Young Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

From my earlier postings you can see that I am raising to young bulls. One is an Angus and the other is a Horned Hereford. How young can I put these guys to work?

[email protected]

> From my earlier postings you can
> see that I am raising to young
> bulls. One is an Angus and the
> other is a Horned Hereford. How
> young can I put these guys to
> work? They're ready to work when they can reach the cow. Angus usually 15 to 18 months depending on the Line, Herefords a little longer.

[email protected]

How big are the bulls? We sell most of our Angus bulls at 12-14 months, as breeding bulls. But they are well grown out, weighing 12-1500 lbs. You should have a Breeding Soundness Exam (BSE) done on any bull before you turn him out with your cows. The American Angus Assn. recommends an Angus bull not be fertility tested before they are 12 months old. Can't help you with the Hereford, sorry. Good luck...

[email protected]

We figure that we are pushing are luck if we leave the young angus bulls around females at 10 months. We have had several cows and heifers bred by 8 month on bull calves. Angus should be ready to work at a year with a limit number of females.

pat

> How big are the bulls? We sell
> most of our Angus bulls at 12-14
> months, as breeding bulls. But
> they are well grown out, weighing
> 12-1500 lbs. You should have a
> Breeding Soundness Exam (BSE) done
> on any bull before you turn him
> out with your cows. The American
> Angus Assn. recommends an Angus
> bull not be fertility tested
> before they are 12 months old.
> Can't help you with the Hereford,
> sorry. Good luck...

The Angus bull is 16 mths old and approx 1500 lbs. The Hereford bull is 11 mths old, which I know is young. He weighs approx 800 - 1000 lbs. I had heard Hereford bulls mature early so I was hoping to put him to work along with the Angus bull.

[email protected]

The simple answer would be pretty much as soon as they're tall enough to do business.

Actually, the Hereford breed matures later than Angus & Simmental (both about the same age). Jeanne <A HREF="http://www.SimmeValley.com" TARGET="_blank">http://www.SimmeValley.com</A>
> The Angus bull is 16 mths old and
> approx 1500 lbs. The Hereford bull
> is 11 mths old, which I know is
> young. He weighs approx 800 - 1000
> lbs. I had heard Hereford bulls
> mature early so I was hoping to
> put him to work along with the
> Angus bull.

[email protected]