Young Bahia

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
I have a new bahia pasture I just planted last spring.Due to drought it came up about 50% what I had hoped.Actually its looking alot better lately due to some decent rains.I usally overseed my established bahia with winter ryegrass.My question is ,would it hurt the young seedlings that are just now coming up if I overseeded the new pasture this fall.I dont wont it to have to compete with the ryegrass too much next spring.But I can mow the rye back like normal.I wont disc it .I will just culti pack the ryegrass in.I even thought about adding some clover .Will this be ok or should I leave the young bahia alone this year.

Does this ? not make since or have I found something ya'll dont know.its gotta be the first. :D

Sorry you are feeling so alone. I think they are all reading about MCOOL. The rye grass should die off before the bahia takes off. I'm glad you got rain.

You shouldn't have any problem. Matter of fact, you probably are going to have a better stand than you think since bahia has both hard and soft seed. With the drought, your soft seed probably germinated and your hard seed is probably just now getting around to it. I wouldn't worry one bit about overseeding it. Heck, I've planted millet with a grain drill and dropped bahia seed with the small seed box and when the millet was gone I had a stand of bahia the next year. Bahia is tough! What kind did you plant?

Just p-cola.I thought about trying Tift 9 but just wasnt convinced it was worth the extra money.I know bahia isnt real popular but I like its toughness and its a lot cheaper .If I had sprigged bermuda I probably would have lost it all with this drought.Plus I would have had to lime it.My bahia does fine with about 5.5 ph.All I due is put a little N to it.

jj216":mp4pbomg said:
I have a new bahia pasture I just planted last spring.Due to drought it came up about 50% what I had hoped.Actually its looking alot better lately due to some decent rains.I usally overseed my established bahia with winter ryegrass.My question is ,would it hurt the young seedlings that are just now coming up if I overseeded the new pasture this fall.I dont wont it to have to compete with the ryegrass too much next spring.But I can mow the rye back like normal.I wont disc it .I will just culti pack the ryegrass in.I even thought about adding some clover .Will this be ok or should I leave the young bahia alone this year.

Bahia can be very slow to germinate if the seed is not scarfired.
You could have seed germinating over the next year.
Just cut your rye grass when it starts going to seed don't let it fall over and smother your new growth and you should be fine.

Thanks caustic.I bet your bahia is kickin a$$ with all that rain yall been getting.I dont think it can get too much rain.Probably will grow under water.

jj216":k25yng99 said:
Just p-cola.I thought about trying Tift 9 but just wasnt convinced it was worth the extra money.I know bahia isnt real popular but I like its toughness and its a lot cheaper .

Nothing wrong with it. After this year's drought I have a renewed respect for bahia grass - its what saved me. Also, if you compare the months bahia is actively growing - it is quite impressive as well. Reminds me of a Timex watch, it just keeps on ticking. :lol: Good luck.