Yet, another mineral tag

Help Support CattleToday:

He's a run of the mill $17.00 dollar mineral that I use in my feed, I mix a bag to the ton. Free choice I feed a breeders mineral that's $22.50 a bag.

my 'buddy' told me about this great mineral he's been using. So I ordered 20 bags to see how it was. I about didn't buy it but he ordered it for me so I did. It was nothing but grain, salt, and alfalfa. a little bit of vitamins..

I thought i was buying mineral not really expensive bagged feed.. haha.. 25 / bag for this junk.

Anyone buy the countryside organics kelp? i've bought it before but its been a long time now and that was for my sheep.

ddd75":28wmzifk said:
my 'buddy' told me about this great mineral he's been using. So I ordered 20 bags to see how it was. I about didn't buy it but he ordered it for me so I did. It was nothing but grain, salt, and alfalfa. a little bit of vitamins..

I thought i was buying mineral not really expensive bagged feed.. haha.. 25 / bag for this junk.

Anyone buy the countryside organics kelp? i've bought it before but its been a long time now and that was for my sheep.
Why?? All you get from it is a bit of iodine.

You don't need to get advice from company "X" nutritionalist. It is handy though.

It not the question if its in there or not, but is it available. Chelated were mentioned. They are the most available of the lessor minerals. Calcium, phosphorus, etc don't come that way. Oxides are the least available. Usually your cheaper products.

I live I an area blessed with high levels of mineral in our grass/water. I know a lot of good operators that use a mineral with a lot of oxides. Seams tonwork for them. I highly doubt its under $15 a bag/$600 a ton. What I use this time of year when I contracted was $680 a ton. The stuff I'll switch to shortly for precalving through first cycle is around $750. Its not chelated, but no oxides either.

I had an extension agent tell me mineral is like insurance. If you can check often, can pasture doctor, and aren't short on anything naturally you can use a cheaper mineral.....insurance with a high deductible. Made sense to me so I tried what his recommended mix was for this area after hundreds of grass & water samples from 8 counties. It had a little phos & zinc. A few other things, but the formulation was 68% salt. That might of hurt intakes, idk. Anyway I tried it as phos took a major jump that year. Preg check & weaning weight was fine. I had the worst case of foot rot & pink eye I've ever had. Treated proabaly 75% for one or the other. I can't rope. It'd always be when I needed to do other things. Was it cheaper to treat with antibiotics instead of buying better mineral probably. I'm sure my example is an oddity. It did convience me to buy a good mineral so I dont have problems. I'd rather have lower deductible with better coverage.

I have a question for TB and anybody else. Are Proteinates as available to the cow as amino acid complexes?
Are Proteinates more available than sulfates?

Banjo":2n79zax5 said:
I have a question for TB and anybody else. Are Proteinates as available to the cow as amino acid complexes?
Are Proteinates more available than sulfates?
Specific amino acid complexes are the products resulting from complexing a soluble metal salt with a specific amino acid. For instance, one of the most common metal complexes is zinc methionine which is produced by combining zinc sulfate and amino acid methionine. Other such common complexes include copper lysine and manganese methionine. These complexes are most effective and efficiently absorbed in gut among all the organic minerals. Proteinates may be a bit more soluble than sulfates but and are considerably more soluble than oxides but do not compare with the amino acid complexes.I think of proteinates as what companies use in order to says they have organic minerals in their mix but at the same time are trying to "least cost" the product. I personally prefer and use the amino acid complexes (specifically Zinpro Corporation products) in feeds and minerals as I feel they simply have much more research behind them, a long history of success and are cost effective. Remember when using these you can have a much smaller amount of the specific minerals in the mix because of the greater bio-availability so this offsets a lot of the increased cost.

TexasBred":2gdknd5e said:
ddd75":2gdknd5e said:

doesn't kelp have every mineral found in the bloodstream? or something like that.

ddd75":3vepurtz said:
TexasBred":3vepurtz said:
ddd75":3vepurtz said:

doesn't kelp have every mineral found in the bloodstream? or something like that.
Vitamins as well but all in minuscule amounts other than calcium and iodine and both can be had in much higher concentrations and much lower price sources than kelp.

TexasBred":1fyh4cj1 said:
ddd75":1fyh4cj1 said:
TexasBred":1fyh4cj1 said:

Vitamins as well but all in minuscule amounts other than calcium and iodine and both can be had in much higher concentrations and much lower price sources than kelp.

ah.. ok.. thank you! 8)

Latest posts