borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in
return is
enough to bury those that did not return.'

You could have
heard a pin drop.

A Canadian
Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals
from the
Canadian, US, English, Australian and French Navies.

At a cocktail
reception, he found himself standing with a large group of
officers that
included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone
was chatting
away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French
Admiral suddenly
complained that, whereas Europeans learn many languages,
North Americans
generally learn only English. He then asked, 'Why is it
that we always
have to speak English in these conferences rather than
speaking
French?'

Without hesitating, the Canadian Admiral replied 'Maybe it's
because the
Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you
wouldn't have
to speak German.'

You could have heard a pin drop

When Robert Whiting, an elderly Canadian gentleman of 83, arrived
in Paris
by plane he took a few minutes to locate his passport in his carry
on at
French Customs.

'You have been to France before, monsieur?' the
customs officer asked
sarcastically.

Mr. Whiting admitted that he had
been to France previously.

The official replied, 'Then you should know
enough to have your passport
ready.'

The Canadian said, 'The last time
I was here, I didn't have to show it.'

'Impossible, Monsieur.
Canadians always have to show passports on arrival
in France!'

The
Canadian senior gave the Frenchman a long hard look. Then he
quietly
explained, 'Well, when I came ashore on D-Day in 1944 to help
liberate
this country, I couldn't find a single Frenchmen to show a passport
to.'

You could have heard a pin drop.

Canadians are
Cool.

Sean M":3dlt4t0y said:
The first one is a bit wrong, France has got 3000 troops in Afghanistan and has had 36 killed there.

I'd say it's more than a bit wrong. The quote in the first story was made by Colin Powell, not Steven Harper, and it was made in a completely different context that had nothing to do with the French.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/powell.asp

As for the other two stories, I've seen similar e-mails, but they involved an American admiral and a retired American teacher named Robert Whiting. I can't find anything on them, but I suspect they're bogus, too. No offense to Carlos or our other Canadian friends, but I think you've been had.

VanC":2kfh09gg said:
Sean M":2kfh09gg said:
The first one is a bit wrong, France has got 3000 troops in Afghanistan and has had 36 killed there.

I'd say it's more than a bit wrong. The quote in the first story was made by Colin Powell, not Steven Harper, and it was made in a completely different context that had nothing to do with the French.

As for the other two stories, I've seen similar e-mails, but they involved an American admiral and a retired American teacher named Robert Whiting. I can't find anything on them, but I suspect they're bogus, too. No offense to Carlos or our other Canadian friends, but I think you've been had.

They were all made up from day one, but still a good story........ ;-)

I have seen this under several different titles and variations - but it allows me to bring this to the story.

Last week - near Damascus - five of the seven Canadians serving in this area attended a small service to honour the dead (Canada, Australia, New Zealand, U.S. of A, United Kingdom and France) that still lay in a small graveyard Syria. Along with the Canadians were six Australians and a couple of new Zealanders.

They are reasonably well looked after in their graves - it only seemed proper as 11 Nov was close and their families could never attend this site.

As well Maj Chris Mariner's (Canadian) memorial at OP 54 in the Area of Separation between Israel and Syria was cleaned up (my second time as I am now in year two over here) and a small international crew from Sweden, Norway, Holland and Canada made sure it was good to go for yet another year.

Never thought I would ever be a grave keeper in my spare time - but it felt good doing it.

Lots of little sites around the world that never made the papers because it was a "little show" and ignored by the media AND their own country.

When we are gone from this area we can only hope that others keep things in order at the grave sites. Just one small thing from one military guy to another.

In the old days we left them where they fell.

This poem - well known to Canadians was read as part of the services - it is from WW1 and the man who wrote it lived only a couple miles from the house I now live in when I am at home. In fact I know his relatives very well.

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

In Flanders Fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields

Amazing how much these small things mean to me when I am away for so long

Regards

Bez+

Those are good stories, and come in many Countries saying them, they are always poignant and more so today as it is Rememberance Sunday. Lest We Forget. God Rest Their Souls. amen.

I have rethought this post and decided ,that it wasn,t really fair of me to do this ----My wife went to
France a couple years ago. She travelled to the Normandy area, and while on her way stopped at a local roadside restaurant. They enjoyed a traditional french meal. During the meal it was revealed she was from Canada, and they were treated royally. The trip continued to a museum dedicated to the war. The museum clearly depicts how the Canadians, British, Americans etc came to the rescue of the French during WWII. A sense of gratitude was felt as she toured the museum. Not far from there is a cemetary, which is the final resting place for many Canadian soldiers. The cemetary is maintained to a standard she has never seen before. There is not a blade of grass or a leaf out of place. Several maple trees shed their leaves on the Canadian soldiers graves. The headstones lined up perfectly with the names and ages of several young men. Several of the headstones, gave the name as "a soldier known only unto God". Most of the headstones gave the date of death as June 6, 1944. It was impossible to stand in the midst of these brave men and not shed tears as the maple trees shed their leaves upon the graves. At the gate of the cemetary a book held all the names of these men. The French continue to display their gratitude for the Canadian soldiers and all soldiers who came to their aid so many years ago. I believe there is also a cemetary for the American soldiers, however my wife did not go to that one. I think you can google American Cemetary in France and find the name of it. It is certainly worth the trip. I believe that no one could walk away without holding onto the belief that never again should their be war. When my wife shares her experience of the museum and cemetary tears fill her eyes.

VanC":32h7lnf0 said:
Sean M":32h7lnf0 said:

Not meaning to hijack the thread but it is good to hear from you! I have been wondering if you were ok or just busy.

