You gotta love them... (part 2)

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Lay aside you nagging concerns about Fido dying of lymphoma cause now NC State will be offering bone marrow transplants for dogs. For a mere $15,000 you can get Fifi on the road to recovery. Dr. Suter with NC State said that many people are already paying $10,000 per year to treat their cancer stricken dogs and they survive only 12 - 16 months. Suter comments on the $15,000 treatment that, "if your can say your dog has a 50% chance of being cured, I think its a no-brainer for a lot of people."

I just hope they begin offering this treatent to cattle shortly. I hope so. The mortality rate due to lymphoma in the herd is really just getting out of hand.

http://www.newsobserver.com/1565/story/1206002.html

uhhhhhhh...................that's a lotta money for fifi

did you see the part where it says dogs gotta be over 55 lbs to be eligible? that rules out most lapdogs that would be candidates anyway

it's also why alot of large animal vet are taking the easy road. and better pay.. they start out on fire, to work on cattle and horses but after being kicked and pawed at for a hundred or so dollars suddenly the glamour is all gone

Anybody that gives a hoot about their animals knows it hurts when you have to put one down. But to spend 15 grand on Fifi is just too self indulgent for me.

Can you imagine if Travis and Arliss had whined and whined so that Katie gave in and let them spend the family into bankruptcy trying to come up with a medical procedure to save their pet?

Old Yeller just wouldn't have been the same movie.

ALACOWMAN":3eqegtzh said:
what is the deal with white trash ,and pitbull's seems like ever trailor in the south has, a pitbull tied to it :p

He's guarding the stash. Heck, I'd sell them another dog for $5000 and save 'em some money.

dyates":oox6kr4v said:
ALACOWMAN":oox6kr4v said:
what is the deal with white trash ,and pitbull's seems like ever trailor in the south has, a pitbull tied to it :p

He's guarding the stash. Heck, I'd sell them another dog for $5000 and save 'em some money.
gotta be something. they take better care of em, then all 15 or 20 of their kids

i ran over the pitbull terrorist of the neigborhood with my dooly back in the spring got him with both rear tires ;-) it was like i killed a family member. but the other neighbors congratulated me

OK, to the first point.
There are folks to whom $15000 is a weekends "walkin' around" money. If they want to spend it on a dog, none of my business.
If the vets are offering payments to people who make 15 K/yr, I have a problem with the ethics of that.
To the second point.
I've never seen a pit bull in the yard where there wasn't trouble of some kind in that house.

For a while I was seeing a lot of ghetto boys walking pit bulls on leashes. I knew that wouldn't last. Just a fad. What was the profit in it? Nothing to the negative power of three. Haven't seen one now in a coon's age.

My dad was a vet and I can tell you with no uncertainty that there are people who are crazy about their pets and will spend any amount of money on them. The fella that took over my dad's practice after he died is now offering visitation rooms for the pet owner's. For the small fee of $35/hour you can sit down with your dog in a private room complete with toys and dog bisquits. One of the older employees who I keep in touch with tells me he thought the idea was crazy but the rooms are booked constantly. I just wonder if this is covered under the pet's health insurance policy. :lol2:

these people make me look like a bad pet owner. My dog ate a sock a year ago and we defenetly thought it over to see if it would pass or not before we took her to the vet to make her throw the sock up. It went in whole and came out whole, probably could of washed it and still worn it.

If they keep raising the bar on what is considered normal care for animals the animal cruelty folks may be coming to see some of us. It has already gotten bad enough. My friend, a vet, was called out to a cow farm one day cause animal control had complaints about the farmer. When he arrived there were these nosy women from the Humane Society complaining that the cows had absolutely nothing to eat. They pointed to the trough which was empty. They said they had watched it for days and it was never filled. Doc pointed at the lush green grass and explained that this is what cows prefer to eat and walked off shaking his head.

Jogeephus":1aabivs3 said:
If they keep raising the bar on what is considered normal care for animals the animal cruelty folks may be coming to see some of us. It has already gotten bad enough. My friend, a vet, was called out to a cow farm one day cause animal control had complaints about the farmer. When he arrived there were these nosy women from the Humane Society complaining that the cows had absolutely nothing to eat. They pointed to the trough which was empty. They said they had watched it for days and it was never filled. Doc pointed at the lush green grass and explained that this is what cows prefer to eat and walked off shaking his head.

Has anyone else noticed that pets are being shipped out of storm areas by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. Not PETA. Not HSUS. Aspca. Some folks get it, some don't.

With me there is a fine line between loving your dogs and just being plain dumb about how far is to far. I love my dogs and all of my animals. But if the pet has something that is terminal like cancer or whatever if the vet says hes got an x amount of time to live you got to have the common sense to think what is best for the animal not whats best for you. If there is no pain right now or suffering just let it be and when that time comes be reasonable say good bye. At least when u say good bye you know that you are doing the right thing and you had many good years together.

One of the hardest things I had to do is when my beloved Shutz tzu sp? Patches all of a sudden fell ill on me. She was one of my best dogs in a long while I got her to the vet and not long afterwards she went into a diabetic coma. We had no idea she had it. The vet told me its gonna cost thousands of dollars for her to pull of out of this if she ever does. She is suffering do you want to try or let her go. My choice? I went to the vet held her and said good bye. I cried for weeks but after that I knew she was in a better place. People just need common sense these days.

That reminds me of a dog a lady brought to the clinic. Something on the lines of a medium sized terrier. The lady adored the dog. Lady was concerned over its weight. It should have weighed around 15 lbs but it weighed nearly 25. We found out it had a huge tumor in its stomache. The lady insisted that we do whatever to try to save the dog's life but dad explained the odds were very slim. But we went ahead and operated. Had Red, the blood dog pumping as much blood as she could as we operated for 7 hours. Dad even let me get my hands in there to cauterize. When it was over, we pulled an 8 lb tumor out of the dog and it lived. The lady was so happy. She asked how much and dad said there was no charge. This had nothing to do with money.

Not far from here a lady just died from a pitbull attack. Owner left them unchained and this elderly lady was checking the mail. They saw her and attacked her. She lived (or suffered) in icu for several weeks before dying. The owner got a fine! The local vigilante will probably take care of him soon..i hope at least.

I am a landscape contractor and deal with a clientelle that lives more on the hog than the average man. I would say 80% of my clients have house dogs. Maybe more, and it amazes me to see how much they spend on these mutts. I was working at a house the other day and there was this wierd van there and I asked the "help" who that was and she said it was the lady who comes once a week to give the dog a massage!