You like big butts? Part II

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
Who says british breeds cant have butts muscled up like euros?

Square meaters bull calf

TOO%20MO.JPG

To be honest pig butts don't impress me, what I want to see in a British beef breed is a butt that is well muscled, but I want long and soft muscle carrying down low to the hocks with width over the rump and between the pins, well developed outer thighs and well filled out inner thighs, I don't want to see the seams and I don't want to see the hooks pumping up and down like pistons when the animal is walking like I am sure will be the case with this calf. When seen from behind I want the animal to resemble an upside down horseshoe.

alacattleman":2eap12t4 said:
He is a meaty critter.

Just curious, what would you have thought he was, if I didnt say he was a SM?[/quote] Id of thought pied cross[/quote]

Yup, I would have guessed a Pied in the woodpile if not clarified.... and oh my yes, just love big butts!!!!

Looks like a good source of low grade commercial grinding meat for export. :welcome:

I have a Limi cross heifer with a butt like that.
But I would have though it was a Murray Gray cross like this calf since we don't see Square Meaters here.

Good, head neck legs muscle. back needs improvement.
I think that he is moving his left hind leg in second picture, otherwise it look a little funny?

We need good pictures to tell if bulls are good. There is nothing wrong with the back in this one.
Good bull!

Knersie/Keren,

Just wanted to get your opinion on this big butt.

ONEGICOP, I quoted myself below so we can compare your bull's hindquarter to my ideal.

KNERSIE":1qnykwm1 said:
To be honest pig butts don't impress me, what I want to see in a British beef breed

Firstly what I described is what I want to see in a British beef breed hindquarter, although we all strive for lots of quality meat there are breed specific characteristics. For my herefords to have limousin type hindquarters simply wouldn't be breed characteristic, and vice versa.

is a butt that is well muscled,

You calf certainly is well muscled.

but I want long and soft muscle carrying down low to the hocks

That is the first difference between british and continental breeds, the continental muscle tends to be a shorter harder leaner muscle. Your calf's muscle is certainly very much what you'd expect to see in a limousin. To be very nitpicking I suppose your calf could be slightly deeper quartered and the muscle could even have been a touch longer, but as I've said yours is a very good representative of the breed.

with width over the rump and between the pins, well developed outer thighs and well filled out inner thighs,

Can't fault your calf here at all, outstanding width, very good inner thighs, the outer thighs aren't filled out to potential in the rearend photo yet, a little more finish would help you achieve that.

I don't want to see the seams

In a limousin, where the claim to fame is a very high meat to bone ratio of lean meat the seams is breed characteristic and certainly not a fault in your calf

and I don't want to see the hooks pumping up and down like pistons when the animal is walking like I am sure will be the case with this calf.

That is a fault often seen in off type british breeds, although I have seen it in limousins its not the case with your calf.

When seen from behind I want the animal to resemble an upside down horseshoe.

Like I said I'd like to see a deeper quarter with a touch longer muscle, but that is marginal, the hindquarter of your calf is very impressive, his top could have been stronger especially towards the shoulders. Is it just the photo or is his tail skew?

I appreciate the comments from everyone. I know he's not perfect, but he is a sign that we are getting some things right in our breeding program. Most of that credit goes to Red Bull Breeder, he raised the sire of this calf, RJRD's D1.

Here are the results of his Igentity Profile: Tenderness = 9; Ribeye Area = 6; Marbling = 6; Yield Grade = 5; Percent Choice = 6; Fat Thickness = 4; Stayability = 6; Maternal Calving Ease = 5; Heifer Pregnancy Rate =6; Docility = 7; Myostatin = 2; Average Daily Gain = 6.

Is it just the photo or is his tail skew?

That is one of his unique quirks. Most of the time his tail is straight as a string, but at times he can put a kink in it. When he was a calf his tail got matted down with manure and when he'd switch his tail only the bottom 2/3 rds would move. He's had a little kink in it ever since, usually when he's stretching or scratching.