!! What is your equine experience level?
I've trained young yearling Colts that turned out great and I've got into some real knotheads. The best one was dead head broke by two, the worst sent me to the ER.
If your a beginner spend the extra money up front and buy a kid broke/ husband broke middle aged gelding.
Leave the horse breaking to the young guys, or at least the more experienced.
Yep.

Absolutely NO experience with horses. Never even been on one, aside from that roundy round thing they had horse on at the fair.

U know. The ones where the horses walk in circles all day long

Perhaps this is a terrible idea

Yep.

Absolutely NO experience with horses. Never even been on one, aside from that roundy round thing they had horse on at the fair.

U know. The ones where the horses walk in circles all day long
Don't do it.
I have always liked horses over 4wheelers or utvs. But horses are a full time all the time projects especially young ones.

Murrys Mutts cannot resist baby animals. (Me too. :)

I've had 14 horses so far in my life. The first and best was the one I bought with my babysitting money. She was cowboy broke out of the Circle 7 ranch in Colorado, a 5 year old half thorobred half quarter horse. She had the heart (passion) and skeletal structure of a thorobred racehorse and the mind and muscle of a Quarter horse. We rode over the hills 30 miles to the ocean and back many times. She lived 40 years. I have her bones in a box to be buried with.

ScannedImage008.JPEG

Colts and fillies are charming but you must make them realize, in a nice way, that you are the dominant herd member. As in I pet you, you do not pet me unless I invite you. Then when they are 2 year olds, turn them over to a professional trainer for 60 days. Meanwhile, have the trainer train you how to ride a horse. This is how I made an unbroken Saddlebred colt and a filly into real riding horses.

Miss Denmark racing fit.JPG

Last edited:
This "60 day trainer" thing sounds expensive.

It kind of sounds like I'll feed this critter and maybe get it halter broke over the next year and a half, all the while spoiling it rotten, and then the trainer will hate me fotever!

This "60 day trainer" thing sounds expensive.

It kind of sounds like I'll feed this critter and maybe get it halter broke over the next year and a half, all the while spoiling it rotten, and then the trainer will hate me fotever!
You just nailed it....
DO NOT BUY A 7 MONTH STUD COLT THAT NEEDS TO BE GELDED....
I am saying this as a friend and as a previous horse owner. I was 15 and bought a 1 1/2 yr old filly from my 4-H leader... had been riding for years on anything I could beg a ride on... trained her myself and it was great. I ate dirt many times... and I buried her at 27 yrs old (her age).

NO EXPERIENCE = NO BUYING UNBROKEN YOUNG HORSES.

You have been rationing hay and pasture and turning over cattle for a little profit... I loved my horses... had quite a few... THEY COST MONEY. Make cows look like a money tree growing out back.

Last edited:
Looks like the advice is a unanimous no. When you get the urge to ride, better to go on down to the fair and enjoy the ride and the music. Safer and cheaper for sure. Lots of well trained and good performing horses out there, but many more horses and owners that don't work well together. I hear that they may need to go to the nail salon often and for some of them, the vet needs to be on speed dial. During the training phase, go ahead and dial the 9 and the first 1 before you climb own to save time and effort.

I suspect you are not talked out of it yet. The allure of a project is strong. Just don't go the dressage route - them tight britches and helmet won't be your style. When are you picking him up?

What am I getting into?

Thanks guys!
the less you know about horses, the more your horse should know. If I were you and wanted a hors that you could someday safely and reliably enjoy I'd start out with one that's broke so you can learn. The old "learning together" deal usually doesn't work out like you would like JMHO

What am I getting into?

Thanks guys!
Horses are a luxury. For people with Extra money.... Don't buy a young horse unless you are planning on paying someone to train it for you when it gets to be close to 2.. I've seen to many horses be bought by stary eyed people, only for said horse to end up as a 4-5 year old that tries to run over people and is very hard to handle. And they still aren't broke because the people are to afraid of them. To have them trained. Buy a good broke horse, the extra cost would be worth it in the long run. But only buy a horse if you have Extra Grass, hay and money....

This is one of them things...

I got an extra bull calf and someone that has a lil colt wants a lil bull calf.

Anyone got a nice ol broke horsey they wanna trade for a 210lb bull calf?

Nah.....
It's nice to think about and all. And like @simme and @sstterry Said, I may have watched too many cowboy movies as a kid..

I think I may be over it!
I hope

Murray horses are like guns. Perfectly safe and very dangerous depending on you. If you don't know what your doing find someone who does.
Hmmm, their also fragile like guns. The pretty fancy ones always seem to get hurt. The grade kind seen to be able to jump off a cliff with a stick of dynamite in their mouth, hit the ground, get up and be ready to do it again.

This is one of them things...

I got an extra bull calf and someone that has a lil colt wants a lil bull calf.

Anyone got a nice ol broke horsey they wanna trade for a 210lb bull calf?

Nah.....
It's nice to think about and all. And like @simme and @sstterry Said, I may have watched too many cowboy movies as a kid..

I think I may be over it!
I hope
I have a 20 something year old pony I will trade you. But you have to come get him. Heck, I will give him too you if you pick him up.

Latest posts