Yet, another mineral tag

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
Here's what I feed, and it's supposed to be great for my area. I'd be interested in opinions on the quality, because I pay a premium.

Just a typical mineral Bigfoot. A lot of salt, a lot of calcium and reduced phosphorus. Should be very reasonably priced. Elevated level of selenium makes me wonder if feeding rate is only 2 oz per head per day as that amount is illegal here unless it's 2 oz per day however, nothing else in the vitamins and minerals is elevated which it really should be if the recommended consumption rate is only 2 oz per head per day.

TexasBred":1nb4tjok said:
Just a typical mineral Bigfoot. A lot of salt, a lot of calcium and reduced phosphorus. Should be very reasonably priced. Elevated level of selenium makes me wonder if feeding rate is only 2 oz per head per day as that amount is illegal here unless it's 2 oz per day however, nothing else in the vitamins and minerals is elevated which it really should be if the recommended consumption rate is only 2 oz per head per day.

I was afraid of that. $21 a bag, and buy 40 at a time. Selenium is supposedly what my area is low in.

To me, that's a high price for a bag of minerals. I pay about half that for a bag of hi mag mineral that I use throughout the year.

Here's what I'm feeding, I use the AMPT-A on the stocker calves and the AMPT-T on the cattle.
I can't find the tag for it online, I'm sure it's somewhere there. I'll try and remember to get a pic of it.
This isn't a cheap mineral though.
On this one I also put salt beside it for the cows. The calves get a exact amount mixed it their feed daily.
http://www.admani.com/AMPT/Choices.htm

kilroy60":q4de94ez said:
To me, that's a high price for a bag of minerals. I pay about half that for a bag of hi mag mineral that I use throughout the year.
You can bet you last dollar it is pretty worthless. Quality ingredients in mineral are expensive.

TexasBred":1qbuktxx said:
kilroy60":1qbuktxx said:
You can bet you last dollar it is pretty worthless. Quality ingredients in mineral are expensive.

My guess is Kilroy60's mineral is red in color.

True Grit Farms":fnxb4iod said:
TexasBred":fnxb4iod said:
kilroy60":fnxb4iod said:

The purina wind and rain that has the chelated minerals(availa 4) is red.....from the iron oxide I presume, and its not cheap....$24 or more a bag.
Not sure why feed companies do that because the iron oxide is completely unavailable I'm told.
My brother feeds Moormans minerals which have historically been considered a high quality and expensive mineral, and it is red.....with iron oxide.
I was told years ago by a local extension agent not to feed any mineral that is red because iron oxide is just rust.
Anyway, I like red purina that TB and others use except for the price. Maybe someone can shed some light on the red iron oxide issue.

Banjo":1f046ego said:
I was told years ago by a local extension agent not to feed any mineral that is red because iron oxide is just rust.
Anyway, I like red purina that TB and others use except for the price. Maybe someone can shed some light on the red iron oxide issue.

It's a big pricey Banjo but a good mineral and I'm not even a Purina fan. But I do now that ALL the zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt in it are chelated. Jed uses the ADM mineral. Excellent minerals but usually even higher than Purina. $25 would be a good ball park figure for a good mineral with at least a portion of the minerals in chelated form and not extremely high in salt and calcium.

More and more companies are now just using a colored pigment instead of the old red iron oxide. Cargill has red, green, gold and black I think....just color.

TexasBred":21rcf20w said:
Banjo":21rcf20w said:

It's a big pricey Banjo but a good mineral and I'm not even a Purina fan. But I do now that ALL the zinc, manganese, copper and cobalt in it are chelated. Jed uses the ADM mineral. Excellent minerals but usually even higher than Purina. $25 would be a good ball park figure for a good mineral with at least a portion of the minerals in chelated form and not extremely high in salt and calcium.

