Young bull......Semen test?

Help Support CattleToday:

Red Bull Breeder":1jaw7pu2 said:
If the bull is for your own use don't worry about the semen test. About all it will tell you is if the semen is good. Won't tell you is the bull is able to breed a cow or if he has the want to to breed.

Bull is for my own use, but if he can not produce viable sperm, he does my cows no good. The test to me is more of a yes or no as opposed to a quantity and quality.

And he certainly has the "want". He bellows all day long to prove it. :lol2:

Red Bull Breeder":g7s8n4bk said:
No reason to beleive the sperm is not good have you?? If he has not been sick or injured i would not worry about it.
We had a yealring bull that failed his BSE because of deformed sperm. The tails are curled. Everything else is fine but that. We'll test him again next week to see if the new stuff is OK. As I understand it that is fairly common with young bulls the first time the ejaculate. Apparantly the sperm cells are stored all cramped up to long.

Well like I said there's two ways to find out if the bull is firing on all 8. Turn him out with the cows and see how many get bred or take out a little insurance by hauling him to the vet to get tested.

Everything else is just :deadhorse:

here in texas all bulls have tobe trich tested if they are going tobe put on cows no matter their age.

A note on Trich
http://www.cattlenetwork.com/cattle-new ... 54199.html
Trich testing is something new that should be considered for all "experienced", non-virgin bulls. Virgin bulls that have never been exposed to a breeding-age female will not be carrying this organism and do not need to be tested. However, "experienced" or non-virgin bulls of any age may potentially be carriers of Trich.
Which is another reason we run a closed herd.
MW

Carried the young bull over to the vet today. Rating: Excellent :banana:

Thanks for the help, folks.

medicinewoman":677izp6b said:
3waycross Wrote:
Come on Dun, don't be such a spoilsport. Maybe she has a special technique she can share with us.
I was thinking more along the lines of some you men who have had a vasectomy, share with us how you collected your sample 6 weeks later to taken to your doctor for testing.
MW

not that it is any of your business, but my wife went with me at 30 days, 60 days, and 90 days. After 90 days, I think she was on to me when I mentioned my 120 day appointment. :cowboy:

Latest posts