You haymakers help me out here!

Help Support CattleToday:

Now that I think of it, I can't say I've ever seen a 10 foot mower in Venezuela. I'm sure they're available, but the few implement vendors I've visited who have them, they all seem to be of the shorter variety.

But again, for me personally, where I suffered last season was not on the speed front....it was on the timing front.....too often waiting on someone to cut and bale my bermuda......finally cutting and baling a week or more later than optimum. I viewed that week as a week of lost growth of new material.

Understood, Whitewing. Just trying to offer a little advice. The 95 HP tractor will handle a 10 footer quite easily, though. I know what you mean about getting someone to cut rake and bale on YOUR schedule. It is quite difficult sometimes. I've often said that the only reason to own your own haying equipment is because you can work hay on your schedule, not some one else's schedule.

Good luck.

lavacarancher":2nkgnicg said:
Understood, Whitewing. Just trying to offer a little advice. The 95 HP tractor will handle a 10 footer quite easily, though. I know what you mean about getting someone to cut rake and bale on YOUR schedule. It is quite difficult sometimes. I've often said that the only reason to own your own haying equipment is because you can work hay on your schedule, not some one else's schedule.

Good luck.

It was almost exactly a year ago that I decided I had enough bermuda planted that I'd be able to cover my animal's needs and bale and sell the extra. The rains were coming down nicely and I was confident that our drought had broken.

During a discussion of my plans with my neighbor, he said, "you don't need your own equipment for that small amout of work...how about you fix my roads during the dry spells and I'll bale your hay for you?" Sounded reasonable enough to me.

I was ready to go by the 20th of June....he showed on the 9th of July for the first cut! Within a few weeks I had someone else out there baling for me. Of course, that meant giving up half of my production.

I make plenty of mistakes. I try not to make the same one twice.

Thanks for posting the pictures. I forgot what a good hay filed looks like. We have had 1.50" of rain since September of 2010.

Balin' Wire":368ukghn said:
Thanks for posting the pictures. I forgot what a good hay filed looks like. We have had 1.50" of rain since September of 2010.

Now you'll just hate me. :p

100_1891.jpg

100_1897-1.jpg

100_1948.jpg

100_1915.jpg

Latest posts