More and more companies are now just using a colored pigment instead of the old red iron oxide. Cargill has red, green, gold and black I think....just color.
And all this time I thought you loved Purina TB!! :cowboy:

ADM is high but it's the only dealer we have here but the big thing is it comes with a nutritionist that really knows his stuff.
I'm not one for using a consultant from a company that's selling a product but in this area there isn't much choice and like I said this guy is really good.
I actually use to order mineral from sunbelt minerals in Texas. I had to buy either 4 or 5 tons at a time. It wasn't much cheaper from there. Good people and product though.

True Grit Farms":37jryzln said:
TexasBred":37jryzln said:
kilroy60":37jryzln said:

I'm in NE Ga. Mineral is brown in color.

Yes, quality ingredients in mineral are expensive. But why would you pay twice the cost for the same content? If you're concerned about the quality or if you just have basic questions, get in touch with your county extension agent for his input. Our cattleman's association has been very fortunate to have UGA professors and to attend and discuss things from minerals to grass/hay and have been very helpful with providing information to help with these things and to get the best bang for the buck. I would even think your local vet could provide info on mineral content and needs too.

I finished off my second pallet of mineral for the year about 3 weeks ago. I need to buy another one before Jan 31st. Keep hoping I'll stumble on a good deal. Thought I had one, but it doesn't sound like it's anything special---------in quality or price.

TN Cattle Man":17crfu25 said:
TexasBred":17crfu25 said:
Banjo":17crfu25 said:

And all this time I thought you loved Purina TB!! :cowboy:
I do love the Purina Mineral I'm using. Only one that meets "my" specs.....their feeds (with the exception of Accuration) varies from junk to average. Nothing special about any of it except pretty bags. :lol: :lol: (Sorry TN). :nod:

kilroy60":39j7qx29 said:
True Grit Farms":39j7qx29 said:
TexasBred":39j7qx29 said:

I'm in NE Ga. Mineral is brown in color.

Yes, quality ingredients in mineral are expensive. But why would you pay twice the cost for the same content? If you're concerned about the quality or if you just have basic questions, get in touch with your county extension agent for his input. Our cattleman's association has been very fortunate to have UGA professors and to attend and discuss things from minerals to grass/hay and have been very helpful with providing information to help with these things and to get the best bang for the buck. I would even think your local vet could provide info on mineral content and needs too.

You wouldn't pay twice as much for the same content. I'm simply saying from the price, I question the content, the quality of the content and if you're really getting what you need. A for vets they're vets....not nutritionist and most will tell you that. But they can run test on animals and tell you what deficiencies they may have if any.

I don't have a tag handy to compare and to let you know what's what. However, I do know that the mineral we feed is of a good quality and is a well balanced mineral for our area. I don't know if what works well for us in our area would work well in your area or not. Our area is low on copper and some farmers have a special mix with added copper for their herd. From all I've come across and the info that I've been presented, a good mineral program shouldn't cost more than $20 - $25 per head per year. A lot of farmers buy by brand name (Purina, etc.) and pay extra just for that. I'm not knocking farmers that do that buy I can't afford to buy the name when it doesn't help.

kilroy60":o04ze4v4 said:
I don't have a tag handy to compare and to let you know what's what. However, I do know that the mineral we feed is of a good quality and is a well balanced mineral for our area. I don't know if what works well for us in our area would work well in your area or not. Our area is low on copper and some farmers have a special mix with added copper for their herd. From all I've come across and the info that I've been presented, a good mineral program shouldn't cost more than $20 - $25 per head per year. A lot of farmers buy by brand name (Purina, etc.) and pay extra just for that. I'm not knocking farmers that do that buy I can't afford to buy the name when it doesn't help.
I certainly hope you're getting what you need also and at the price you quoted. It's a steal. Personally I could care less what brand name is on it as long as it's what I want and need. In my case it's $25 but I also know I'm paying extra for the chelated minerals. I add another $3 a bag to it by adding IGR on the farm. Mineral is one of the lesser expenses on the place yet one of the most important.

Latest posts