young calf, hypothermia..bad cow..got a gun?

Help Support CattleToday:

rockridgecattle

Reaction score
boy do i have a midnight to 4am drama for you

It started out my check. Flash light out trying to find the cow going nuts...bellering "DANGER, DANGER WILL ROBINSON DANGER" up a storm. She is a three year old 2nd time calver. She had a calf. Things looked alright, calf looked a little chilled. So I called my husband after his one hour sleep. I went to the barn to see if the others were okay..just outside the barn close to calving. I had to wait for hubby to get there because the cow was well, alittle high strung.
Found another calf born in front of the barn area. In that area were 4 cows with calves. One 3 hours old. the three hour ols calf thought any momma was hers and proceded to take part of the buffet.
The new calf was just getting a cleaning. I wanted to get that one in the barn to ease the confusion. But there were so many legs and animals this was not a job for me alone. Got pens ready, started the generator, cow still bellering. Hubby arrives, asseses first calf of nut momma in no impending danger, so tend to the quick fix first. Send three hour old baby to another side of the pen area with its momma. New cow and calf into the pen in the barn. Ah all is well.
Now the nut cow.
We got the calf sleigh and figured the quad would be a good security sheild to acquire said calf. this momma tosses her calf 20 feet in to the drink. Just a really cold big 3" deep puddle with thin layer of ice on top. the calf was stiff. Head back. Not another chilled calf again...third this season. did i mention the water was dirty poop infested.
Get the cow and the calf to the barn. Call the father in law to come out with my tool box of drugs and to give us a hand. Left the gate open and a pair gets out. Get the pair back in, close the gate. Calf in the barn, cow in the mat pen. No way was I going to try and save this life with a scitzo momma on the loose.
Start to get the calf dried off, waitin for my med bag, generator runs out of gas. Now in the dark. Husband had to go home to get gas, forgot to bring a refill during the day. Asked for him to bring a drench tube, colostrum powder, the good and expensive stuff, Ace (yes Ace).
Father in law arrives. helps me get a gallon of water mixed with iodine to wash the belly and navel. Calf so dirty. Then watches me wash the belly and the grab 500ml of alcohol and clean the neck area.
Now you have to remember, my father in law is of the generation of get it under a heat lamp, rub legs and sink or swim.
He watches me wide eyed as i wash his belly clean his neck..."what ever for", he says. I say cross contamination when i inject needles into him
So I am worried about pnemonia with the hypothermia, navel ill and joint ill with the soup the calf was in, and a weak and eradic heart beat.
this calf is less than an hour old, gets 6cc of nuflor SQ, anafin 2cc, 2cc of epinephrine, and vit shots.
Now the generator has the gas, is running, heat lamps are going, calf under the heat lamps (2). Calf is stiff, bellering, head back, will not curl up.
Now to the cabin i send the falther in law to heat water for the colostrum. Now the calf gets tube, fights like a dirty beggar, clenched jaw, bit hubby, he does the tubing for obvious reasons.
Still the calf is stiff, more rubbing. ask the husband to give the cow 5cc of ace. We have done this before with a skitzo cow, and it was late so do it again. He says can you do it? In the neck where? He does not give the injections...i do.
So he gets the cow in the head gate pannels her and tries to figure out where to give in the triangle. "WIFE I NEED YOU". So i get the needle, tell the cow she pi$$ed me off and give her 5 cc before she new what hit her. 2 men standing in amazement.

Back to the stiff calf. Now he has his head a little curled. I have my jacket open and he has his dirty head on my leg and shirt trying to rob me of body heat. Ah the blow dryer, yes we have an old blowdyer in the cabin. Husband gets abottle of hot water to stuff near the calf to help heat it up.

We realy should have brought it home and gave it a bath, but who is really thinking at 3am.

the cow settled, got her in the pen, settled.

at the 6 am check, calf was still stretched out under the heat lamp
at 9:30 am the cow tried to push the cow in the pannel
Called husband. "come quick bring the ace, oxytocin, tube and bottle.
tried to get the calf to suck, after tieing the leg of the cow and drugging her. Calf wanted to and he could stand for a bit but not long enough. Out comes the oxytocin, 5cc and milk the cow...dang bird wouldn't let her milk down...I fixed her black wagon. tried to get the calf to suck, to tired so tubed him again. got the calf in the barn, heat lamp, cow now after milking is gentle mentally stable momma mooing for her calf...drugs talking. now it's 12:30 time for breakfast.
2pm, drug has worn off, calf has traveled the pen abit and sitting like a normal calf.

all in a days work...not...cow is out of here in the fall...dang bird.
Oh yeah, with the leg tied, the drugs working, she kicked side ways. got the calf, not me. told her if she connected with me, hubby would let me use her for target practice.
end of story, update of calf to follow in a few days.

man your having 1 heck of a rough calving season.i really feel for you having to go through all of that.thats alot of work during the nite.

Wow, you sure have had some conundrums thus far.....and you still had to drive the little monsters to school early this morning. :help: :cry2:
Hope the rest of your calves are all healthy out of good, calm momma's. :tiphat:
>But you know what they say when it rains it pours and whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger :???:

Latest posts