You’re old

Help Support CattleToday:

I was about 45 when I first started working for the conservation district. There was a cute young college intern. She said I reminded her of her grandpa. That was a low blow.
Ouch!

Nowadays it seems some grey in the mane is a desirable trait for the young ladies. Just ask my wife!

Seriously, there's a shortage of men at a younger age, or should I say the age one becomes a man is getting to be a higher number. My dad's generation, you were a man at 18, sometimes earlier. Looking back, I wasn't what I would call a man until 21-22. Thought I was earlier but wasn't quite there yet. Today, lots of mid 30's boys to be had.

Ouch!

Nowadays it seems some grey in the mane is a desirable trait for the young ladies. Just ask my wife!

Seriously, there's a shortage of men at a younger age, or should I say the age one becomes a man is getting to be a higher number. My dad's generation, you were a man at 18, sometimes earlier. Looking back, I wasn't what I would call a man until 21-22. Thought I was earlier but wasn't quite there yet. Today, lots of mid 30's boys to be had.
I've mentioned on here before that my son got married last year when he was just shy of 19, his bride was 18, they've been married a year now and are doing great, have a good savings account, each already started their own Roth IRA, he goes to college and works, she works full time as well. People acted like my wife and I were crazy for allowing them to get married, I didn't allow him to do anything he was a grown man. My wife and I got married at 18 and 17 and made it fine. It's just not the norm anymore for young people to grow up and go out on their own at a young age, and when they do it's kinda frowned on. My opinion is if you can't teach them right from wrong and how to be an adult in 18 years, what makes people think them living at home until 30 is going to teach them more. There is quite a learning curve going out on your own at 18 but if you have the right upbringing, alot of try, and surround yourself with people that give good advice you'll be okay.

I've mentioned on here before that my son got married last year when he was just shy of 19, his bride was 18, they've been married a year now and are doing great, have a good savings account, each already started their own Roth IRA, he goes to college and works, she works full time as well. People acted like my wife and I were crazy for allowing them to get married, I didn't allow him to do anything he was a grown man. My wife and I got married at 18 and 17 and made it fine. It's just not the norm anymore for young people to grow up and go out on their own at a young age, and when they do it's kinda frowned on. My opinion is if you can't teach them right from wrong and how to be an adult in 18 years, what makes people think them living at home until 30 is going to teach them more. There is quite a learning curve going out on your own at 18 but if you have the right upbringing, alot of try, and surround yourself with people that give good advice you'll be okay.
At 18 and graduated from HS we had two choices. We could pack or Dad would pack for us.

No sense in running, when walking fast will do the job!
Might waste a good run. Gotta save that for later..
When I was working in the woods they had a saying. Run in for your job and out for your life.

They were serious. If you didn't run in you would be looking for another job tomorrow. If you didn't run out for your life, sooner or later you would get killed or seriously injured.

I heard the same thing about having my son at 18. Most those so called adults needed to worry about taking care of their own mess of a life and less about mine.

Kind of like people on this board who talk about young people's work ethic but can't follow basic forum rules. 🤣

My cousin had been bitten by a dog; my uncle called the dog catcher to do something about the dog, and he was told that the dog had to bite three different people before they could do anything about it. He told them he would go take care of the dog, and they sent the police to watch him so that he would not shoot that dog.

I couldn't possibly have slowed down any, but there are times I swear the cows are getting faster!
Seems like my cows are faster as well. One advantage I can see is that I used to get peeved because it got dark before I was ready.
I solved that problem by turning on lights. As time went by and I become more efficient I discovered I could find all I wanted to do
in shorter amounts of time. I have fine tuned it now so that I can achieve the level of fatigue that used to take 16 hours down to
2 or 3 hours a day. Now that is what I call progress!

Gravity works much better than it use to. I took a nose dive getting off the tractor a month ago. That bottom step is what, maybe 18 inches off the ground. I just laid there hurting. I rode bucking horses in rodeos! Hit the ground coming from a lot higher up than that. Bounced right to my feet no problem.