young calf losing hair

Help Support CattleToday:

DGA

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post hope someone has an answer to this question. I have a 3 week hiefer calf(chaolais) about a week after birth I noticed a small strip of hair was gone on the top of her shoulder, didn,t give it much thought because she had gotten under a barbed wire fence a day or two prior. But now she has more hair out on her back connecting with her shoulder and around one eye also under her tail. I don't think it is lice or mange because she does no rubbing and the shin is pink and healthy looking not scabby and raw like when lice or mites are the problem. I'm thinking some allergic reaction but don't know what to, please let me know what you'all think on this. thanks DGA KY.

No campgroound its not ringworm and ollie i don't think its fever the calf is eating to good and acts healthy other than the hair loss. Thanks for your input guys I'm going to work my cows if it ever quits raining long enough then I can get ahold of the little gal and maybe get a better look.Any one else got any ideas give me a shout.

Thanks DGA
Irvington Ky.

Although it's the wrong time of year, how about lice?

dun

DGA":22dxdggk said:
No campgroound its not ringworm and ollie i don't think its fever the calf is eating to good and acts healthy other than the hair loss. Thanks for your input guys I'm going to work my cows if it ever quits raining long enough then I can get ahold of the little gal and maybe get a better look.Any one else got any ideas give me a shout.

Thanks DGA
Irvington Ky.

ask your vet to check for a liver disorder that will cause hair to fall out and skin to blister...the animal becomes very sensitive to sunlight...occurs usually on the white portions of the animal and especially around the areas you described..charolais, white face, holsteins... any white portion of the body, not the black.. I know you angus boys will live this...I'm not sure of the name of the disorder I think it is Photo Sensitivity...I bought a heifer recently that had this...made good hamburger...

DRB":1z2oxopp said:
ask your vet to check for a liver disorder that will cause hair to fall out and skin to blister...the animal becomes very sensitive to sunlight...occurs usually on the white portions of the animal and especially around the areas you described..charolais, white face, holsteins... any white portion of the body, not the black.. I know you angus boys will live this...I'm not sure of the name of the disorder I think it is Photo Sensitivity...I bought a heifer recently that had this...made good hamburger...

DRB might be right on this, the English breeds have a genetic disorder that cause hairloss, more common in Herefords.

DRB":1l2hyjjz said:

Sounds like hemataprotoporphyria, in humans severe 3rd degree burns occur from general sun light. This is the genetic variation that is responsible for the legends of vampires.

I had the same problem with one of my calves last year and as a matter of fact noticed it on my newest one (about 2 weeks old) tonight. On this one all the hair on its rump and under it's tail has fallen off. Only thought I had on the one last year was as Dun suggested maybe lice. I poured a small dose of Ivermectin on him and within just a few weeks new hair was growing back in. Looked completely normal at sale time.

jgn":plbr8fpw said:
noticed it on my newest one (about 2 weeks old) tonight. On this one all the hair on its rump and under it's tail has fallen off.

Are you sure it didn't get scalded from scours?

Not sure of it but I make point to check all the newborns every night and hadn't noticed any scours on his back end at any time that I saw him. Do you think he may have and momma was cleaning him off before I saw it?

jgn":ucxhkfwp said:
Not sure of it but I make point to check all the newborns every night and hadn't noticed any scours on his back end at any time that I saw him. Do you think he may have and momma was cleaning him off before I saw it?

Not sure. The only times I've seen the hair come off under the tail / on the rump they had scours. Or maybe her milk was just toooooooo rich?

Latest posts