Carlos I know what you mean these grave yards and the fields where the troops fell are kept prestine, there is grass now grown over the trenches and poppies fill the area at certain time of the year and the sight is so pretty, then you think of all the men on all sides that died there and it sometimes makes you think for what? The French are not that accomadating to the English and alas nor us to them so you can't complain. but that goes way back further than WW1. I have visited the area a few times now and never tire of seeing it.
My Daughter went to see Auschwitz a few month ago and she said it was so sad, to see all the atrocities there that went on, that is one place I would like to go.

Carlos I have the same experience when travelling through Europe. It is bone chilling to hear the stories and see the now newly built buildings that were destroyed . We honeymooned in Europe and stayed at a very beautiful hotel in Bremen that was owned and operated by two Auschwitz survivors, the hotel had been restored but the basement was original. They were the kindest sweetest couple one could have ever met. They truly got a kick out of me being a Canadian and marrying a some what local. :lol: I would love to return to that same hotel the next time we visit but I can't remember the name and we payed cash as Europe didn't accept Visa at that time only mastercard.. :???:

Carlos D.":2qzs82z0 said:
I have rethought this post and decided ,that it wasn,t really fair of me to do this ----My wife went to
France a couple years ago. She travelled to the Normandy area, and while on her way stopped at a local roadside restaurant. They enjoyed a traditional french meal. During the meal it was revealed she was from Canada, and they were treated royally. The trip continued to a museum dedicated to the war. The museum clearly depicts how the Canadians, British, Americans etc came to the rescue of the French during WWII. A sense of gratitude was felt as she toured the museum. Not far from there is a cemetary, which is the final resting place for many Canadian soldiers. The cemetary is maintained to a standard she has never seen before. There is not a blade of grass or a leaf out of place. Several maple trees shed their leaves on the Canadian soldiers graves. The headstones lined up perfectly with the names and ages of several young men. Several of the headstones, gave the name as "a soldier known only unto God". Most of the headstones gave the date of death as June 6, 1944. It was impossible to stand in the midst of these brave men and not shed tears as the maple trees shed their leaves upon the graves. At the gate of the cemetary a book held all the names of these men. The French continue to display their gratitude for the Canadian soldiers and all soldiers who came to their aid so many years ago. I believe there is also a cemetary for the American soldiers, however my wife did not go to that one. I think you can google American Cemetary in France and find the name of it. It is certainly worth the trip. I believe that no one could walk away without holding onto the belief that never again should their be war. When my wife shares her experience of the museum and cemetary tears fill her eyes.

That's a great story, Carlos. Thanks. Somewhere along the line we've gotten the idea that everyone in Europe hates us, but it's simply not true.

mwj":39pvyf8r said:
VanC":39pvyf8r said:
Sean M":39pvyf8r said:

Not meaning to hijack the thread but it is good to hear from you! I have been wondering if you were ok or just busy.

Thank you for asking. I have been battling some health problems, but am much better now. One of these days I'll fill everyone in when I feel up to it.

VanC":y3uj32z0 said:
Somewhere along the line we've gotten the idea that everyone in Europe hates us, .

Good post. I don't know if it's true or not. It appears to be true to some extent from what I read and I have been taught not to pay much attention to that. There may be a big bear of a reason that has become smaller and will change that in the distant future as we die off.

Van hang in there and get to feeling better before you try butting heads with this group :p

VanC":1vuxmfrw said:
[ Thats a great story, Carlos. Thanks. Somewhere along the line we've gotten the idea that everyone in Europe hates us, but it's simply not true.

Van I was in Europe when the world trade center was attacked, I am sorry, but you would be shocked at the reaction the Europeans had. My husband and I were appalled and disgusted, especially because so many people from different countries were murdered that day , and all the firefighters and police that were doing their jobs to save and protect people. They lumped it all into one , people even laughed..

Maybe we as a free world can finally join together and fight the real fight ,, that fight is freedom.. I think the new generation of Europeans are being brainwashed ,I truly do not understand them. I just hope that they get a clue really soon and realize that freedom is a privilege not a right.

Chrisy, I am not talking about the UK, England is still considered our mother country to most here in Canada. ;-)

hillsdown":5zkejdvm said:
VanC":5zkejdvm said:
[ Thats a great story, Carlos. Thanks. Somewhere along the line we've gotten the idea that everyone in Europe hates us, but it's simply not true.

Van I was in Europe when the world trade center was attacked, I am sorry, but you would be shocked at the reaction the Europeans had. My husband and I were appalled and disgusted, especially because so many people from different countries were murdered that day , and all the firefighters and police that were doing their jobs to save and protect people. They lumped it all into one , people even laughed..

Maybe we as a free world can finally join together and fight the real fight ,, that fight is freedom.. I think the new generation of Europeans are being brainwashed ,I truly do not understand them. I just hope that they get a clue really soon and realize that freedom is a privilege not a right.

Chrisy, I am not talking about the UK, England is still considered our mother country to most here in Canada. ;-)
Thanks HD...I can't say I saw anyone laugh here, I was in tears when I saw it on the NEWS as was a lot of people here, What part of Europe were you in? not everyone in Europe hates us, as quoted by Van is sort of true 10% - 20% might not, the rest will, they Hate Britain to....we see that when there are competitions held ie the Eurovision none of the Baltic states vote for us, and all the rest just give us one point, and the song this year was worth more than that. So onward and upward together we will stand. :tiphat:

chrisy":1gp7a3tg said:
not everyone in Europe hates us, as quoted by Van is sort of true 10% - 20% might not, the rest will, they Hate Britain to....we see that when there are competitions held ie the Eurovision none of the Baltic states vote for us, and all the rest just give us one point, and the song this year was worth more than that. So onward and upward together we will stand. :tiphat:

Good post.