You didn't hear this from me.......

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I moved some cows for a friend last week to the sale barn. We left a " pair" in the pasture. A momma cow and her calf. I honestly don't know much more than that. They were a pair of white faced black cattle. My friend calls me today to tell me the " calf" had a calf! I told him " That is what you get when you don't wean em!" I wonder is the cow bred back? It was either a longhorn or a beefmaster that bred em. How does that work and what can he expect next? I told him to vaccinate the calf......I don't know what to do next. Not great Bovine science but what I experienced. What do you think? Thanks in advance.

The calf left on the cow that had not been weened or separated at an appropriate age was obviously bred by a bull calf that had the same history.
If they don't give a crap about their herd you shouldn't either . :wave:

Maybe the cow had another calf. I think the cow would have calved a second calf before her previous calf calved her first.

Hippie Rancher":epl5d6q6 said:
huh?

I think you might have left out some words/info.
I think he is saying that his friend left a calf on a cow instead of weaning it. The calf that is still nursing the cow had a calf of it's own.

His friend should learn to say no to crack.

Isomade":31b4mvtg said:
Hippie Rancher":31b4mvtg said:
huh?

I think he is saying that his friend left a calf on a cow instead of weaning it. The calf that is still nursing the cow had a calf of it's own.

Thank you............now what happens? :) I am so glad you understand texmex........

Kingfisher":2fxp025w said:
Isomade":2fxp025w said:
Hippie Rancher":2fxp025w said:
huh?

Thank you............now what happens? :) I am so glad you understand texmex........

Tell them to separate the old calf and the new pair. They should be fine.

Obviously I do not understand hillbilly :p :lol:

should do what the devil they obviously been doing......

leave em to their own devices and go back in four or five years and round up another trailer load.

ga.prime":1v1l5fnf said:
Maybe the cow had another calf. I think the cow would have calved a second calf before her previous calf calved her first.
That is what I am thinking too...........it just so happened to be sucking on the " calf" when he saw them.

ga.prime":1o299tvo said:
Well I spoke with my buddy again today..........he's confident that the calf came from the heifer calf. He says the momma cow is pregnant............what if anything different should he do with the group? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":2t2eodog said:
what if anything different should he do with the group? Thanks in advance.

If the heifer is still sucking on the cow they need to be separated. and if the cow drops her next calf pretty soon it may need some extra colostrum if he can get it - the heifer may have been stealing it (and the heifer's new calf may go to stealing it too - in a group like this they will likely let each other's calves take from either momma - not a big huge deal, except for the colostrum and if one calf is bigger than the other and gets greedy. Not the best way to manage but not that bad for the animals if everybody has enough to eat. If the heifer is real young she probably will need some extra feed.

with 957 posts you either aint serious or should know enough to either answer him yerself or know enough of what kind of questions not to ask on here

sell em all and be done with it...go back to drinkin

Latest posts