Young bull/breeding season

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
After using a two year old bull for 90 days or so they seem to loose there condition. What is the best feed to put them on after breeding season?

Our's get ground hay with a little beet pulp mixed in. If it's a particulary harsh winter a little corn. Nothing special. They do just fine on it.

On good pasture not much. Time will hwlp the most. If you grain a 10% ration will do. Put back on a bull developer.

Scotty

denoginnizer":kowzv604 said:
After using a two year old bull for 90 days or so they seem to loose there condition. What is the best feed to put them on after breeding season?

Common problem with "bull tested" bulls. A 2 year old bull that looses weight in a 90 day breeding season is not one to hold back heifers from - can you say "Hard Keeper" ? The bull will have almost 275 days to rest and get fat before using again-- if he is down so far he needs feed, he needs replacing.

How many cows do you have this bull servicing? I had a man tell me that you can tell how many cows to put on a bull by it's age. 15 months=15 cows and so on up to 30 months=30 cows. It seems to work fairly well. To many cows and a young bull can work himself to death.

JMHayes":22gddm38 said:
To many cows and a young bull can work himself to death.

Yeah but what a way to go!!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

Denoginnizer, are you wanting to put him on feed cause your worried about him not growing up to potential: stunted , because he's only 2.

By "condition" what body score do you mean?

The bull does have a long time to get back into shape. I'd be worried that giving him too much feed would make him into a pampered bull, like you see at the shows. If he can't hold his own in your pasture, it's gonna cost you. What other job could you have where someone needs you to work for three months, and then just sit back for nine recooperating?

The bull needs to have his working clothes on.Not bragging, but I recently had the vet out to do a bse on some young bulls (17-18 mos old) I have for sale and he told me that he would not hesitate to put one of them on 50 cows. :D ;-) :cboy:

Latest posts