Young calves and cold temperatures

Help Support CattleToday:

Cows weren't supposed to start for a few weeks, but of course the first couple came right before the ice storm on Tuesday.
View attachment 2225
View attachment 2226
Was worried about the red cows calf. I hadn't seen it for a couple days, but then found them tonight hunkered down in the woods.
View attachment 2227
Old cows know what to do a long as they have a little cover to work with.
They are in good nick.

Ken

-32 F now.
Cattle are sad.
From North Dakota here, unfortunately, have some experience with this. Are you expecting more soon or just trying to harbor the two-three week old?

If just the one calf, is there is anyway you can provide a bedded shelter with lots of straw (or hay if you don't have it) that the other cows cannot harass the sanctuary it will find that and snuggle in. If you put a pile of straw or hay out there.... Cows will be jerks and take rule of it.

At 2-3 weeks he/she should be tough enough to endure this as long as momma is getting the water and calories she needs. She sounds like she was well conditioned going into this so that's a good base for good milk.

I honestly don't know how you guys up north do it! This is the worse weather I've seen in North Texas. I've got my herd on the south side of the hay barn & I've placed some straw down for the calves. My newest arrived 5 days ago.

Attachments

• 76A30A14-993E-4952-A24F-AA692BEE739E.jpeg
    76A30A14-993E-4952-A24F-AA692BEE739E.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • F179445B-9508-41E3-B991-5FFBD0CCDF7D.jpeg
    F179445B-9508-41E3-B991-5FFBD0CCDF7D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
Looks like a good set up. I would check the bedding every day unless you have a creep area for calves only.
Producers who like winter calving often have barns, some with IR heat, for the first one to two days.
Then the pairs go to a corral where they have deep bedding and fresh air.

Last edited:
Looks like a good set up. I would check the bedding every day unless you have a creep area for calves only.
Producers who like winter calving often have barns, some with IR heat, for the first one to two days.
Then the pairs go to a corral where they have deep bedding.
Thank you. The good news is, all of my cows have now calved. This last one's dam is my lead cow & I was starting to think that she didn't get bred. The Dam is making sure the calf is getting top priority as far as straw & space. I've been going out 4 times a day to clean the straw of manure & spread more straw.

Attachments

• 90BFF37C-120A-4F5C-8C3C-4B83048E260D.jpeg
    90BFF37C-120A-4F5C-8C3C-4B83048E260D.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6
Sounds like you're doing a great job!

April 2018 old man winter over stayed his welcome, we calved in -20-30 degree temps with -40+ wind chill here in North Dakota. That's not normal, If I never live through a spring like that again it will be too soon.

Keep up your good work, stay vigil with those calves so they don't get sick. Hang in there!

I'm in central Texas and our last calf was born 2 weeks ago. I put out hay in the only wind break in the lot on Saturday. I checked on them yesterday. A 3 week old calf was fine, shivering a little but had some ice on her back. The youngest was laid up in the hay but I didn't see any ice on his back. He was not shivering when he got up so I'm guessing they are fine. We got 4" of snow last night and the highs have been in the 20's. Hopefully by Thursday it will warm to above 32. 20-30 mph winds are brutal, though. Wind breaks will be the key. My neighbor removed all of his wind breaks because he wants a nice clean place. Thankfully he calves in October.

Latest posts